Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Poolbeg Chimney

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Jesus, I wasn't expecting him to fall at the end. Fuck.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

This is the same type of thing from Russia. Guys climbing a construction Crane.

I felt physically ill watching parts of this. Heights have always terrified me, I have nightmares about falling off cliffs or high buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

The lad in the OP's post is not Irish then. " Visiting Ireland ". Probably another of those crazy Russians.

They just seem to be wired in a different way, don't they? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There are Irish people
    Who have climbed the chimneys and other landmarks but it was before you tube and they didn't d it for them selves not for fame ; althought I've read up on the current crop and it seems they use the money to travel and climb stuff so that's cool.
    Ads like these were because kids used to climb the pylons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Search for "Tower Climbers Working" on YouTube. Now this is stomach churning!!

https://youtu.be/2A_h2AjJaMw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

That is one of the best videos I have ever seen! Not just because of the climbing, but to see such a mysterious and unexplored part of Dublin!

Did you see the ancient wood barrels and crates next to the old Dublin United Tramways turbine house? Wow! Like a time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Sure the sweat is only pissing off my palms watching that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Good luck with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sorry to come off as an ass.... It's just whats the big deal when you step back and look at it.
    That's a service ladder for maintenance. He's probably something like the 20th guy to go up there in total. While the others were most likely double his age and heck, maybe some triple his age (He does look around 17/18)

Like fair play to him he has got balls. I ain't taking away anything from his courage but if we shift context... that's just someones job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

i spose there's a railing ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

O I just couldn't do that...don't mind me username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My knees have gone wobbly just watching that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Interesting how all sorts of security fencing is so easily bypassed. The start where there's a fence at the bridge but a pipe running alongside the bridge is funny! Also I never realized there was a lid on those chimbleys! Nice view of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    That is one of the best videos I have ever seen! Not just because of the climbing, but to see such a mysterious and unexplored part of Dublin!

Did you see the ancient wood barrels and crates next to the old Dublin United Tramways turbine house? Wow! Like a time machine.

More like a film set ;)

A friend of mine climbed the towers before but BASE jumped of them, git a slap on the wrist from ESB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

One surprise gust of wind and he's off balance and in trouble. Guy has a death wish imo. In the wider context of life, it's not worth the risk for a bit of adrenaline and a YouTube views. Some of his other videos are even more extreme.

https://youtu.be/-85lyn17wxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

After they finish the current Luas upgrade they could move onto
    running a cable car from the chimneys to the spire on O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Interesting how all sorts of security fencing is so easily bypassed. The start where there's a fence at the bridge but a pipe running alongside the bridge is funny! Also I never realized there was a lid on those chimbleys! Nice view of Dublin.

I think there is only a lid on one as I saw drone footage recently where you could see down into the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I couldn't do it but the world would be a very boring place without people like this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I could feel my sphincter tighten when he looked over the edge. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Sorry to come off as an ass.... It's just whats the big deal when you step back and look at it.
    That's a service ladder for maintenance. He's probably something like the 20th guy to go up there in total. While the others were most likely double his age and heck, maybe some triple his age (He does look around 17/18)

Like fair play to him he has got balls. I ain't taking away anything from his courage but if we shift context... that's just someones job.

A lot if the time the footage makes it look worse than it actually is. I saw a YouTube video once of a group of fellas climbing one man's pass at slieve league and the footage made it look terrifying. In reality is a moderate hike

dan1895 wrote: »
    I think there is only a lid on one as I saw drone footage recently where you could see down into the chimney.

They've just installed them

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/esb-confirms-iconic-poolbeg-chimneys-to-remain-after-demolition-fears-31182440.html

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Look up Fred Dibnah on YouTube. A man into his fifties getting paid to do it. As someone said earlier, that's someone's job.....not that I'd do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Look up Fred Dibnah on YouTube. A man into his fifties getting paid to do it. As someone said earlier, that's someone's job.....not that I'd do it

speaking of its someones job
    I was working around the Stillorgan rd about 3 weeks ago and we watched two nutters climb to thr top of the Montrose areial at rte to adjust the dishes
    we tought we were great lads working on the chimmey of a house untill these lads sh1t on us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Pretty sure workers have harnesses. At least i'd imagine it would be a serious violation of health and safety if they didn't. Also, I doubt they stand next to the edge of the top looking down completely unsupported. That was crazy.

Pretty sure workers have harnesses. At least i'd imagine it would be a serious violation of health and safety if they didn't. Also, I doubt they stand next to the edge of the top looking down completely unsupported. That was crazy.

Above 6 ft and you need a harness

Advertisement