Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a wine shop

Options
  • 12-12-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I'm clueless and hoping to buy a nice bottle of wine for my parents for Christmas. Since I know nothing I'm looking for a good wine shop where I can go in with my budget, explain what they like/dislike and hopefully not get ripped off or come out with a bottle of plonk.

I'm in the Dublin 6 area, city centre would be ideal and I'd like to support an independent place if at all possible.

Can anyone direct me as to where would be my best bet?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Another option is for you to tell us what they like and we can recommend a wine for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In city centre, maybe The Corkscrew on Chatham Street Dublin 2?

Although I'm sure they can't compete with the collective knowledge of boardsies...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd be going for The Corkscrew on Chatham Street or Wines on the Green on Dawson Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Another option is for you to tell us what they like and we can recommend a wine for you :)

Ooh I didn't know ye provided such a service! I'm going to do some recon work and will come back to ye with some info!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would recommend Redmonds of Ranelagh, or the Corkscrew on Chatham Street. Both very good, especially the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Green Man in Terenure should be near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Green Man in Terenure should be near enough.

Good mention, had forgotten about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Ooh I didn't know ye provided such a service! I'm going to do some recon work and will come back to ye with some info!

Hi all, sorry for the delay, I actually got them to send me their info themselves, they'll never know what I'm getting them!!

So I have about €55 to spend and I don't mind whether it's a white or red. I'd really like to get them something they haven't had before (I know that's impossible when I've no idea what they've had) but maybe something not too run of the mill if possible so as to have the greatest chance of avoiding this.

So here's what I have:

We like most red wines except very tannic ones like Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo. Our favourites have included Pinot Noir, Valpolicella Ripasso, Grenache Syrah Mourvedre blends (like Chateauneuf de Pape) and Brunello di Montalcino.

We like most white wines too except for Sauvignon Blanc or anything that's very sharp. We really like Albarino, Gruner Veltliner, Riesing and unoaked Chardonnay.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Advertisement