Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

marienbad wrote: »
    I think we can be fairly sure none of the gung-ho warriors on here don't fall in to that category

Can you imagine if your child or partner was raped, tortured, murdered? I'm not sure I would have the ability to say that prison is enough for the perpertrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I stopped reading this thread when all the bickering about 'if it happened to a guy...' broke out.
    Can anyone tell me if there's been any updates? Did they find the perpetrator(s)? Is the girl alright? Do we know the motivation for the attack, if there was one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Candie wrote: »
    At least the cops in the US who refer to the ghettos as 'self-cleaning ovens' have the excuse of burnout from working the streets.

I can't imagine what motivates someone to wish a slow and painful death on another person, and imagine themselves better than they are at the same time.

'Self cleaning ovens' ha ha.

Anyway, let the retards who get involved in crime kill each other I say. Live by the sword...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Can you imagine if your child or partner was raped, tortured, murdered? I'm not sure I would have the ability to say that prison is enough for the perpertrator.

It is every parents nightmare , so yeah I can imagine it . But I am sure anything I can imagine never come even close to the reality .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I definitely think it was someone she knew and he waited for her to get off the bus.He set out to destroy her face so was definitely a personal vendetta.She is in an induced coma, hopefully when she is woken up she will be able to name the assailant.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    It is every parents nightmare , so yeah I can imagine it . But I am sure anything I can imagine never come even close to the reality .

We never know what's around the corner nor can we be entirely sure how we would handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just googled, It doesn't state it but i get the impression from the article that she's awake but still unable to talk to Gardai.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/attack-teen-kym-is-too-ill-to-speak-with-gardai-35272346.html

So that's a bit of good news, at least she's awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Witchie wrote: »
    I don't know who the alleged bf is but had heard that it was likely a hurley was used.

Of course all this hearsay and rumour so can't confirm anything, just saying what the word on the street in the next town over is.

Speculation some might say.

/points to thread title

Can we all give it a rest please and stay on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- This has gone way off topic. If any pertinent information comes up pm me and we'll see about reopening it.

For now I'm sure everyone here will join us in wishing the young lady a speedy recovery from her ordeal.

Locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Some new news has come to light,

Please try to stay on topic or this will be locked again.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/exclusive-three-girls-identified-as-suspects-in-horror-attack-on-kym-owens-18-35292214.html

Three girls have been identified as suspects in the vicious assault of an 18-year-old student.

"Three young females are being investigated for the attack, and it is hoped that they will be interviewed in the coming days," a source said.

A dedicated team of detectives have painstakingly taken 200 statements and trawled though hours of CCTV footage in an attempt to identify who was behind the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Jaysus, didn't see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oh my, lots of posters will be deleting comments that now sound awfully silly

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I do recall when I in secondary school a 14 year old getting held down and kicked in the head by another gang of girls same age and dying after it in waterford city......happened circa 2002-03????

Dunno what ever happened them afterward

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We truly do have some disturbed human beings on this planet. I wish this girl the very best

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I hope this news aids her recovery, it might make her feel a bit safer. Didn't somebody guess it was girls early on in the thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NOt too much of a shock. Indeed I can now tell a mate of mine I was discussing this terrible case with "I informed you thusly". I can think of two other unsolved cases where I'd bet the farm it was a woman or women attackers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I thought the level of violence combined with the absence of any sexual aspect left it a big possibility it was a female attacker. Still hard to imagine a motive for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Poor girl. My thought are with her, and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Wibbs wrote: »
    NOt too much of a shock. Indeed I can now tell a mate of mine I was discussing this terrible case with "I informed you thusly". I can think of two other unsolved cases where I'd bet the farm it was a woman or women attackers.

xzanti called it before you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

How warped a state of mind do you have to be in, to carry out that style of barbaric and predatory attack on someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

How warped a state of mind do you have to be in, to carry out that style of barbaric and predatory attack on someone.

Females are bizarre at the best of times to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Wibbs wrote: »

I believe (I haven't checked) a few pages back I said we hadn't got a clue and it could have been a guy, a guy and a girl, a group of guys/girls or anyone at alll. We simply didn't know anything.

Statistically it was more likely to be a guy, but all statistics are is educated guessing. They're great at telling what happened but not what is happening. i.e 50% of people are catholic. Is that person catholic? Fecked if I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Still all in the realms of speculation. Perhaps the Gardai just want to interview the girls to eliminate them from their inquiries. Why can't people stop speculating and wait for something definitive to emerge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I live in Maynooth and have heard rumours that plenty of students know who carried out the attacked.

Shame on anyone who didn't come forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

Will the person or persons be charged with attempted murder? Should be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Why can't people stop speculating and wait for something definitive to emerge?

Nature (and gossip it seems) abhors a vacuum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Still hard to imagine a motive for it though.

I've had friends be the victim of these marauding teenage girl gangs before, can be anything from jealousy to love rivalry. What's f*cked up is that it almost always seems to involve cliques, as opposed to when guys attack eachother with similar motives and it tends to just be one on one. It sounds in this case like she was set upon by multiple people simultaneously, which fits in with those I know who have experienced similar - really nasty "two people restrain the victim so someone else can properly beat the sh!te out of them" kind of stuff :(

At least it sounds like she's awake and coherent. Hopefully she won't be in the ICU for too much longer, they're incredibly depressing places for anyone to be in, patient, staff or visitor :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I live in Maynooth and have heard rumours that plenty of students know who carried out the attacked.

Shame on anyone who didn't come forward.

Live close by and heard same.
    Always thought it was someone who knew her, revenge attack or something because she had laptop and stuff with her which weren't touched and it wasn't sexually motivated. Also seems like aim was to destroy her face. Makes sense it was girls.
    Vicious bitches

I live in Maynooth and have heard rumours that plenty of students know who carried out the attacked. Shame on anyone who didn't come forward.

Yup _if_ they did not come forward with real information it is a bad thing. I have heard a few rumours of the sort myself that the answer is "known" but speculation is against the rules of the thread so I would not even offer it. Suffice to say that the people I dealt with _did_ go to the police with what they think they know.

But alas when you hear rumours like that that people "know" who did it quite often it is people _claiming_ they know - or guessing but convincing themselves that their guess is correct - when in fact they "know" squat. They just think they know something - or enjoy the attention pretending to know brings them.

So police _need_ testimony even from people who _think_ they know nothing but might know something that seems irrelevant to them but turns out to be very important to the investigation.

But the police _also_ have to be cautious with how they use the testimony of people who do come forward and what they do with that testimony and how they go forward with it.

Sometimes it is hearsay - like "Oh yer wan always hated her I _bet_ it was her I _know_ it was her".

Sometimes it is erroneous (if the police say they are looking for a dark haired man driving a black van - people can sometimes suddenly remember a blonde man in a red van as being dark haired in a black van).

Sometimes it is malicious - there are actually people in this world who hate others enough to try and "get at them" by implicating them in an entirely unrelated crime.

Sometimes it is a witch hunt - they are so horrifically offended by a crime they just want to see _someone_ burn for it.

And sometimes it is even just plane insane - there are people who hear about crimes and will walk into a police station and admit to them. Often the police then find out the confessor simply did not or could not have done the crime. So even someone openly admitting to a crime is not testimony police can just instantly use and run with. It is a mad world sometimes.

When you sit down - as I have been lucky to do - with an actual police detective and hear how they have to go about their work and what it entails - and all the checks and balances that they have to operate - it is mouth droopingly astounding how complex it is and they have my utmost respect. I certainly doubt I could do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well that's a bit of a curveball considering how this thread played out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement