Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Harry Kane wrote: »
    I have heard that getting insurance on these houses will be difficult.

From a reliable source no doubt :rolleyes:
    Can you post a link to support this?
    Wealthy people are wealth for very good reasons and sinking money into an uninsurable house would not be their style.

Within one post it has gone from being "difficult" to insure these properties to the properties being "uninsurable", amazing :D:D:D

Time will tell, but I think we both know that these properties will all sell rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

can't corroborate the Insurance statement above. But most of you will be aware of the typical questions insurance companies ask... any large trees within X metres of the house, is house within X metres of the sea etc. 'Fail' on these type of questions could mean the insurer will refuse to quote. That said, it may be possible to insure via a broker who sometimes seem to be able to overcome these difficulties (I know I did due to a flat roof question)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No worse than the seafront in Dublin, but Greystones is overdue a good easterly gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

For all the talk on this thread about either liking or disliking the change from old harbour to new, it has to be said that the marina will protect the houses behind so no chance of insurance issues.

The drains did block a few years back that flooded all around the beach house pub...That was due to the ongoing development blocking drains though

Further on down the north beach towards Bray and past the Marina will be in threat in years to come due to erosion, think that is 1metre per year currently

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when I was getting house insurance quotes this year at least one of the websites asked me if the house was within 50 metres of a river/lake/sea. They'll be able t get insurance, but it may be more expensive because of their proximity to water, regardless of how unlikely they are to be flooded.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    when I was getting house insurance quotes this year at least one of the websites asked me if the house was within 50 metres of a river/lake/sea. They'll be able t get insurance, but it may be more expensive because of their proximity to water, regardless of how unlikely they are to be flooded.

Yes, that is fair enough and I would expect that question from an insurer. I was responding moreso to Harry Kane's post above whereby he had spoken about uninsurable houses... Without any fact behind it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The new Coastguard station at Greystones harbour will not be built, according to Wicklow Councillor Derek Mitchell who says that after 12 years of discussions, planning and building at the harbour the Coastguard has decided to pull out.

The Coastguard have told Wicklow County Council that ‘it is deemed no longer viable to pursue the development at this site due to lack of funding in meeting the requirements’, Councillor Mitchell told Afloat.ie

‘I am very annoyed the Coastguard say it is not viable to build the station at this site in Greystones. The Council has given them a valuable site specially constructed on the new pier and built a special slipway for them. It is incredible that after 12 years discussions, planning and building the harbour they pull out' he said.

Councillor Mitchell also said 'I gather that the problem is that the building is costly because the site will be subject to storm waves, however the Greystones Sailing Club and four other clubs have been constructed with this in mind. They should put the boat on the calm marina and build a simpler less costly building. To my mind getting the boat going is much easier and safer from the marina than slip launching from the outer basin which can be rough in easterly winds’.

http://www.afloat.ie/port-news/irish-marinas/greystones-marina/item/33868-new-greystones-coastguard-station-not-viable

More wasted money and hot air from the Sisk representative; Councillor Derek Mitchell. World class harbour indeed...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    http://www.afloat.ie/port-news/irish-marinas/greystones-marina/item/33868-new-greystones-coastguard-station-not-viable

More wasted money and hot air from the Sisk representative; Councillor Derek Mitchell. World class harbour indeed...

yeah, nice priorities...

Essential:
    • 2 story sailing club clubhouse with sea-view from the bar.

Optional:
    • coastguard station.

Tabnabs wrote: »

yeah, nice priorities...

Essential:
    • 2 storey sailing club clubhouse with sea-view from the bar.

Optional:
    • coastguard station.

why didn't they make Sisk build it along with all the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

yeah, nice priorities...

Essential:
    • 2 storey sailing club clubhouse with sea-view from the bar.

Optional:
    • coastguard station.

why didn't they make Sisk build it along with all the other stuff.

The various club houses had to be rebuilt because the existing club facilities were being demolished as part of the overall plan.

The coastguard never had a facility at the harbour AFAIK. But the development plan included the provision of a site beside a slipway. Now 12 years later, having been given plenty of notice that they were going to get this site they are saying that they have no funds to build it. If the Coastguard had said that 12 years ago there could have been an argument as to why that was not included in the overall scheme of things. But it looks like there are only now coming out and saying they have no funds available.

There are loads of things to complain about how local politicians behaved over the course of this development. I don't think this is one of them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Where's the sand?! The 1,000s of tonnes of sand the developer was to replenish the North beach with yearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Would anyone have any objection if the developers took the sand from the north end of the South beach and moved it up to their designated "beach" just beyond the marina?

The pier walls seem to have caused too much sand too accumulate on the south beach at this stage. The sea is much further away than it used to be. Where I used to dive in at "The Mens" up until a few years ago, there is just a tiny bit of steel handrail sticking up out of the sand, to show where the concrete diving platform used to be.

Sisk did provide 'beach nourishment' on two occasions, the first was either in 2013 or 14, the second was earlier this year. The first lot was horrible in so far as the stones provided had no resemblance to the natural materials. It washed away within a year. The second lot appeared to be more a match but at this time most of it has been washed away. The nature of the interrupted currents caused by the marina breakwater means that we have a cliffing effect. This is and will remain a permanent feature. Sisk are obliged to carry out beach nourishment for a period of 30 years (I guess we are 3 or 4 years into that period now).

Sand as beach nourishment will be subject the same problem (indeed I would assume would barely last 1 or 2 weather events) where high seas even back in the day could mean the beach level could loose (or gain) a metre or more. That natural cycle appears to have stopped now.

If you visit the North beach you will find that the south end of the beach near the marina and up to where the Gap bridge used to be is probably about 2M lower than it used to be. At the north end of beach the beach level there is at least 2M higher. That status has not changed since those winter storms of 2012/13. In past years the beach level would rise and fall but the beach has not recovered and I am assuming will never recover due to the marina breakwater. In fact, even in normal weather it is no longer to possible to walk past the Gap bridge at high tide.

Conversely, the south beach, which also used to experience different levels has remained static for at least 3 years now. I'm not quite sure if sediment is coming the north or south (others here might know). Regardless the common denominator is the breakwater in my opinion.

I also understand the EIS stated that there should 15M of beach front (sorry can't articulate) in front of the rock armor on the north beach at mean tide - this never happened - even at low tide you can't walk in front of the rock armor.

And the powers that be? Well, I guess they might just look at you with a vacant expression and shrug their shoulders.

the South Beach has been increasing in size for a long time, occasionally a big storm washes it back out again, but the mens has been silted up most of the time for the last 10 years at least, and the growing sand dunes at the back of the beach are evidence that the tide never reaches up that high (in years past the sea would cover the beach completely at spring tide).

I'm not sure why this is, and the marina may have accelerated the process, but the sand is not really similar to the material that is being washed off the North Beach - perhaps its coming from the offshore sand banks. Either way we won't be diving at the mens anytime soon.

but the mens has been silted up most of the time for the last 10 years at least, and the growing sand dunes at the back of the beach are evidence that the tide never reaches up that high (in years past the sea would cover the beach completely at spring tide).
    The last time I dived in there was about 6 or 7 years ago. Then there were a couple of years when the sand came and went. But now the accumulation of sand there seems to be permanent. There is about 30 metres of beach between the diving platform and the sea. As the North Beach recedes, the South Beach expands. And this has been happening since the piers were built.

What does sand replenishment mean... Is it stones to replenish what was already there or actual sand to make it a nice spot for kids in summer but that would wash away very fast... Assuming the former?

yesap wrote: »
    Is it stones to replenish what was already there or actual sand
    I'm not sure that the size of the grains was specified, but it makes no difference anyway, because either would be washed away if that's what the wave action and currents are doing.

IMO its probably best to let nature take its course now. The rock armour immediately north of the harbour will protect the private development. Further north a pronounced bay will form, eating into the area that was supposed to be "a linear public park" along the Cliff Walk. At some point that erosion will stop naturally because it will be so far inland of the Marina to the south and and Bray head to the north. Some kind of curved beach will then form below the cliffs, but it will be well inland of the current North Beach.

But WCC and Sisk should get together and redress the lost swimming amenities (which existed around the old harbour and at "the mens" bathing place)

They best way to do this would be by renovating and expanding on "The Cove" as the main swimming and diving amenity for Greystones.
    What needs to be done;
    a) Fix the handrail at the steps.
    b) Moor a wooden "Wendy" swimming platform in the cove during the summer months, similar to the one in Wicklow harbour. It provides a fun focal point for kids to swim to and congregate on.
    c) Near the steps, extend the concrete path and build a diving platform at the end of the path, facing east, where the water is deeper. This to discourage the kids from diving off the rocks halfway along the path, facing north, where its often dangerously shallow.
    d) A second set of steps down to a new sandy beach which has recently appeared on the other (south) side of the path.
    d) The small number of parking spaces left in the vicinity after the cycle lane dual carriageway was installed is hopelessly inadequate.

All of this would only cost a modest amount of money, but would hugely improve things.

The South Beach will always be the main sunbathing/quick dip in the sea and winter dog-walking place, but its a bit too boring and featureless for the older kids. And not quite as sheltered and safe as The Cove is, or the old harbour beach was, for young kids.

BTW, anyone notice the grass is starting to look permanent on parts of the south Beach? I reckon in a few years time there will be a grassy walk area with sandy paths along it just inland of the beach. Similar to Kilcoole.

That's very interesting and informative recedite... The plans for the marina development included revamping the north public beach and providing sand, I know they have done this in places and brought in locals and tourists before but very expensive (Barcelona most famously) and I would wonder if it will happen... Very tough to prevent nature taking its course also.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

that sand appeared there after the winter storms we had.. Im trying to locate the pics i have... before and after..

that sand appeared there after the winter storms we had.
    Yes, but it used to come and go, seasonally.
    Now it arrives, but it doesn't go away afterwards.

• Advertisement

Well, Sunday/Monday storm washed away much of the foreshore on the south beach. 'The Mens' is back!
    Must visit North Beach - suspect any nourishment that was added is gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

legrand wrote: »
    Well, Sunday/Monday storm washed away much of the foreshore on the south beach. 'The Mens' is back!
    Must visit North Beach - suspect any nourishment that was added is gone too.

I saw! I noticed that there were diggers at the end of the south beach. Is this also related to the sand from the north beach or are they working on the rock protection going towards Kilcoole?

Either way we won't be diving at the mens anytime soon.

well, we've established that I know nothing of the ways of sand:

Z6w__YICVFINRFm-LOUhUw_SgpeVahVMsjkYsZgXUXOi63wcL1QPbHqkru9VuOb7i8YcXeapLFR_judFeN1PWR7jt8304BZP-6cQ0SJMOoymWwQQhk0W8rCUJjMqKefVOz2x5_mOtgHgPsbrGumy02Ya4xDvwMbTitNok8xFgDOIYL6wqh674Hb9oj7gGjevnVpfpyCZnKZG-a-s9rtebM4r_oHq2C9znCarJK411Gi8i5kfnQGxLHEn6ia9wGEGzuSNzC12zKSWLhlICCjFbvwl-Ncc5qmQrN8dsSJijRroDKXVDXArlJ2xpKSrYfJwKWT98xPYwG-rctPGOHsny8bzWzhVdCc-tBRTT4i-LCnTN0XPnSFQsWR75j7kyRMgnVzPB3--cqUik5ai_MFfZ_TnDvZqsemH8jDLhUxpqB4Yx8n5OkFF3Ch2oJL_xGPO1oJRHtPM8iS4y5vByho1-Oi68zb2c1UCMBdJFpM-lVF2IGoItLtYeh4jEsWWDLEiBQlouS_8tRyiYJuOvDcHaSO4b4Lk9o1hmuoqM8zVZrhvZ-Sj9oMqk5G7kLaBC7Ox5G_lvBUNom5mBcghsL549in_tIoS9vLiHezsyMQbxn44zPA8=w1784-h1338-no

red_bairn wrote: »
    I saw! I noticed that there were diggers at the end of the south beach. Is this also related to the sand from the north beach or are they working on the rock protection going towards Kilcoole?

CIE working on coastal protection between Greystones and Kilcoole (wonder was an recent work undone following the storm)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

red_bairn wrote: »

Diggers on south beach recently were involved in coastal protection work being carried out by Iarnrod Eireann to safeguard railway.
    As a matter of interest, the erosion on north beach is making the possibility of the railway becoming closer to the sea a real certainty. Coastal protection at this end of greystones is becoming more and more neccessary.

legrand wrote: »
    'The Mens' is back!
    Well I'm genuinely surprised at that. I wonder is it a temporary storm phenomenon, or will it be usable next summer? Still, nice to see it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

All we need now is a new diving board 😉

and some balmy weather, a couple of parasols, and some cocktails....

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

well, we've established that I know nothing of the ways of sand:

Z6w__YICVFINRFm-LOUhUw_SgpeVahVMsjkYsZgXUXOi63wcL1QPbHqkru9VuOb7i8YcXeapLFR_judFeN1PWR7jt8304BZP-6cQ0SJMOoymWwQQhk0W8rCUJjMqKefVOz2x5_mOtgHgPsbrGumy02Ya4xDvwMbTitNok8xFgDOIYL6wqh674Hb9oj7gGjevnVpfpyCZnKZG-a-s9rtebM4r_oHq2C9znCarJK411Gi8i5kfnQGxLHEn6ia9wGEGzuSNzC12zKSWLhlICCjFbvwl-Ncc5qmQrN8dsSJijRroDKXVDXArlJ2xpKSrYfJwKWT98xPYwG-rctPGOHsny8bzWzhVdCc-tBRTT4i-LCnTN0XPnSFQsWR75j7kyRMgnVzPB3--cqUik5ai_MFfZ_TnDvZqsemH8jDLhUxpqB4Yx8n5OkFF3Ch2oJL_xGPO1oJRHtPM8iS4y5vByho1-Oi68zb2c1UCMBdJFpM-lVF2IGoItLtYeh4jEsWWDLEiBQlouS_8tRyiYJuOvDcHaSO4b4Lk9o1hmuoqM8zVZrhvZ-Sj9oMqk5G7kLaBC7Ox5G_lvBUNom5mBcghsL549in_tIoS9vLiHezsyMQbxn44zPA8=w1784-h1338-no

Indeed. The riddle of the sands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Advertisement