Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did individuals manage before the internet.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

There was no Internet and I lived in a communist country but knew a lot about life and how it goes in Dublin or Belfast or in California and not from the news only. It is interesting the letter posted to N Ireland or from N Ireland usually arrived in 3-4 days. Now it takes 3-4 weeks for letter to arrive the same destination. More personal relations and exchange of personal ideas. Now it is easier through the Internet and much cheap by phone but seems nobody communicate each other so frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Probably as somewhat fringe examples but need to point this out.

Someone with many convictions might not actually show up on Garda vetting at all.

And on the flip side, someone with no convictions can actually show up on Garda vetting.

I don't know say a 19 year old who is in first year of doing a BA in education with the intention of becoming a primary school teacher goes on a night out gets drunk out of their mind takes 'something' illega' is found wandering or semi conscious by the garda who takes them to A and E, would that sort of information show up about them, should it make any difference to someone who is going to become a primary school teacher.

Or the same 19 year old looses it in the middle of a GAA game and trows a punch at someone there may or may not be a prosecution, should soft information about someone becoming a teacher matter.

Information is much easier to find in the age of the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

mariaalice wrote: »
    I don't know say a 19 year old who is in first year of doing a BA in education with the intention of becoming a primary school teacher goes on a night out gets drunk out of their mind takes 'something' illega' is found wandering or semi conscious by the garda who takes them to A and E, would that sort of information show up about them, should it make any difference to someone who is going to become a primary school teacher.

Or the same 19 year old looses it in the middle of a GAA game and trows a punch at someone there may or may not be a prosecution, should soft information about someone becoming a teacher matter.

And a lot of that information is given away by the users. For example, people posting on FB all weekend that they're on the piss and then not turning up for a work on Monday! Really hanging themselves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

My guess is concerns with regards children would only relate to (yet) unproven in a court abuse situations. Being drunk and being brought to A&E by a Garda or getting into a fight during a match wouldn't count as a 'bone fide' risk to children in my opinion, especially if any incident had happened many years prior.

For instance, in the first link I posted, it more or less says even if you have a conviction for Intoxication in public place, Disorderly conduct in public place, Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in public place it will not show up on Garda vetting. So for the two examples you gave, where a conviction hasn't been the result, there is almost zero chance it'll show up.

My guess is concerns with regards children would only relate to (yet) unproven in a court abuse situations. Being drunk and being brought to A&E by a Garda or getting into a fight during a match wouldn't count as a 'bone fide' risk to children in my opinion, especially if any incident had happened many years prior.

For instance, in the first link I posted, it more or less says even if you have a conviction for Intoxication in public place, Disorderly conduct in public place, Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in public place it will not show up on Garda vetting. So for the two examples you gave, where a conviction hasn't been the result, there is almost zero chance it'll show up.

But the idea that soft information should be taken in to account for certain professions has been floated.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The thing is while the internet has make the world more democratic and you would imagine people would be more interests in the truth, what Trump has shown is that lots of people are not interest in the truth even after fact checks of some of his tweets and utterances were proveing them to be made up it didn't matter. In other words people thend to use the internet to confirm there own bias and ignore factually correct information that contradicts this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The thing is while the internet has make the world more democratic and you would imagine people would be more interests in the truth, what Trump has shown is that lots of people are not interest in the truth even after fact checks of some of his tweets and utterances were proveing them to be made up it didn't matter. In other words people thend to use the internet to confirm there own bias and ignore factually correct information that contradicts this.

Get over it. It is not like Hillary Clinton is a paragon of truth and honesty, she has been lying through her teeth for decades. Much worse than Trump in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

diomed wrote: »
    You can tell by poor spelling that a poster does not read books.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

what Trump has shown is that..

.. Americans are sick-to-death of talking heads who say the 'right' things but change nothing. Trump's election was a 'fuck you' vote - a brick through the window of the establishment* tweedle-dee tweedle-dum choice.

I blame the failure of 'the left' to offer an alternative to the screw-you-as-usual politics. 'The left' have favoured a 'lite' version of 'the right' and are reaping what they've sown.

*for the record I don't think Trump will do anything to improve the lot of those who voted for him or the rest of the 99%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We didn't start the fire...

"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
    - Bill Clinton

Reagan and plausible deniability.
    Haughey 'living beyond his means'.
    The Gulf of Tonkin.
    Kennedy's Addisons disease being kept under wraps.
    The Missile Gap.
    The USS Maine.

I could go on...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
Advertisement