Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson Whiskey

• 22-11-2016 12:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

So Im looking to grab one for the step father as hes a fan of whiskey and I know nothing about them so came to you guys :D
    Ill probably grab it in the duty free so say a budget of 100 euros. Which would you guys recommend??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

If it's something to keep, I would recommend Jameson Gold or Jameson 18yr

Both are being discontinued, and will rise in value.

Both also cracking whiskeys to drink.

Gold is €62 and 18yr is €96 in the duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody thinking of the regular stuff

posted 17-11-16
    kceire wrote: »
    Groceries: Jameson 700ml - Eurospar €20
    The other half buys her nanny a bottle of this every Christmas.
    This the cheapest I've seen it for a while.

Bought in Eurospar Meakstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

rubadub wrote: »
    Anybody thinking of the regular stuff

posted 17-11-16

Thats a solid price for the regular stuff was in o briens today 24 in there they have the crested for 30 and the caskmates for 33 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Is he a fan of Jameson or just Whiskey .? Check first in case he might prefer a Scotch . Its got a lovely malty taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There are some new Jameson whiskeys out as well; Bold, Round and Lively. Only available in the airport, afaik and they've been giving out samples the past couple of months anytime I've been there. I think the Lively was my favourite of the bunch. Price is around €49 for a litre so a bit below your budget though.

Redbreast 15 is around €100 and a great whiskey as well and I don't think a Jameson drinker would be disappointed to get a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I did very much enjoy a bottle of bold after my last trip through Heathrow, and the Caskmates is always worth getting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »
    There are some new Jameson whiskeys out as well; Bold, Round and Lively.

Are these related to the terrible tack named ones (Coopers Croze, Distillers Dog, Sarcoptic Mange Mite or something) or not?

If they aren't, A1 in brand dilution lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Is he a fan of Jameson or just Whiskey .? Check first in case he might prefer a Scotch . Its got a lovely malty taste.

So do many, many Irish whiskeys. And many, many Scotch whiskies don't have a lovely malty taste.

Kal El wrote: »
    So Im looking to grab one for the step father as hes a fan of whiskey and I know nothing about them so came to you guys :D
    Ill probably grab it in the duty free so say a budget of 100 euros. Which would you guys recommend??

If you can get to Bow Street (assuming it's open at the moment), you could get the cask strength black barrel at the museum. You pour it yourself. It's very good, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brockagh wrote: »
    If you can get to Bow Street (assuming it's open at the moment), you could get the cask strength black barrel at the museum. You pour it yourself. It's very good, in my opinion.

Closed until March I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Hes from South America so Jameson is the most known drink. But its very expensive down there if even attainable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That coopers croze is excellent, Picked up a bottle last trip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Does anyone know if the Jameson bold, lively and red are a re-branded distiller safe, copper croze and blenders dog for duty free shops?

Does anyone know if the Jameson bold, lively and red are a re-branded distiller safe, copper croze and blenders dog for duty free shops?

There are to be released to the public eventually.
    They will different from, but replacements for Gold and 18yr, both of which are being discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

irish_goat wrote: »
    There are some new Jameson whiskeys out as well; Bold, Round and Lively. Only available in the airport, afaik and they've been giving out samples the past couple of months anytime I've been there. I think the Lively was my favourite of the bunch. Price is around €49 for a litre so a bit below your budget though.

Redbreast 15 is around €100 and a great whiskey as well and I don't think a Jameson drinker would be disappointed to get a bottle.

The deconstructed range are poor. As are the makers series. An attempt to get away from age statements that's gone badly wrong.

The deconstructed range are poor. As are the makers series. An attempt to get away from age statements that's gone badly wrong.

This could be compete pie in the sky, but are they going away from age statements due to the current global popularity for Irish whiskey, and the inability to suffently supply aged product.

Who would have know back in the late 90s that so much 18yr whiskey would now be required.

A victim of their own success.

Personally, I'll be grabbing a few Jameson 18yr and Gold over the coming months.

I see that the Celtic whiskey shop, are also saying gold is being discontinued,

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/jameson-gold

Unfortunately this much loved bottling will soon be discontinued and will be replaced by a new range of no-age-statement Jameson whiskeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

18yo Jameson is going nowhere,just the Gold and 12yo that have been discontinued.

lord lucan wrote: »
    18yo Jameson is going nowhere,just the Gold and 12yo that have been discontinued.

2 managers at idc in midleton told me differently last week.

That's my source(s)

And I'm only repeating what I was told.

Perhaps they shouldn't have mentioned it...

Or they simply made a mistake.. I don't know, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

pa990 wrote: »
    2 managers at idc in midleton told me differently last week.

That's my source(s)

And I'm only repeating what I was told.

Perhaps they shouldn't have mentioned it...

Last time I talked to a couple of people from IDL they were adamant it was staying. They'd be mad to drop it,with vintage not being made since 2007 and Gold and 12yo gone it would leave Signature Reserve as the oldest product in the Jameson stable at 8-9 yrs old.

With many others like Walsh,Teeling and Tullamore bringing out older whiskies and Bushmills finally getting more 16 and 21yo back on the market it will leave Jameson way behind.

• Advertisement

@lordlucan

It's been a while since I've had a bottle of Jameson 12.

I know what I'm buying tomorrow

I heard that they planned to drop the Jameson 18 too, but it got a reprieve.

Brockagh wrote: »
    I heard that they planned to drop the Jameson 18 too, but it got a reprieve.

TBH
    I think they are mad to be dropping any age statement product.

Kal El wrote: »
    Hes from South America so Jameson is the most known drink. But its very expensive down there if even attainable

I picked up Jameson in Cuba for a about $10 (750ml)

It's one of the easiest whiskey to get in my experience.

Advertisement