Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So has anyone got a 1987 car on a ZV?

Options
  • 02-01-2017 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

As the heading question, and I know it's a bit early in the year yet but the question must be asked if anyone comes across an imported 1987 car being issued with a ZV plate. I only ask because it's surely going to happen as the muppets in charge haven't a clue and in a historical context it will be wrong to issue ZV numbers to post 86 cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

This will be interesting alright! My bet is that they will issue ZV's to '87 vehicles!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Once it's over 30 years old it can get a ZV reg, no mention of 1987 or 2017.

(1C) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (1), (1A) and
    (1B), the identification mark assigned by the Commissioners under
    section 131(5) of the Act to a vehicle which the Commissioners are
    satisfied was constructed or first brought into use more than 30 years
    prior to the time of registration, and the person applying for registration
    so requests, shall consist of an index mark ZV and a unique
    number.”,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/si/452/made/en/pdf

The whole vintage registration system needs overhauling again, the numbers are too long anyway.
    Is anyone batting on our behalf up there in Dail Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Loads of 1987 Land Rovers running around on ZV plates but we probably not allowed to say that!

Silvera wrote: »
    This will be interesting alright! My bet is that they will issue ZV's to '87 vehicles!?!

Why would its owner want to do that? ZV plates were a 'sort of answer' to looking a bit original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Ironically, in Dublin at least, a ZV 11nnn reg may seem slightly less rubbish/out-of-context than an 87-D-120nnn one... tough decision - do I want a sh1tty registration, or a cr4ppy one?

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »
    Ironically, in Dublin at least, a ZV 11nnn reg may seem slightly less rubbish/out-of-context than an 87-D-120nnn one... tough decision - do I want a sh1tty registration, or a cr4ppy one?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i intend swapping my 87 to a ZV shortly...it's actually an 85 vehicle first reg in 87 so a ZV would seem to me more suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

hi5 wrote: »
    The whole vintage registration system needs overhauling again, the numbers are too long anyway.
    Is anyone batting on our behalf up there in Dail Eireann?

In short - it would seem not! There is currently no interest in making any changes to the current system...they even have the 'ZV' paper forms set up (i.e. with 8 x boxes) in order to go over 100,000! :rolleyes:

Come on IVVCC...start pushing for a new 'vintage plate' system!!

Advertisement