Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geert Wilders convicted of "hate speech"

Options
  • 09-12-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭

This is pretty crazy:

Netherlands trial: Geert Wilders guilty of incitement
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38260377

He reacts very strongly here:
    Geert Wilders
    9 mins ·
    *** BREAKING ***
    *** VIDEO ***
    MY REACTION TO THE VERDICT
    Dear friends, I still cannot believe it.
    But I have just been convicted.
    Because I asked a question about Moroccans.
    While the day before yesterday, scores of Moroccan asylum seekers terrorized buses in Emmen and did not even had to pay a fine, a politician who asks a question about fewer Moroccans is sentenced.
    The Netherlands have become a sick country.
    And I have a message for the judges who convicted me: You have restricted the freedom of speech of millions of Dutch and, hence, convicted everyone. No-one trusts you anymore. But, fortunately, truth and liberty are stronger than you. And so am I. I will never be silent. You will not be able to stop me.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The PVV have been polling very well recently, at the head of the pack, with general elections due next year and no jail sentence despite the conviction, I think we'll hear a lot more from GW and his supporters on this issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_Dutch_general_election,_2017

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wilders is a creep but I can't see this verdict harming him in any way. If anything, it'll be used a rallying cry for his supporters, who can claim they're being persecuted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

He is going to win the 2017 election and they are terrified of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Breitbart UK has this as main lead. The trial itself seems to an indicator of a more proactive approach by the state against contra views. I am surprised no punishment was imposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Absolute madness .... a criticism of Islam and he is convicted of "Hate Speech" ? absolute joke ... meanwhile it takes 20 years to finally jail a real hate speaker (Anjem Choudary) ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The Dutch establishment has just guaranteed his victory through their facist actions.

Wilders is the most exciting political figure in Europe right now- a rallying point of resistance against the Islamification of Europe.

Hungary, Poland, the UK (to an extent) now- France and the Netherlands soon. It's heartening to see European nations reject the traitors and struggle against reduction and subjugation in their own homes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post deleted. Raise the standard of posting please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Absolute madness .... a criticism of Islam and he is convicted of "Hate Speech" ? absolute joke ... meanwhile it takes 20 years to finally jail a real hate speaker (Anjem Choudary) ...

A: he was not criticizing Islam ..... But Morrocans in general

B: He was not convicted for hate speech either

At least get the facts right before getting outraged

Giving your username I assume you can understand the link

http://nos.nl/artikel/2147487-dit-zeggen-de-rechters-over-geert-wilders.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

weisses wrote: »
    A: he was not criticizing Islam ..... But Morrocans in general

B: He was not convicted for hate speech either
    Convicted of "insulting a group" (Moroccans) and "inciting" discrimination.
    If in an insult is a crime, then Joe needs to be convicted too..
    Wilders is a creep ....
    Discrimination should not be allowed, but "incitement" to discrimination is not actual discrimination. The offence seems to be there to pevent anyone voicing an opinion that is not deemed PC, which makes it an infringement on freedom of speech.

The fact that they have "insulting a group" as a law is quite interesting. The original principles of the Enlightenment era were very much in favour of equality and freedom for citizens, hence the republican contitutions of France and the USA are very strong on freedom of speech, religion etc.. for all citizens. However all citizens were expected to respect the laws and culture of the state. One law, one language, one culture, but many races and many religions.

But in the last few decades a new variant of that has evolved, mainly in the former monarchies of Europe. Its the ultra-liberal Ctrl-left philosophy which aims to do even better. But instead of seeing the people as equal citizens, it sees them as belonging to equal "groups". It embraces the idea of multiculturalism, even when its obvious that some cultures are incompatible with its own liberal values. It simply ignores this paradox.

The freedom of speech of the individual citizen is sacrificed so that random "groups" within this multicultural society can feel free from the danger of being insulted.

Many other freedoms formerly enjoyed by citizens, such as the freedom of women to walk the streets on their own safely in the evening are also sacrificed. Because these other "groups" consider that sort of behaviour makes the women "fair game" and their culture is considered to be as valid as anyone else's. Unfortunately the loss of freedoms to the individual citizen is never measured in this Ctrl-left politically correct worldview. They only weigh the interests of one "group" against another.

And gradually social cohesion breaks down. Integration takes a back seat to segregation. The "community" ceases to be a geographical based term. Eventually it refers only to a particular ethnic group within the locality, and not to everyone living in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It's happening :
    The party of populist anti-Islam Dutch MP Geert Wilders has risen strongly in the polls since the lawmaker was tried and convicted of discrimination, according to a survey published Sunday.

If legislative elections due next March were held this week, Wilders' Freedom Party (PVV) would pick up 36 out of 150 seats in the lower house of parliament, making it the biggest single political group, it found.

Before the trial began on October 31, the PVV was credited with 27 seats.

During the trial, but before his conviction on Friday, its estimated share rose to 34 seats. It currently has 12 lawmakers.

The new poll data comes from a weekly monitoring by the Maurice de Hond Institute.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dutch-populist-leader-wilders-rises-polls-conviction-144358621.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Amazingfun wrote: »

About to win power in one of the most progressive, highly educated and enlightened societies in human history.

Not bad for a "creep".

Advertisement