Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Grayson wrote: »
    Jaysus. I think the moral is that we're all idiots for believing a single thing from the Indo.

While not defending the Indo, it could be a case of a leak and the Gardai are trying to plug it, so the suspects aren't tipped off. Its pretty common in investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Grandeeod wrote: »
    While not defending the Indo, it could be a case of a leak and the Gardai are trying to plug it, so the suspects aren't tipped off. Its pretty common in investigations.

Yeah, but it's also the indo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

pablo128 wrote: »
    The plot thickens. Now it's being reported that the guards don't have any suspects after all. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/garda-say-they-have-not-one-suspect-in-horror-attack-on-kym-owens-35292214.html

That article was from yesterday though, isn't the more recent one saying there are suspects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

pablo128 wrote: »
    The plot thickens. Now it's being reported that the guards don't have any suspects after all. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/garda-say-they-have-not-one-suspect-in-horror-attack-on-kym-owens-35292214.html

As usual the indo's sensationalism threatens possible convictions of those who attacked the girl.

Indo is interested in one thing and one thing only - clicks on articles and eyeballs on adverts.

Truth never comes into the equation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

That article was from yesterday though, isn't the more recent one saying there are suspects?

Yeh article from this morning is more recent.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into another annabels scenario and they buy their way out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Hopefully it doesn't turn into another annabels scenario and they buy their way out of it.
    Mmm. The "fact" (if it is fact) that the gardai have three suspects but have not yet even questioned them may well indicate parents that have lawyered up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Doesn't anybody pay attention to the thread title. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Doesn't anybody pay attention to the thread title. :(

Very few. Mostly amateur detectives and pro/anti feminists around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

It could be a deliberate "accidental on purpose" leak to see if there are frantic text messages/phone calls between the suspects in response to the news story. Not sure if AGS are that clever though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Don't talk rubbish. Nobody 'bought their way out' of anything in relation to that incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It could be a deliberate "accidental on purpose" leak to see if there are frantic text messages/phone calls between the suspects in response to the news story. Not sure if AGS are that clever though.

David Currans conviction was greatly aided by such messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Don't talk rubbish. Nobody 'bought their way out' of anything in relation to that incident.

Sure they didn't :rolleyes:

He says with a straight face.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Candie wrote: »
    Sounds like a case of Chinese whispers gaining truth status.

I hope the culprits are brought to justice as soon as possible, whoever they are. Sadly, the judiciary have a bit of a rep for leniency, even in the face of tens or even hundreds of previous convictions. Lets hope they throw the book at them and they get what they deserve.

I really hope this poor girl recovers fully physically and is able to get her life back, this is the kind of experience that'll make it an ongoing struggle for a long time to come. I hope she gets there.

They are nothing short of a disgrace. Overpaid and under worked. It may not sound very pc, but this case warrants a tooth for a tooth.

This happened weeks ago, and they are probably still going around with notebooks :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

What do you mean fair play to the gardai?? It's a horrendous case so they should be doing absolutely everything within their power possible. It's their job. I don't care how long it takes to bring the offender to justice. I trust that they are doing the right thing in being patient to build an accurate case but I thought that given the circumstances, they be further along now with charges by now.

What I mean is the article stated that 100's of hours of CCTV were combed and 100's of statements were taken in order for them to get to the stage when they have enough to hopefully charge these suspects.

The Gardaí can never win in some people's eyes, I just think they deserve credit sometimes for a lot of hard work. They're the ones that put in all the legwork and donkey work to get these cases to court. It's the judiciary that are to blame when these scum are not sent to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Mmm. Radio reports this morning that she may not have been assaulted after all. Medics have told Gardai that Kyms injuries are consistent with a fall.

No mention of how she is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mmm. Radio reports this morning that she may not have been assaulted after all. Medics have told Gardai that Kyms injuries are consistent with a fall.

No mention of how she is doing.

:confused::confused::confused:

Fall from a skyscraper maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

BattleCorp wrote: »

I know. It sounds strange and at odds with what has been reported to date.

BattleCorp wrote: »

To be fair the medics know more about this stuff than we do.

Having said that, we still know feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

To be fair the medics know more about this stuff than we do.

Having said that, we still know feck all.

if she landed face first on a kerb, you could do serious damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She suffered injuries to the front of her head, including broken teeth, a broken nose, fractures to her eye sockets and a dislocated jaw.

If she fainted and fell forward without breaking her fall in any way onto the edge of a footpath or something?

EDIT: That's from the Irish Times, but they are taking the report from the Irish Daily Star, and I couldn't find anything about it on that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

osarusan wrote: »
    If she fainted and fell forward without breaking her fall in any way onto the edge of a footpath or something?

Absolutely, plus it is very rare that several weeks on the guards would have no leads. If it had been a vicious assault there would have been a fair amount of DNA around you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Why has it taken the medical professionals this long to reach this conclusion?

Absolutely, plus it is very rare that several weeks on the guards would have no leads. If it had been a vicious assault there would have been a fair amount of DNA around you would imagine.

I think you've been watching too much CSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Why has it taken the medical professionals this long to reach this conclusion?

Because she is still alive. It's easy to examine wounds when someone is dead but when they are still being treated it's much harder. It's not like you can take a plaster cast of an impact wound while it's stitched and bandaged and healing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

He probably meant evidence.

I find it strange that this could have been misconstrued as an assault and they are now thinking it may have been a fall.

If it was an assault there would have been screams as the first blows started to land. Neighbours surely would have heard something. Also I would imagine that there would have been wounds on other parts of her body sustained in an assault..bruises on her arms, back, torso if she went to ground and came under a barrage of kicks from different directions. None of these bruises would be sustained in a fall (unless you fell down a long bloody flight of steps).

Also someone mentioned that she was conscious now. If that's the case can they not just ask her if she remembers being assaulted? I guess if she can't remember anything then an assault can't be ruled out.

Also where did the hurleys and bullying information come from?

So you reckon an assailant carrying out a frenzied attack in the dark would not leave traces of DNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So you reckon an assailant carrying out a frenzied attack in the dark would not leave traces of DNA?

If they were smart and wore gloves and a hat or something like that Im sure you could get away with out leaving any DNA. A few blows with a heavy object could do the damage done to her, its not like the assailant would have to be down on the ground wrestling her to do that

HensVassal wrote: »
    He probably meant evidence.

I find it strange that this could have been misconstrued as an assault and they are now thinking it may have been a fall.

If it was an assault there would have been screams as the first blows started to land. Neighbours surely would have heard something. Also I would imagine that there would have been wounds on other parts of her body sustained in an assault..bruises on her arms, back, torso if she went to ground and came under a barrage of kicks from different directions. None of these bruises would be sustained in a fall (unless you fell down a long bloody flight of steps).

Also someone mentioned that she was conscious now. If that's the case can they not just ask her if she remembers being assaulted? I guess if she can't remember anything then an assault can't be ruled out.

Also where did the hurleys and bullying information come from?

it's something I heard from other students.

It'd be interesting to see if these girls got new hurley's since then.

Did I not read a report where neighbours said they ran out after hearing a scream?

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    If they were smart and wore gloves and a hat or something like that Im sure you could get away with out leaving any DNA. A few blows with a heavy object could do the damage done to her, its not like the assailant would have to be down on the ground wrestling her to do that

What! you reckon someone got tooled up in a boiler suit and gloves and went looking for a girl to attack!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement