Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did individuals manage before the internet.

Options
  • 28-11-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭

This is very slightly tongue in cheek.

I subscribe to a professional forum and anyway this has me perplexed some of the queries are at a level barley above.. how do I use a pencil...how did individuals find information about careers jobs or doing a masters, professional development, progressing themselves in anyway before the internet and more importantly did the effort and mastery of figuring it out without the internet produce individuals who were more resilient and mature in their out look.

Comments

mariaalice wrote: »
    I subscribe to a professional forum and anyway this has me perplexed some of the queries are at a level barley above.. how do I use a pencil...

A rye observation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't know, I don't really remember a time with no internet.
    What was it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

What was it like?

Miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What was it like?

People were more punctual and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Simpler times...but people were more resourceful in getting information that they needed.

Booking a holiday, pre internet, was a pain in the arse though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

What was it like?

You had to actually meet people in person more, You went to the library or bought books to learn & get information, You actually read newspapers for the news and write letters to correspond with family's and friends and of course boyfriends/girlfriends etc, How did we ever mange ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Carrier pidgeon BUT the mods were hawks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I subscribe to a professional forum and anyway this has me perplexed some of the queries are at a level barley above.. how do I use a pencil...how did individuals find information about careers jobs or doing a masters, professional development, progressing themselves in anyway before the internet and more importantly did the effort and mastery of figuring it out without the internet produce individuals who were more resilient and mature in their out look.

The library was probably the "physical" version of the internet I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Winterlong wrote: »
    Simpler times...but people were more resourceful in getting information that they needed.

Booking a holiday, pre internet, was a pain in the arse though.

That is kinda my point does having to be resourceful = resilience and maturity or at least contribute to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

We got most of information via Easons and Oprah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We got it mouth-to-mouth. So you got to listen it and 'member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You had to walk more.

That is kinda my point does having to be resourceful = resilience and maturity or at least contribute to it.

Yeah I suppose a lot of knowledge came with experience and age rather than through internet research. We sometimes learned things the hard way though. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Slowly.

You had to actually meet people in person more, You went to the library or bought books to learn & get information, You actually read newspapers for the news and write letters to correspond with family's and friends and of course boyfriends/girlfriends etc, How did we ever mange ? :)

There was also the phone. And people would actually talk. For ages. A chat with the girlfriend was anything from half an hour or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I remember creating an email account but being the only one in my group that had one, so had nobody to send an email to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Table quizzes were more fun.

Just reading your post again and actually when it comes to doing a masters I think the internet can sometimes slow you down as there's so much information out there that's not relevant or needed. Trawling through it can take up a lot of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

You could actually have argument with somebody about whether something was true or not, without somebody googling the answer within 2 minutes

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

We managed. Information diffused much more slowly but eventually reached people. I think email and the Internet really sped up the pace of work - people demanding replies/documents instantly - things were done more slowly but with more care. So much about the Internet in incredible - the library of the world at your fingertips. But so much is superficial and all for show - like facebook updates and "selfies" - short attention spans and getting bored in 5 minutes.

We waited more for things and were more patient. And I was 20 when I used the Internet for the first time. I've never really known the work environment before the web - but I do recall when faxes and couriers were an everyday fact of work life!

But I born into the computer age. Brought up in the era of the Personal Computer and computer games. I really can't imagine life without computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I had to look for jobs in the evening herald,
    Looking for an apartment or house to rent, you had to get up early to get the 1st edition of the independent and call before anyone else.
    Had to look at the tv listings on the middle pages of the newspaper.
    Sports scores and news were to be found on aertel.

All school and college projects were done in a library.
    When I had a job where we had email, we had to connect to the internet to access the email and then disconnect once we were done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

osarusan wrote: »
    I remember creating an email account but being the only one in my group that had one, so had nobody to send an email to.

And back in those days you didn't even have a Nigerian Prince to email

hairyslug wrote: »
    Sports scores and news were to be found on aertel.

Forgot about Aertel. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I drew my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

wait for Dublin Bus from City Centre at the Terminus to go home...and wait..and wait...and wait. :(:(:(:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

What was it like?

It was great, apart from the queue for the village phone-box. This was even more awkward in my case as I had to bring my Model 33 Teletype - together with a battery out of an old David Brown 990 - over the road in a wheelbarrow in order to send jokes to my dork friends in California via Purdue University's mainframe. Whipping the best britches out from under the mattress of a Saturday evening and chuffing off up the road on the ol' BSA Two-and-a-Half, newspaper inside the suit jacket to block the wind, cob-pipe clenched in the corner-teeth and cap set at a just-so jaunty angle was something special, though - after collecting De Ladyfriend and installing her side-saddle on top of the tank, we'd head off to De Hop to give the evening supping bottles of stout and stealing looks at each other across the hall. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Jobs were advertised in newspapers , on notice boards in shops .
    texting on phones was invented before the web ,broadband became widely avaidable .
    People talked ,people did not go to a pub or cafe and spend half the time looking at a smartphone.
    People would talk on the phone for a long time .
    IF you wanted to view a flat you,d have to phone the landlord and make
    an appointment to view it.
    Most people had 1 phone in the hallway.
    i know a bloke had a phone with a coinbox in the hallway for his children to use.
    I,d go to a library or to a netcafe to use the web on a pc.

I find myself wondering how people manage despite the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well before I got the internet, Encarta was my main source of information. If I had a school project to do, i'd use that for my research source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There was also the phone. And people would actually talk. For ages. A chat with the girlfriend was anything from half an hour or longer.

That awkward moment where you rang your girlfriend's house and her mam or dad answered the phone :eek:

Advertisement