Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Thanks, just order both.

Just got aeropress today. Oh man what a coffee! Obviously totally different to french press and espresso but the coffee flavour is fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

20% off at Bell Lane for the month of November. Code: NOV20%

Shipping is a bit pricey and a bit slow but coffee is very good from what I have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Just got aeropress today. Oh man what a coffee! Obviously totally different to french press and espresso but the coffee flavour is fantastic. Highly recommended.

For the last few months I've not been able to produce a consistent end result from my Aeropress.

Any chance you would post what you are doing ( type & amount of coffee, water temperature, brew time etc ) ?

TIA

Olddog

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I do this:

1. Heat water to 95 degress.
    2. Grind 15g Coffee. (Fairly coarse, sand like)
    3. Invert Aeropress and add the coffee.
    4. Pour in enough water to cover the grinds. Mix with the stirrer and let it sit for 30 seconds.
    5. Top up Hot water to give a total of 240-250g.
    6. Leave it sit for 1 min.
    7. Give it a good stir, maybve 8-10 times around.
    8. Cap on, flip it over the cup and press.
    9. Drink it.

More or less the Bluebottle method:

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/aeropress

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Personally I do this:

4. Pour in enough water to cover the grinds. Mix with the stirrer and let it sit for 30 seconds.
    9. Drink it.

Mine as follows
    1. Water to 90 deg or so
    2. grind 15 - 18 g slightly finer than sand - mark 9 or 10 on my rocky using Costa Rica blend from ponaire
    3. As above
    4. Add in water to 3 mark
    5.stirr for 10 s
    6. Place over mug - preheated of course
    7.Plunger in and press down with slow steady press.
    8. Drink
    However as in espresso grind and coffee quality important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Nescafe gold blend big jar - 6 quid in Tesco at the moment.

Azera intenso 4.50 in Tesco also.

Carte Noir was also on special for 6 euro a big jar. Not sure if it still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks Adrian522 & Babybuilder.

I grind mine similar to BB but used to use cooler ( 75C) water and brew for a longer time. Warmer water and shorter brew time is better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

adrian522 wrote: »
    Personally I do this:

9. Drink it.

I just bought an aeropress and grinder and I used this method today - it's quiet a revelation, coffee is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whole beans from Brazil and Guatemala in Aldi buried in their transient products racks. €5.99 for a 454g bag.

• Advertisement

kenco really rich and smooth 200g in aldi for 3.99

Carte Noir 200g Aldi for 6.99

Lavazza instant coffee. The one in the tin. €3.50 in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Thinking of taking the plunge (boom boom).

What do you need to buy to get started with an aeropress?

Do you need to splash out on a thermometer , grinder etc?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Thinking of taking the plunge (boom boom).

What do you need to buy to get started with an aeropress?

Do you need to splash out on a thermometer , grinder etc?

Thanks in advance

No a kettle will do grand, simple hand grinder would suffice too. Spend your money on decent freshly roasted beans, aero press is a forgiving method but no method can salvage stale over roasted beans!

Most shops will grind beans for you at time of purchase, you'd be better off getting a simple grinder yourself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Metal filter instead of paper filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭nc6000

I got the metal filters from here:

http://ablebrewing.com/products/disk-coffee-filter

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Cheers for the advice. There are a few great spots close to me in Phibsboro selling beans, so I'll grab an aeropress and disk and kick off with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Dallas Great Self-deception

I posted a deal in BA from pact.
    Coffee, v60+ filters for £6.95.
    Subscription service but cancel after first shipment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Lidl have some half decent beans in at the moment.

• Advertisement

Must be more than 5 years or so since they last had any.

longshanks wrote: »
    Lidl have some half decent beans in at the moment.

Went looking for them. Do you have a name for them or what part of the shop they're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Went looking for them. Do you have a name for them or what part of the shop they're in?

They're in a little wooden keg, and were beside the Christmas foods. Deluxe Honduras Cristobal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Ninja coffee machine, €179 in littlewoods atm, and you can also buy now, pay in 6 months:

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/ninja-coffee-bar-with-auto-iq-and-insulated-carafe/1600120723.prd?_requestid=83773

I bought one and it's a good machine

longshanks wrote: »
    They're in a little wooden keg, and were beside the Christmas foods. Deluxe Honduras Cristobal.
    Got these today and while nicely packaged I'm not overly impressed. Dark roast a la Starbucks. Will have another go tomorrow morning. Has anyone tried the Kenyan beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I find the Italiamo beans in Lidl (1kg for €8) decent enough for the price when they do them - not a patch on freshly roasted etc. but drinkable and would do for those less fussy if you have a gang coming round and don't want to waste the good stuff! :D

I find the Italiamo beans in Lidl (1kg for €8) decent enough for the price when they do them - not a patch on freshly roasted etc. but drinkable and would do for those less fussy if you have a gang coming round and don't want to waste the good stuff! :D

Bought a bag of those Deluxe range also. Weren't bad at all. In fact I froze separate lots of them and have them as back up in case I run out of my ponaire order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

Got these today and while nicely packaged I'm not overly impressed. Dark roast a la Starbucks
    Didn't like Honduras one ,too flat for me, might be alright for the filter, no go for espresso.Such a waste of timber though .
    If I am out of a fresh beans , I normally would go for M&S Colombian, definitely better than that one.

Got these today and while nicely packaged I'm not overly impressed. Dark roast a la Starbucks. Will have another go tomorrow morning. Has anyone tried the Kenyan beans?

I have just tried the Kenyan. I certainly wouldn't say the beans were dark or over roasted. They are very dry and non-oily. I do double espressos and the taste is fairly acidic with a fair astringency as well.

I would say it's medium flavourful and is certainly palatable with a very long lasting finish, but it's nothing like as good as the Guatemalan or Brazilian bargains from Aldi I mentioned a while ago, the former being up there with anything I have tried from Ponaire. It's infinitely better than the burnt hydrochloric acid Starbucks in Zurich airport served when I bought something that was supposed to be coffee. Worst I have ever tasted. Physicists should enquire as to how they manage to get the liquid to be 105° C when the boiling point of water is known to be less.
    Kenya2_zpsnydqxdeg.jpg

Kenya1_zps8bdxmgky.jpg

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have just tried the Kenyan. I certainly wouldn't say the beans were dark or over roasted. They are very dry and non-oily. I do double espressos and the taste is fairly acidic with a fair astringency as well.

I would say it's medium flavourful and is certainly palatable with a very long lasting finish, but it's nothing like as good as the Guatemalan or Brazilian bargains from Aldi I mentioned a while ago, the former being up there with anything I have tried from Ponaire. It's infinitely better than the burnt hydrochloric acid Starbucks in Zurich airport served when I bought something that was supposed to be coffee. Worst I have ever tasted. Physicists should enquire as to how they manage to get the liquid to be 105° C when the boiling point of water is known to be less.
    Kenya2_zpsnydqxdeg.jpg

Kenya1_zps8bdxmgky.jpg

I was referring to the Honduras beans. Not the Kenyan. From what you're saying the Kenyan look alot better.

Advertisement