Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favorite Action Movies

Options
  • 29-11-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭

About a month ago I made a thread about your favorite Comedy movies. The thread got a pretty good response I thought about doing one for action movies.

Action movies have always been a pretty good genre to me. There's nothing better than sitting down to a nice action movie. In watching these movies you tend to get movies that are full of typical action movie clichés, like the star of the movie being one man armies who are seemly unstoppable despite the odds, and corny dialogue which sometimes sees that the propagandist trying to be cool and funny by making witty one liners and wisecracks. Despite that, it hasn't changed my love for action movies. So what are people's favorite action movies.

The first on my list is Terminator 1 & 2. The first two Terminator movies were absolutely brilliant. Good action sequences, a sensible plot that people can get behind, iconic scenes that people still remember, like the T-800 storming the police station in T-1 and gunning down all those cops, or in T-2 with the motorcycle chase scene. The acting was also really good especially in T-2, I think everyone was spot on with their characters. Arnie played the T-800 perfectly by adding some humanity to his character, Linda Hamilton's portrayal of Sarah Connor was stunning, and Edward Furlong and Robert Patrick did really well too. But yeah the first two Terminator movies are among my favorite movies of all time. As for the later movies. I didn't hate Terminator 3, and the more I watch it the more I like about it. But it didn't have the same connection as the first one. I keep telling myself that it was probably because of the absence of James Cameron, who chose to make Titanic instead but whatever. It's decent enough for me not to hate. I didn't particular like Terminator Salvation either or Terminator Genisys.

Die Hard 1,2 and 3. I think this will be on a lot of people's list. The annual Christmas festivities would not be the same without watching John McClane trying to stop a group of terrorists from completing their mission. Whether it be John throwing Hans Gruber off the Nakatomi Plaza, John blowing up a plane full of mercenaries by igniting the the fuel trail with his lighter, or blowing up an helicopter piloted by Simon Gruber. Either way McClane always saves the day. The original trilogy will always be well remembered to me, and is full of great action sequences, dialogue, and an all around good popcorn flick. Much like Terminator though, I didn't quite like the later movies. Call me stubborn but I just think they were trying to milk the franchise by making later movies, and maybe trying to use nostalgia, but they just didn't do much for me.

Robocop, this cyberpunk action movie was a childhood favorite of mine. This half man, half robot, cop was a preserver of justice in Detroit, Michigan, one of the most corrupt, crime ridden cities in the US. If only they had one of these now. But the movie is another favorite of mine. I also liked the sequels too. Not sure what to think about the remake, but I watched it there a while back and didn't hate it.

Lethal Weapon, last on my list is the Lethal Weapons franchise. These movies have it all. Great acting, good action sequences, a good balance of comedy and drama, and probably the best buddy cop movie around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Driving Miss Daisy, the car chase scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Nothing in fùcking action movies high alive is beating that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Die Hard.

/end of thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Running Man, Predator (in fact most of Arnie's films in the 80s) and yes, Die Hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Commando, total recall,
    so many one liners that I try to incorporate into my daily life

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

T2 and Die Hard are the action movies by which all others must be judged (and be found wanting).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Commando, total recall,

Perfect time of year for this one alright...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Con Air and The Rock. Incredibly stupid films that are still very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Lethal Weapon, Dirty Harry, Point Break.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Under Siege

"He's just a Chef God Damn it" :D or something along those lines..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Terminator 1 & 2.
    Running Man.
    Total Recall.
    Desperado.
    Kill Bill 1 & 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The Running Man, Predator (in fact most of Arnie's films in the 80s) and yes, Die Hard
    Commando, total recall,
    Red Heat, Conan the Barbarian, True Lies.

Hell, Jingle All the Way is a better action movie than a lot of Segal movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thread needs more John Wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Thread needs more John Wick.

You just beat me to it. Best action film I have seen for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I ****ing love Die Hard. John Wick as well. But still, Die Hard.
    'Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?
    Was always kinda partial to Roy Rogers actually. I really like those sequined shirts.'

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Padre101

Death Warrant, possibly Jean Claude van Damme's finest outing.

Also honourable mentions for Die Hard franchise and the Dirty Harry films, except the last one, The Dead Pool. Should have stopped at Sudden Impact - "Go ahead, make my day."

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Padre101

Death Warrant, possibly Jean Claude van Damme's finest outing.

Also honourable mentions for Die Hard franchise and the Dirty Harry films, except the last one, The Dead Pool. Should have stopped at Sudden Impact - "Go ahead, make my day."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Delta Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Terminator 1 and 2.
    Die Hard and all sequels except 2 and the last one (haven't seen it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Big Trouble In Little China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Debbie does Dallas

Pacific Rim. I know it's dwarfed by most films in this list but it has two points going for it.

1) It's actually a lot of fun.
    2) It's managed to partially rescue the giant robot genre from the abhorrent mess that is the transformer franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    T2 and Die Hard are the action movies by which all others must be judged (and be found wanting).

Aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Grayson wrote: »
    Con Air and The Rock. Incredibly stupid films that are still very enjoyable.

And the wonderfully preposterous Face Off.

Aliens.

How could I forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

while the list of old 80s movies is wonderful, i found dredd to be a high point of action movies in the past few years whilst being overshadowed by countless marvel movies in the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I watched The Running Man for the first time last night because I read the Stephen King book a couple of months ago.

It was too different from the book to even believe the filmmakers actually read it. I was disappointed in that sense.

However, its so eighties I thought it was hilarious and entertaining. The Arnie puns are just cheese, "what a hot head", "he had to split" etc. But I did enjoy them.

Overall its not comparable to die hard or lethal weapon in my opinion.

It reminds me of Demolition Man which I think is a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Grayson wrote: »
    How could I forget that.

Very possibly the greatest action movie ever, and for my money its predecessor is the greatest horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if it's an action film, but if it is, then No country for old Men.

Advertisement