Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin themed gift

• 13-12-2016 12:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to put together a hamper-type gift for a gin lover and was looking for a few pointers on what to include.

The idea is to get a decent bottle of gin, some tonic, maybe a basic cocktail-making set, a couple of suitable glasses and perhaps a gin-focused cocktail recipe book - but I'm looking for any other things that would be good to include (or what from the above would be better to exclude).

Any help appreciated - and any pointers on the best place to get any of the above (online or in-store) would be great too!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh that would make a lovely gift...

I would say some nice mini cans of sweeps tonic (not slimlimes) or if you could find out which tonics they like get some mini cans of that..Mini cans are best than bottles as they go flat.

Ice crusher or pick to break up some ice... Or mini ice cubs bags (you can get these in Lidl)

Fresh lemons and Limes (both go with gin)
    Could get them some tools them like maybe a zester or a muddler...IWOOT has some great bar tools,

The Zinger would be a handy one to have and usefull for other drinks. http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/home-garden/barware.list

Bar10der might be a nice finish to it https://www.amazon.com/Quench-QUE10BLUE-Bar10der-Blue/dp/B00M3EK9X4

Then for Gins, oh you would have to find out what gins they like.. If I had a list it would be Bombay Sapphire, Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin, could get them a selection of mini gins

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Get them a bottle or two of bitters if you are buying them a cocktail book too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Great, thanks for all of those suggestions. Thinking we'll go with something like Bombay for the gin - it's one he likes so is a safe bet.

Any idea where'd be a good place to look for those balloon glasses that are used for gin and tonics?

There seem to be a new fad these glasses. I havent seen them on sale but I know Newbridge do a red wine glass that is huge and very nice to have a tipple out of

Just thinking now Brown Thomas might do them, not a mad fan of them but they do pretty decant glassware sets that wont break the bank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

flogen wrote: »
    Great, thanks for all of those suggestions. Thinking we'll go with something like Bombay for the gin - it's one he likes so is a safe bet.

Any idea where'd be a good place to look for those balloon glasses that are used for gin and tonics?

I found them quite hard to find recently. If you do find somewhere can you post back to say where?
    Would recommend getting these glasses of you can, I much prefer them for gin. You could try asking somewhere like the Celtic Whiskey Store - I know the Porterhouse sell their Dingle Gin in specially designed glasses. You could even ask in Porterhouse or Gin Palace.

Bombay Sapphire is a nice gin, but not a special gin. Have a look at the Gunpowder Irish Gin. It is very tasty.

Milly33 wrote: »
    There seem to be a new fad these glasses. I havent seen them on sale but I know Newbridge do a red wine glass that is huge and very nice to have a tipple out of
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Just thinking now Brown Thomas might do them, not a mad fan of them but they do pretty decant glassware sets that wont break the bank

Thanks - saw some on Tesco's UK website too (though not sure if they have them here or if they're good quality)
    cee_jay wrote: »
    I found them quite hard to find recently. If you do find somewhere can you post back to say where?
    Would recommend getting these glasses of you can, I much prefer them for gin. You could try asking somewhere like the Celtic Whiskey Store - I know the Porterhouse sell their Dingle Gin in specially designed glasses. You could even ask in Porterhouse or Gin Palace.

Will do, thanks.
    Bombay Sapphire is a nice gin, but not a special gin. Have a look at the Gunpowder Irish Gin. It is very tasty.

Thanks - heard good things about Gunpowder so might give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

get indian tonic instead of ordinary. Hendricks gin is very nice, serve with cucumber instead of lemon / lime. Bulldog is another very nice gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Stock beside Stephens Green shopping centre have some nice gin balloon glasses

Great, thanks.

Also thinking we might just put together the makings of a martini - similar idea to before but would allow us to get martini glasses with a bit of a 'wow' factor to them (the balloon ones are nice but maybe a little plain).
    At least I've a few options to work with either way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement