Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas present for Dad

• 17-12-2016 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

My parents have been separated for years. When my dad moved out, he never really acknowledged us at Christmas time. So I never did either.

But this year, I would like to try. I do see him but only passing the pub. He was never at his house when I tried to visit, so I gave up.

He's getting old, he doesn't look after himself and this year, I would like to visit him and get him a small gift. But I'm lost on what to get him. Alcohol is out. He drinks enough and he shouldn't.

I just don't know what to get him. I don't know where to start. Vouchers are out as well because he's the type that would forget about them and not use it.

Just looking for some ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

The Raptor wrote: »
    My parents have been separated for years. When my dad moved out, he never really acknowledged us at Christmas time. So I never did either.

But this year, I would like to try. I do see him but only passing the pub. He was never at his house when I tried to visit, so I gave up.

He's getting old, he doesn't look after himself and this year, I would like to visit him and get him a small gift. But I'm lost on what to get him. Alcohol is out. He drinks enough and he shouldn't.

I just don't know what to get him. I don't know where to start. Vouchers are out as well because he's the type that would forget about them and not use it.

Just looking for some ideas.

Maybe make up a food hamper. Or something hr is interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I second the food hamper idea, . Fair play to you op it's a lovely gesture and i hope it's accepted in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just try spend some time with him. Have a good Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

A nice new shirt jumper pants and shoes. But maybe letting him know you still love him and spending some time with him might be great for both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

xabi wrote: »
    A nice new shirt jumper pants and shoes. But maybe letting him know you still love him and spending some time with him might be great for both of you.

I thought of this but forgot to mention that I don't know his size. I could probably guess his jumper size but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

The Raptor wrote:
    I thought of this but forgot to mention that I don't know his size. I could probably guess his jumper size but that's about it.

Only a guess but to know he is still loved, might be a better present than you could buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Only a guess but to know he is still loved, might be a better present than you could buy.

I'm thinking a present might help me say it.

But thanks for all the ideas, anyway. I will have a look around town later on and see what I can pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

The Raptor wrote:
    I'm thinking a present might help me say it.

Bring him out for a meal, gives you a chance to get to know him again might help you figure out a present. Hope all goes well for both of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you can, and he's willing, then maybe a bit of time spent together might be worthwhile. it doesn't need to involve alcohol so pub removed.
    a meal would be nice, or just even a walk/lunch if he's up to it.
    it's good that you're thinking of him and i hope things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭xabi

The Raptor wrote: »

It's probably overkill, but if that's what you want to do show a pic of him to a salesperson and they will have an idea. Us men have limited choice in the size department anyway, S/M/L, :-)

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you both have a wonderful Xmas, credit for making the effort, lots of ppl in similar situations never pluck up the courage to do it and end up regretting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

A watch? Size not a problem, just choose a style. Subliminal message kind of gift too

Advertisement