Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves #6 - Jude13

• 28-11-2016 9:00am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Here we are week 6, trees are popping up left and right, the toy show is Friday and the first of December is Thursday. We are getting so close to Christmas.

This week we are joined by a forum regular Jude13. Jude is such a part of this forum that we all feel a little bit closer to Christmas when he boards that flight home to Ireland for Christmas.

Let's kick off. Quality street or Roses? White Christmas yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers.

Quality Street all the way. I have been disturbed by the number of Roses people on this board.

Definite yay, I have two in memory, 2009 and 2010. Had a nightmare getting home in 2010 with a 14 hour layover in Abu Dhabi, then landed in Shannon instead of Dublin. Got the train to Hueston, taxi to about 3km from my house as it couldn't get closer. Then trek with a 25+kg roller suitcase in heavy snow. But still a yay (once it falls after I land on the 15th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Cali Tasteless Sobriety

Have you put up your Christmas tree yet?

Yup, put it up on the 19th (I think). Its in the Christmas tree pic thread along with the story of how I only put the actual tree up, no decs as I was worse for wear.

When I move back to Europe it will be a real tree each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why are you not living in Europe now?

The firm I was working with flopped in the crash and I have financial responsibilities so had to sadly leave the Emerald Isle. I had previously worked on the continent as a young buck and one of my old clients offered me a job in the middle of no-where. I hung on till all my savings were gone and then had to take him up on the offer.

Not much call for what I do in Ireland sadly.

• Advertisement

Crisps with your Christmas sandwich....yay or nay?

Never even thought of doing it, I will give it a go this year and get back to you.

My sandwiches are usually made up of way too much ham and stuffing with a thick layer of Kerrygold. I then take a way to big bite and struggle to get it down with a pain in my chest ala Homer Simpson. Then rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Christmas dinner or leftover sandwiches?

Christmas dinner. Cheesy potatoes, Ham, Turkey, Ham, Gravy, Ham...you get the gyst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Eve, Day or Stephens?

• Advertisement

That's a tough one. Defo not Christmas Day. My rankings below:

1. Christmas Eve, town is amazing, everyone is buzzing. Few pints, the thrill of the wait.
    2. St Stephens Day, more relaxed than Christmas day, think shorts and t-shirt lounging around the house. Usually spent at home. As a kid you got more time to actually play with stuff.
    3. Christmas Day, Stress, my mam going nuts 'such and such is late and we have to get to this house by X o'clock, they do this every year!' then get rushed around loads of houses, as a youth get guilted into attending mass as my Dad wouldnt go. Still a good day but its up against some stiff competition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Where will you be spending Christmas this year?

15-17th Cork for a wedding, then Limerick then a hotel in Dublin for 21-24th. after that its still up in the air whether I will be in Dublin or Limerick on Christmas day. Like a rolling stone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    15-17th Cork for a wedding, then Limerick then a hotel in Dublin for 21-24th. after that its still up in the air whether I will be in Dublin or Limerick on Christmas day. Like a rolling stone.

Wow you're getting plenty in for Christmas, #judestourofireland

I usually come home for a week and let myself get dragged from pillar to post. this year a good pal is getting married on the 16th so straight of the plane on the 15th and into the car to Cork. My OH is from Limerick so hence hitting there up.

We have a few days in the hotel in town (Dublin) to chill and take in the buzz and have a few pints so it should be great craic.

If you could have any celebrity (dead or alive) as your Christmas guest who would you pick?

Oooh good one.

David Bowie, he could sing a few tunes and tell us some stories of his drug fueled days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Is there usually a good buzz / atmosphere in the hotel for Christmas?

No idea, never stayed in a hotel over Christmas before. It look all christmasy (was there for a drink before going of to propose to the OH).

I have meet my pals for the last decade or more in the same spot in town on the 23rd so we thought it would be cool to have somewhere to sleep within walking distance. Plus town in so good at Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, I just realised after I asked that maybe this was the first time you were going to be staying. Must come up with a better question. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Have you spent Christmas abroad?

Favourite Christmas treat?

Favourite Christmas Forum thread?

Loughc wrote: »
    Favourite Christmas Forum thread?

I think we all know that answer :-)

Do you put tinsel on your Christmas tree?

Have you spent Christmas abroad?

Yes I have spent Christmas abroad, only once for the actual day. I have flown home the 23 and left straight after Christmas a few times.

The one time I spent the whole season abroad was good and bad.

A few of us (Christmas orphans, we were feeling sorry for ourselves) went around to older friends of our, Seasoned expats, first thing in the morning. They have a bar outside by their own pool. Exchanged small gifts and all swore that this was a great Christmas. It was actually fun and novelty. After many glasses of bubbly etc we all went back to change out of our swimmers.

I went home and threw the ham in the oven and the turkey on the braai/bbq. The heat made it a bit strange so I banged on the AC as low as it could go, threw won Christmas jumpers and put a log fire app on the tv. then everyone came around mine for lunch/dinner. There was a room set up in mine with the ipad where people headed to skype home depending on on what part of the planet their family lived, a few tears.

Then we floated around the pool on inflatables and drank as much as we could. Then work the next day ....

kitten_k wrote: »
    Favourite Christmas treat?

My Christmas treats are very strange to most as they seem very normal. Until I moved to the UAE last year it was virtually impossible to get Ham or rashers etc so loads of them. Added to that fish and chip and cheap chinese food.

Im drooling now.

kitten_k wrote: »
    I think we all know that answer :-)

Ha, the Christmas eve thread, I have mentioned before my hatred of flying and that I have used it for a couple of years as an aide to take my mind off my walk on to the plane and take off. I must look like a loon with a big grin on my face reading it but also gripping the armrest like my life depended on it.

My flight app says 10 days to go!!!

BDJW wrote: »
    Do you put tinsel on your Christmas tree?

If I had my way I would have tinsel on my tree but somehow my influence in my own house gets over ruled quite regularly, not that it bothers me really.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the Q's. Merry Christmas to all the elves.

Advertisement