Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repeat Fees?

• 14-04-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anyone know what the fees are like for repeating the academic year? (Not the exams).

It's the Multimedia Systems/Web Engineering course and I would be repeating 3rd year but only one or two modules. Someone told me in some colleges it can be up to 7000 euro and it's put the fear of god into me.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Anyone know what the fees are like for repeating the academic year? (Not the exams).

It's the Multimedia Systems/Web Engineering course and I would be repeating 3rd year but only one or two modules. Someone told me in some colleges it can be up to 7000 euro and it's put the fear of god into me.

Cheers.

Unfortunately it's typically more expensive to repeat modules than exams but the charges are usually separate. There will be your registration fee to consider as well. I've been out of Dun Laoghaire for a few years now so I'm not aware of the specifics that students encounter including fees but I'd say a visit/phonecall/email to your schools office or the registrar should give you the information you need.

That 7000euro fee sounds like repeating an entire year, modules, exams and registration. With some luck, your own figure won't be so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Yeah leatherjacket.

Rather than worrying about how much it might be head straight to student services for the correct information. As far as I know the amount depends on the credit weight of the modules. So two 5 credit modules would be cheaper than 2 15 credit modules. Talk to them as they're happy to give advice and help you plan the best way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 leatherjacket

Thought I would jump back in here for anyone that sees this.

atgate was right. The cost was just based on the amount of modules I repeated, and also the credits for each module.

Could be very cheap if you just repeated one module that was worth 5 credits etc.

Thought I would jump back in here for anyone that sees this.

atgate was right. The cost was just based on the amount of modules I repeated, and also the credits for each module.

Hope it all worked out?
    Could be very cheap if you just repeated one module that was worth 5 credits etc.
    For anyone else reading it's obviously much cheaper to pass the modules in the first place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Graham1101

Hi not sure if this thread is still active but ill give it a go. It looks like I might have to repeat a module next year that's worth 10 credits. there's no exams or anything just two CA's during the year. just wondering if anyone would have a rough idea how much this would cost and will it cost me the 3000 registration fee on top of the repeat cost or is it just the cost to repeat the module as its just the one.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Graham. Forgot I started this thread. If you're just repeating one module it won't be an awful lot. If I recall correctly it's basically the amount of credits that add up.

So say you were repeating every module. It would just be the normal cost (say 3000 for example). If you were only repeating 3 modules, which added up to be worth half of the overall credits, it would be 1500.

Since you're only repeating one module, you could be looking at maybe 500-700 quid. It depends on the amount of modules. I actually emailed the academic office with my situation and they got back to me with the exact cost.

It's worth noting that you should try to ask them if you can carry forward your failed module into the following year. I've heard that in some exceptional circumstances you are allowed to do that depending on the course and the severity of the module. It means you'll have a bit more work to do, but it's better than wasting a year.

All the best.

Hi leatherjacket cheers for getting back to me and for the advice I really appreciate it!

in terms of carrying; I don't really feel this is a viable option because even at the start of this year (2nd) i sort of felt that I wasn't up to par on where I needed to be in the course.

I'm seeing having to repeat this module almost in a good light albeit the cost. I feel the extra time will give me chance to get to where I need to be in my own time without the pressure of CA's that I know/I feel i'm not ready for.

if there is any chance you could pass on the Email of the people you contacted about the definite price that would be much appreciated.

cheers!

It's also worth asking if it's possible to retrieve the credits via summer project. There's a number of health warnings about this though. It's only possible on certain types of modules and it depends on whether the student can realistically do the work without supervision and on their own etc. Final decisions on these are taken by the exam board with the advice of the course team. So, it's also worth talking to your course team and / or head of department to see if it's appropriate. And it's free! Needless to say if a summer project follows a fail then the module is capped at a pass, so it's not a way of just "buying more time"!

Graham1101 wrote: »
    Hi leatherjacket cheers for getting back to me and for the advice I really appreciate it!

in terms of carrying; I don't really feel this is a viable option because even at the start of this year (2nd) i sort of felt that I wasn't up to par on where I needed to be in the course.

I'm seeing having to repeat this module almost in a good light albeit the cost. I feel the extra time will give me chance to get to where I need to be in my own time without the pressure of CA's that I know/I feel i'm not ready for.

if there is any chance you could pass on the Email of the people you contacted about the definite price that would be much appreciated.

cheers!

I got in touch with Pamela from the academic office who was very nice about it. This was 2 years ago now but I assume she still deals with similar situations or at least will point you in the right direction. If you didn't want to email, the other option is to visit the academic office on the bottom floor of the Atrium. On the left just after going through the large revolving doors leading towards the front car park. They deal with this sort of thing specifically and could answer in 10 seconds what could take 2 days of emailing.

I don't want to post Pam's email here because of spam etc, but here's her contact page with all her info: http://www.iadt.ie/about/staff/pamela-gaynor

Hope this helps.

Cheers atgate for the advice I might look into that!.

leatherjacket again thanks for the assistance I will get on that on Monday and find out for sure really appreciate it! cheers.

Graham

• Advertisement

Graham1101 wrote: »
    leatherjacket again thanks for the assistance I will get on that on Monday and find out for sure really appreciate it! cheers.

Graham

No problem bud best of luck with it.

Advertisement