Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods available now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Nope. Nope. I wish I liked the idea of them but I just don't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I like the idea and I'd love a pair but I just don't use headphones enough to drop that amount of money on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MMEF2ZM/A/airpods

got my order in, coming December 22nd. Happy Christmas to me.

So you're paying €179 to look like this:

apple-airpods-funny-01-640x814.jpg

Also, if they sound like the normal earpods then they're bad quality for the price.

They look ridiculously easy to lose as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

murpho999 wrote: »

apple-airpods-funny-01-640x814.jpg

Also, if they sound like the normal earpods then they're bad quality for the price.

They're atrocious quality for the price if they're like the regular pods.

Still can't believe that Apple released them. I was expecting something to blow away the competition. Kinda like the bragi dash, except sleeker and that they would actually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nope that guy looks like he's got oral b tooth brush heads in his ears.

EarPods always fitted me well, I've got a set of Samsung gear x, which are similar deal (wireless ear buds) and never once has one fallen out of my ear or got lost. I think the key word here in your post is "look" easy to lose. TBH they'll either be in my ears or in their case in my bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Still no sign of the Beats X though - and the website now says 'currently unavailable' instead of 'coming this Autumn'...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Johnmcgee97

This is something that are made by generic companies for 1/10th of the price and similar quality.

Apple are really falling behind considering Samsung have an accessory (the gear VR) for half the price that turns the phone into a piece of the future

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is a real back to the future accessory for the ear pods. http://promo.spigen.com/product/iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-airpods-strap-copy/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Still no sign of the Beats X though - and the website now says 'currently unavailable' instead of 'coming this Autumn'...

Out in February.

I was hoping they'd be released today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

This is a real back to the future accessory for the ear pods. http://promo.spigen.com/product/iphone-7-iphone-7-plus-airpods-strap-copy/

I can't believe they used the word "innovative" in that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eeguy wrote: »
    I can't believe they used the word "innovative" in that ad.

Can't believe they don't come with a strap, probably look to close to a certain woman's product hanging out of your ear though if they did.

This is something that are made by generic companies for 1/10th of the price and similar quality.

Apple are really falling behind considering Samsung have an accessory (the gear VR) for half the price that turns the phone into a piece of the future

VR the future? If the future is strapping my phone to my head to get work done or to play a 5 minute game that will get the majority of people motion sickness then I'm out. Also with Samsung's recent track record do you really want to be strapping a phone to your face literally inches away from you and have it run at full tilt?

That future sounds awesome :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why do you wish you liked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Have you ever used a pair of generic EarPods? They don't last a week and are not even close to the same. 40 for genuine EarPods and €20 for knock offs... I'll take the original cheers. 180 euro for a pair of decent wireless EarPods is not unreasonable. If they sound better than plug in ones then you're not being shafted really.

And Gear VR is about as much the future as Google Cardboard is. It's use starts and stops at videos and some apps. It's not the future I assure you. And you're comparing a cheap VR headset to headphones.... did you even read what you typed or did you just let a monkey type it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For the same technology, I will wait for the Beats X over the airpods. Harder to lose, cheaper, likely to stay in your ear easier but also has the W1 chip, pairing with all devices at once and interacts with phone, watch etc.

Also they look like traditional headphones rather than odd electric toothbrush heads.

Nope that guy looks like he's got oral b tooth brush heads in his ears.

EarPods always fitted me well, I've got a set of Samsung gear x, which are similar deal (wireless ear buds) and never once has one fallen out of my ear or got lost. I think the key word here in your post is "look" easy to lose. TBH they'll either be in my ears or in their case in my bag.

Seriously, they do look like Oral B toothbrushes, and the look of them would turn me off buying them, regardless of the price.

With the wired earpods, I've had them fall out of my ears the odd time and I wouldn't like that to happen with those as you've no idea where they would end up.
    I wouldn't be ordering any of them as €179 would definitely get you better quality speakers form rival products.

Why always bring Samsung into it to have a go at Apple? Annoys the hell out of me when you consider Samsung's record of copying Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

godtabh wrote: »

Why do you wish you liked them?
    Because I like all other things Apple :)

With the wired earpods, I've had them fall out of my ears the odd time and I wouldn't like that to happen with those as you've no idea where they would end up.

Ever think as to why they fall out when they're wired? 9 times out of 10 it's due to the cable being tugged :).

If these fall out, I'm going to notice as the music will stop playing.

I brought up Samsung, because I've used their version of wireless buds and they're good. They're also the only company doing it at scale. Someone also mentioned VR and besides Google just getting into high end VR stuff (daydream headset) Samsung are the leader in the mobile market.

Ever think as to why they fall out when they're wired? 9 times out of 10 it's due to the cable being tugged :).

If these fall out, I'm going to notice as the music will stop playing.

I brought up Samsung, because I've used their version of wireless buds and they're good. They're also the only company doing it at scale. Someone also mentioned VR and besides Google just getting into high end VR stuff (daydream headset) Samsung are the leader in the mobile market.

I have had the wired earpods fall out whilst walking without the cable being caught.

All well and good noticing the music stopping but it will most like fall on the ground, bounce etc, and get damaged.

I mentioned Samsung in relation to another post , not your one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The people who are concerned about the look of them are thinking very short term. They will become, not as ubiquitous as the wired verson, but an accepted variation people won't give a second glance to. And, really, who really cares what you've got in your ears? Headphones/earphones/plugs come in all shapes and sizes. Massive over-ear phones, and tiny buds.

If they could be called 'ugly' people would have a point. They're not so all people are worried about is newness of their form. The won't be new in a few months.
    This type of strap product is inevitable, and welcome. I'd have one if I ever got a pair. It's not a regression, as it's the wire to the phone that needs the axe.

The lack of easy volume etc controls is the only thing stopping me asking Santa for a pair, but twice today already I snagged my headphones wire and pulled them out of my ear and, feck me, if it's not the most annoying thing in the (first) world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dades wrote: »
    The people who are concerned about the look of them are thinking very short term. They will become, not as ubiquitous as the wired verson, but an accepted variation people won't give a second glance to. And, really, who really cares what you've got in your ears? Headphones/earphones/plugs come in all shapes and sizes. Massive over-ear phones, and tiny buds.

If they could be called 'ugly' people would have a point. They're not so all people are worried about is newness of their form. The won't be new in a few months.

This type of strap product is inevitable, and welcome. I'd have one if I ever got a pair. It's not a regression, as it's the wire to the phone that needs the axe.

The lack of easy volume etc controls is the only thing stopping me asking Santa for a pair, but twice today already I snagged my headphones wire and pulled them out of my ear and, feck me, if it's not the most annoying thing in the (first) world.

I thought the most annoying thing in the first World was the lack of an FM radio.....:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

whiterebel wrote: »
    I thought the most annoying thing in the first World was the lack of an FM radio.....:D
    Aaargh - I had buried that memory. :D

1fycsi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Preparing for shipment, delivery should be early next week. Looking forward to trying them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just not suited for the gym and running which is where I use EarPods most. I ordered a pair of Jaybird Freedom recently and they are the job. At home use QC25s or big amplified Denons so wouldn't use these at all. Maybe next gen will appeal more.

Just got a Shipment notification, 3 days ahead of schedule, delivered by DHL Express means I'll get them tomorrow. Nice job Apple, always under promises then over delivers.

These headsets are getting very average reviews for their sound quality which is surely the most important factor.

I don't get why people would spend this much money on headphones that do not have great quality sound.

I don't get why people would spend this much money on headphones that do not have great quality sound.
    I also don't why people need to let people know several times that they dislike the product and that they can't understand why they'd spend so much money on them but sure you know, whatever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It's usually a trade off between quality, convenience, price etc. The best sound is probably going to come from a big set of wired over ear headphones but that's not ideal for exercising or mobility. I'm more of a podcast/radio listener than pure music so "good enough" sound is okay for me.

People also forget about using these for phone calls. The reviews I've seen have all said the call and microphone quality if very good. I spend a lot of time on conference calls and popping one of these in my ear looks a whole lot more comfortable than the old fashioned plantronics headset my company provides me.

I also don't why people need to let people know several times that they dislike the product and that they can't understand why they'd spend so much money on them but sure you know, whatever :pac:

I don't really dislike the product but they are the quality of €30 wired earpods that have been made bluetooth for an extra €149.

I just feel if you're buying a headset/headphones that the most important issue should be the sound quality and I don't get why people would order/buy these without having tried them first and considering the better quality products that are out there.

Anyhow, everyone to themselves, I personally wouldn't spent that money unless I knew I was getting a quality product but it's not my money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don't really dislike the product but they are the quality of €30 wired earpods that have been made bluetooth for an extra €149.

I just feel if you're buying a headset/headphones that the most important issue should be the sound quality and I don't get why people would order/buy these without having tried them first and considering the better quality products that are out there.

Anyhow, everyone to themselves, I personally wouldn't spent that money unless I knew I was getting a quality product but it's not my money.

YT reviews put them better than the wired version.
    I use Jabra Wirless buds myself as the Apple wired pods just don't sit in my ears properly walking, never mind tying to lift stuff in the gym.

Advertisement