Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ALDI/LIDL refused planning permission in Athenry.

Options
  • 23-10-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭

It appears that planning permission has been refused for "a discount store " in Athenry. The inadequate sewerage system and zoning have been stated as the reasons for rejection. The money squandered by local and national politicians and government organisations in the past is still continuing to stiffle the growth of another rural town.
    Any news or updates are available here -https://m.facebook.com/groups/1418869715080933?ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Good, those stores are strangling our traditional shops and all the profits are going to Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So that's a good reason to make people pay high prices for the basics?
    They employ people and pay taxes here, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ch1co

There's actually two separate applications for planning permission in Athenry for a discount food store. As far as I know the one which got rejected is for a store located near the train station on Church Street. The other application which was successful is located at the co-op site on Cross Street. So the owners of the co-op site can now sell the site to a discount food retailer who offers the most money with planning permission granted there. As to who is a discount food store obviously Aldi and Lidl are but would the likes of Supervalu, Tesco express etc be included as one as well? Hope some of this info helps.

Ch1co wrote: »
    There's actually two separate applications for planning permission in Athenry for a discount food store. As far as I know the one which got rejected is for a store located near the train station on Church Street. The other application which was successful is located at the co-op site on Cross Street. So the owners of the co-op site can now sell the site to a discount food retailer who offers the most money with planning permission granted there. As to who is a discount food store obviously Aldi and Lidl are but would the likes of Supervalu, Tesco express etc be included as one as well? Hope some of this info helps.

From what I understand Supervalu can definitely be included in the scope of discount store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »

Really exposes the bizarre decisions around planning in this country.

"Will be build it in an uncongested area on a 2 way street outside the town walls?"

"No, we will stick it in the corner of a busy area with a one way street."

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayo2011

From what I understand Supervalu can definitely be included in the scope of discount store.

Since when are Supervalue considered a "discount store"?

They're just as expensive as Joyces - another rip-off merchant. And as for Tesco, there was a time when they offered value for money, but that time has long passed.

There are only 2 discount chains in this country at present, and they are Aldi and Lidl. A weekly shop at either of these stores costs approx half of what it costs at any of the other chains.

If local merchants cant compete with larger chains, why should the consumer be forced to pay? We are still in recession. Why must residents in Athenry be forced to spend extra money on fuel travelling the 30-40 mile round trip to Galway, just so they can avail of the deals the rest of the country takes for granted?

Jayo2011 wrote: »
    Since when are Supervalue considered a "discount store"?

They're just as expensive as Joyces - another rip-off merchant. And as for Tesco, there was a time when they offered value for money, but that time has long passed.

There are only 2 discount chains in this country at present, and they are Aldi and Lidl. A weekly shop at either of these stores costs approx half of what it costs at any of the other chains.

If local merchants cant compete with larger chains, why should the consumer be forced to pay? We are still in recession. Why must residents in Athenry be forced to spend extra money on fuel travelling the 30-40 mile round trip to Galway, just so they can avail of the deals the rest of the country takes for granted?

I read it on another page, posted by someone who was heavily involved in opposing the rejection.

I totally agree with everything you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Blocked by Joyce's imho

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did a search at http://www.eplanning.ie/LeitrimCC/searchexact and couldn't find anything. It would list failed applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

the_syco wrote: »
    Did a search at http://www.eplanning.ie/LeitrimCC/searchexact and couldn't find anything. It would list failed applications.
    This is Leitrim County Council, not Galway CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I believe the Co-op may have found an alternative site so a 'discount supermarket' may be on the cards yet

Greaney wrote: »
    I believe the Co-op may have found an alternative site so a 'discount supermarket' may be on the cards yet

Source? This could be Supervalu still though?

Advertisement