Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy XV

• 28-11-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Sweet Jesus let this be good. I love the look of it and quite enjoyed the anime Kingsglaive. Dont often preorder but am excited for this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

I am really cautious, Ill wait for reiews, but it looks very promising. not too sure about the combat,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

It looks good but the series has been on a massive decline post FFIX in my opinion. 13 and the sequels were rubbish out. Could be absolutely pearways like.

Still cautiously optimistic about this one though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It looks good but the series has been on a massive decline post FFIX in my opinion. 13 and the sequels were rubbish out. Could be absolutely pearways like.

Still cautiously optimistic about this one though.

I thought FFXIII-2 was loads of fun despite the crappy story.

FFXII-3 though is an incredible game. A contender for secret best FF game. The time limit put a lot of people off but all the systems worked together in a gloriously messy way and breaking those systems and the time limit were all part of the fun. Also it had near Platinum games levels of being gloriously stupid.

Tabitha who took over from Nomura when he was booted off the project has a made a name for himself in square by rescuing disaster projects and his team do really good real time battle systems. While they have made good games before they've never excelled and made something truly excellent but I'm holding out hope that this might be their chance to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm quietly holding out hope for this, Pre-ordered it and the amount of content the team have shown has given me an optimistic view on their work. I was perfectly happy to hear him delay the game to get it that extra coat of polish before shipping so I'm hoping it's as good as I imagine.

I too was impressed by the FFXV Universe in it's offering of Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, I think the plot and characters have been set up sufficiently for me to want to get stuck in. The only thing that concerns me is hearing that it starts fantastically but gets a bit confused near the end, but a solid start should be enough for me to complete it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the plot looks really really dumb but the kind of platinum games dumb I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mine shipped from The Game Collection this morning so hopefully be getting stuck into by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

John Linnemen from Digital Foundry is saying that the PS4 & Pro versions suffer from awful frame pacing issues:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225573253&postcount=6808

EDIT: He may be more tuned to that type of thing though!

John Linnemen from Digital Foundry is saying that the PS4 & Pro versions suffer from awful frame pacing issues:

Hmm. Poor frame pacing us actually quite noticeable and cones across as stuttering performance

I'd be very surprised if they don't patch that out though. As with most of the games, I'd expect patches to smooth the transition to PS4 Pro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm half tempted too keep this for xmas and play it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Haven't got big expectations for this but I bought it anyway. Not enjoyed a final fantasy since 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Looking forward to it!

Anyone ever pre-ordered click & collect from Smyths before? I ordered it a month ago and have the confirmation and order number but they've yet to send me the barcode I need to actually receive it. Hoping they just send it out the night before or morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Its preordered here managed to get one of the 3rd batch of collectors editions from square-enix but haven't got a dispatch confirmation yet.

Did try the various demo's that came out but its final fantasy for me so it pretty much gets ordered no matter what!

I'm half tempted too keep this for xmas and play it then.

Told myself I'd do the same , but yeah thats not gonna happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've played about 12 hours and it's fantastic. Completely different 'road trip' vibe unlike game I've played before, and a genuine mix of fantasy and reality. One of my games of the year.

Reviews are up in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

would this be a bad time to get into Final Fantasy? Never played any of them before

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No one here has broken the release date, have they?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/final-fantasy-xv?ref=hp

Yep buying this tomorrow
    Goodbye Dishonored 2, you disappointed me

Kiith wrote: »
    No one here has broken the release date, have they?

No, Speedboatchase explained on the JRPG thread that he lives in Qatar and they break them regularly over there.

I have to say though, it's great hearing his (very importantly "vague"!) praise of the opening hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hah, I can be more specific, if anyone wants?! Only on Chapter 3 at the moment though, in Duscae. Took me about 10 hours for the first two chapters.

Eurogamer review was very poor. Marked down for a poor story, as if that ever mattered in a FF game. Messy mechanics as well but that's what I love about FF, messy broken battle systems that are great fun to break wide open.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

would this be a bad time to get into Final Fantasy? Never played any of them before

Not really but when you get time play through 7,8,9,10 and 13, 7 and 9 are my personal favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Final Fantasy is getting very like Sonic with it's "cycle".

They have marketed this to new and old players.
    And it sounds like it's a great starting point if you haven't played an FF game before.

I think 7 and 9 are the joint best games in the series by a good bit. Go for 7 if you don't mind shìte 3d 20 year old graphics (though the FMVs still look good to its credit).

However, 10 might be the best place to start. It's very accessible, not too challenging and is fairly representative of the series as a whole; having one foot in the earlier games and another in the future games of the series.

Having said that, I think its the worst FF game since 4, though I'm fairly alone in thinking that I think.

Final Fantasy is getting very like Sonic with it's "cycle".

Only 13 was bad (and not as bad as some people say). The last two FF games, FF13-2 and FF13-3 were great and excellent respectively.
    I think 7 and 9 are the joint best games in the series by a good bit. Go for 7 if you don't mind shìte 3d 20 year old graphics (though the FMVs still look good to its credit).

However, 10 might be the best place to start. It's very accessible, not too challenging and is fairly representative of the series as a whole; having one foot in the earlier games and another in the future games of the series.

Having said that, I think its the worst FF game since 4, though I'm fairly alone in thinking that I think.

I wouldn't recommend 7 or 10 to start out. 7 is a bit ropey at this stage. It's fun but a really uneven experience. 9 might be a better place to start, although I much prefer the SNES 4, 5 and 6 as a starting point but some people don't like the graphics (philistines). 10 has not aged well. Played through it recently and the linearity is really annoying and the end game content is very poor. It makes all the same sins as FF13 only not as badly.

I'd say FF15 is probably a good place to jump in at this stage. It's new, shiny and seems really accessible if it follows the Xenoblade formula it seems to have.

Also I'll have nobody say FF4 is bad, it's one of the best in the series!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Only 13 was bad (and not as bad as some people say). The last two FF games, FF13-2 and FF13-3 were great and excellent respectively.

I wouldn't recommend 7 or 10 to start out. 7 is a bit ropey at this stage. It's fun but a really uneven experience. 9 might be a better place to start, although I much prefer the SNES 4, 5 and 6 as a starting point but some people don't like the graphics (philistines). 10 has not aged well. Played through it recently and the linearity is really annoying and the end game content is very poor. It makes all the same sins as FF13 only not as badly.

I'd say FF15 is probably a good place to jump in at this stage. It's new, shiny and seems really accessible if it follows the Xenoblade formula it seems to have.

I would say 5, but feck, the game's a solid challenge and the job system was great. That would be my choice for the really underrated FF, with 10 being the overrated one. Most people love 10 though. 4 is like the band with the promising debut with the hit song but still have a lot of work to do. It's dated enough, and a lot of what you see in 4 is pulled off better later on.

6 is great but it feels a bit too much like a dress rehearsal for 7. Both games have a very similar structure and set up, with 7 executing it a bit better imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Retr0gamer wrote: »

latest?cb=20131206182149

I haven't bothered with a new FF for a while now but I saw a trailer for this in a store at the weekend and it looked pretty cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ive never played a FF game but this looks nice. I'll wait for a sale I have given up full price game buying.

Advertisement