Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace is bankrupt....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Financially or intellectually? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Well justice would imply that the law is carried out, and as your link says
    The law disqualifying a bankrupt from being a member of the Dáil was abolished in 2014 so his bankruptcy will have no effect on Mr Wallace's Dáil seat.

So...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

....But won't loose his seat in the Dail

Maybe he just needs to tighten it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

I read that Wallace won't even loose his dail seat.

It's spelled LOSE goddammit .... LOSE !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Just when I thought ,some good news. I read that Wallace won't even loose his dail seat.

The law was changed, what do you expect him to do resign.. ha.. ha.. ha.. Irish politicians don't resign no matter what. Noonan, Ahern, Lowry etc just a few examples of whom should have resigned but didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Can his salary be taken to pay those he ripped off?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you can't lose your job and do time for deliberately under declaring €2mill of tax to Revenue, surely becoming bankrupt will have no implications either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭techdiver

Regardless of your feelings towards Wallace, why should being bankrupt disqualify someone from being a member of the Dáil?

It's a unique Irish obsession that being bankrupt is a modern day leprosy or something. Businesses go to the wall all the time. Should no one ever take the risk to set up a business here??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

€30m in debt, that is a serious amount of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

techdiver wrote: »
    Regardless of your feelings towards Wallace, why should being bankrupt disqualify someone from being a member of the Dáil?

It's a unique Irish obsession that being bankrupt is a modern day leprosy or something. Businesses go to the wall all the time. Should none ever take the risk to set up a business here??
    Yeah. Shane filan is still going round singing. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

€30m in debt, that is a serious amount of cheese.
    Don't particularly like him. But he's a million times better than leo the lad. !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It's a unique Irish obsession that being bankrupt is a modern day leprosy or something. Businesses go to the wall all the time. Should no one ever take the risk to set up a business here??

The issue is not that he went our of business. It's because he tax dodged and ripped people off. The guy is a criminal and is involved in deciding where the tax I didn't dodge gets spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Seems to be a British one as well maybe...

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/12/snp-mp-ahmed-sheikh-could-lose-seat-over-hmrc-court-action.html
    If an MP is declared bankrupt they can’t take their seats in the Commons, and if the issue is not resolved within six months the seat is vacated and a by-election is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

The issue is not that he went our of business. It's because he tax dodged and ripped people off. The guy is a criminal and is involved in deciding where the tax I didn't dodge gets spent.

Is he? Don't remember him ever being in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Hon the Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There you are. If you want to be successful, it's go big or go home. Don't be a chump borrowing €300k here and there - borrow €30m and you too can walk away with a €90k salary (plus expenses and generous holidays) and the roof over your head.

Is he? Don't remember him ever being in government.

If he's in the Dail he gets to vote on the budget, surely you are aware of this right? So yes he has power and influence towards it, no more than any other non government TD but way too much for a crook like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is he really bankrupt tho?
    You know yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

If he's in the Dail he gets to vote on the budget, surely you are aware of this right? So yes he has power and influence towards it, no more than any other non government TD but way too much for a crook like him.

Yes, I'm aware he is in the dail. You're also aware that his vote on the budget means nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1219/839950-mick-wallace/

Just when I thought ,some good news. I read that Wallace won't even loose his dail seat.

Where is justice in this world ?:)

Nestlé convinced mothers in Africa their breastmilk was bad and to replace it with their formula - even though the water available to them was generally wriggling with disease making children up to 20 times more likely to die.
    If there is justice in this world, whatever scant traces there are better not be wasted on some pokey, Irish, fence hopping stoner.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm aware he is in the dail. You're also aware that his vote on the budget means nothing?

His vote does not mean nothing, it's all agreed before hand but the government, especially one without a majority has to pander to enough special interest single issue TD c*nts to get it passed. The fact he's involved in this when cheating the country out of revenue doesn't sit well with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

No sympathy for him.

He left the taxpayer on the hook over his VAT issues. His attire shows a complete lack of respect for our national parliament. He pulled some stunt in Shannon airport too a few years back. What's worse is that the people of Wexford don't seem too bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Has earned his TD's salary in my opinion.

No sympathy for him.

He left the taxpayer on the hook over his VAT issues. His attire shows a complete lack of respect for our national parliament. He pulled some stunt in Shannon airport too a few years back. What's worse is that the people of Wexford don't seem too bothere'd!

All the con artists working at Nama wear suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

my main gripe , he portrays himself as the conscience of all the wrong doing in our state - Mick - get your own house in order before casting judgement to or on others

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

laugh wrote: »
    Has earned his TD's salary in my opinion.
    Out of curiosity, why?
    What has he done in your view that justifies the salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

laugh wrote: »
    All the con artists working at Nama wear suits.

He doesn't need to wear a suit. He should at least look presentable.

thebaz wrote: »
    my main gripe , he portrays himself as the conscience of all the wrong doing in our state - Mick - get your own house in order before casting judgement to or on others

So if your business becomes unviable and owes money because of a global economic crash you are a criminal?

If he was left with his assets, he might have been able to pay his debtors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Can his salary be taken to pay those he ripped off?

Hopefully there is some form attachment that can be put on his salary, and his unreceipted expenses that can go some way to pay off some of the money he owes to ordinary, honest and decent working people.

• Advertisement

He doesn't need to wear a suit. He should at least look presentable.

Why? It's 2016, billionaire business men wear jeans and t-shirts.

Advertisement