Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gluten-free beers?

• 17-07-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

So having been diagnosed as Coeliac a few months back I had to give up the beer and stout. Cider is gluten free but while I do enjoy Bulmers, especially an ice cold long neck bottle on a warm day, I find a lot of ciders to be either too sweet or too dry.

So anyone here able to recommend any readily available decent gluten free beer and stout to help me satisfy the craving!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Estrella does a nice one. There's a gluten-free shelf in my local off licence. Others might have them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Oh, also, try Bulmers Light. It's not as sweet or acidic. I actually prefer it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Estrella does a nice one. There's a gluten-free shelf in my local off licence. Others might have them too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, thanks.

Home brewing is definitely something I'd be interested in further down the line but for now I'm looking for something I can just pick up a few bottles of on a Friday or Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Hufi is quite cheap for a gluten free beer. 3 cans for a fiver just now in tesco. Pretty standard fare but it fills a hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

Testament1 wrote: »
    So having been diagnosed as Coeliac a few months back I had to give up the beer and stout. Cider is gluten free but while I do enjoy Bulmers, especially an ice cold long neck bottle on a warm day, I find a lot of ciders to be either too sweet or too dry.

So anyone here able to recommend any readily available decent gluten free beer and stout to help me satisfy the craving!?

There's Saor, made in Cork by 9 White Deer. Gluten free Kolsch-style beer, should be in most bigger off licences.

saor-gluten-free.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Brú do a gluten free beer. I'm pretty certain that they won an award for it ( maybe it was lager- are they the same thing? Apologies if not)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hufi - canned stuff, relatively new, good price
    Daura Damm - similar to Estrella Damm, bit pricey tho
    Then there are a few smaller craft beers that are gf, Brú have one, Brewdog have one, some others too

One, not officially gf but negligible gluten content (for myself and others) is Brahma, a brasilian(?) beer, comes in 12 packs in tesco, dunnes, sometimes lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Thanks for your suggestions folks, good to know I've a few options still! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

timmyntc wrote: »
    One, not officially gf but negligible gluten content
    I heard of some guy with a gluten testing kit who tested lots of beers and many would have been low enough to fall under some gluten free definition. I think stouts can be low, I guess the roasting process might neutralise it or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    I heard of some guy with a gluten testing kit who tested lots of beers and many would have been low enough to fall under some gluten free definition. I think stouts can be low, I guess the roasting process might neutralise it or something.

Brewed want malt that's lover in nitrogen (gluten include), bread making you're looking for higher concentration

An in brewing it's the carbohydrate that get solubilized and extracted in that mash. Combine that with the hot break in the boil, most of it never makes it into the finished beer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

rubadub wrote:

Not good enough for Coeliacs tho.

For a beer to be officially gluten free, each batch has to be tested and come in under 20ppm. Not just a random bottle. Tests can vary batch to batch.

OP, fellow Coeliac here. Stay away from any beers that aren't tested and certified.

Some great GF beers on the market in the last few years.

-Bru Lager (also on draft in some pubs)
    -Saor
    -Hufi (New to market and the first in Ireland in a can,and best value)
    -Greens Pilsner
    -Mongozo
    - Estrella Daura (don't like it myself)
    ... plus a good few more.

Always ask in pubs, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    There are quality stouts and ales available in the UK and online. I import stout but in bulk to save on horrendous shipping cost.

If a pub is charging extortionate prices for beer cos it's GF, go somewhere else. It's un-necessary and insulting.

Best of luck with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brewdog Vagabond Pale Ale is very good too. I buy it from time to time myself and I love gluten. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

O'Briens Fine Wines will certainly have a few GF beers, even Dunnes carry a handful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are there any pubs in Dublin City centre that serve gluten free beer? I'd like to try a bottle of Saor. I wouldnt be one for drinking at home it would be a social thing for me or I wouldn't bother really.

The pub near Christ Church. Used the be called the bull and castle (maybe still is?) they have quite a lot of world beers. But they do a couple of nice bottled GF beers.

Deedsie wrote:
    Are there any pubs in Dublin City centre that serve gluten free beer? I'd like to try a bottle of Saor. I wouldnt be one for drinking at home it would be a social thing for me or I wouldn't bother really.

Loads. There is a lot of choice these days thankfully.
    You'll get Saor in The Ivy, on Dame Street. Lovely beer.

Black brewery have a gluten free version of there Kinsail lager out, Molloys have it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mini cooper

Hi irlirlishkev can you tell me the name of the Gluten free stout you get in bulk
    Do you get it also from the U.K.?

I use green's Dark ale in my Christmas puddings to replace the original requirement
    for stout-Guinness. I am not gluten intorrelant myself but a family member is.

greens is €3.28 a 330ml bottle from my local office license, he orders it in for me.

I would much prefer to use a G/F stout does it come in a 500ml size?

Thanks Mini-cooper

Hi irlirlishkev can you tell me the name of the Gluten free stout you get in bulk
    Do you get it also from the U.K.?

I use green's Dark ale in my Christmas puddings to replace the original requirement
    for stout-Guinness. I am not gluten intorrelant myself but a family member is.

greens is €3.28 a 330ml bottle from my local office license, he orders it in for me.

I would much prefer to use a G/F stout does it come in a 500ml size?

Thanks Mini-cooper

It's called Westerham Double Stout. Only very recently they've stopped doing it in 500ml bottles unfortunately. It's not just the nicest GF Stout I've tasted, it's the nicest Stout I've tasted, period. I was a big fan of bottled Guinness back in my pre-diagnosis days, and this is quite similar, only nicer imo.

I order it from The Gluten Free Shop UK. As mentioned though, you really need to buy crates of the stuff to justify the shipping cost. Even then, I get it delivered to a friend in the North and she brings it down when visiting.

Another option is Wold Top's Marmalade Porter. I haven't seen this in any off licenses yet, but I've had it, and it's really good. My local Molloys Off License are going to get some in for me in the new year. You could always ask your local. There are already other Wold Top beers available here (eg Against The Grain).

Hope that's of some help!

9 white beer have three beers out that are gluten free, pale ale IPA and a kolsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

oblivious wrote: »
    9 white beer have three beers out that are gluten free, pale ale IPA and a kolsh

Dont think so...Saor is GF but not the rest i think....

http://9whitedeer.ie/wp/index.php/our-range-2/

Dont think so...Saor is GF but not the rest i think....

http://9whitedeer.ie/wp/index.php/our-range-2/

They may not have updated their website, but they have just released some new GF beers. I was hoping they'd include a stout or porter, but alas no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

They may not have updated their website, but they have just released some new GF beers. I was hoping they'd include a stout or porter, but alas no.

Nice early christmas surprise so.:cool:

https://twitter.com/9whitedeer/status/811596091850452993

CR 7 wrote: »
    Nice early christmas surprise so.:cool:

Yes! I saw that on their feed the other day. I can hardly contain myself!

Here they are, sorry its not a great picture

b0fb6967-98dd-4a37-9ea9-bfb4ffcd8bab_zpslfkhtmtx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The White Moose Cafe, stock an impressive range of gluten free beers.

http://www.charlevillelodge.ie/whitemoosecafe.html

Pop in and ask for Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Botched_Job

I order it from The Gluten Free Shop UK. As mentioned though, you really need to buy crates of the stuff to justify the shipping cost. Even then, I get it delivered to a friend in the North and she brings it down when visiting.

Parcelmotel should help you here.

I ordered a 24 box of Vagabond directly from Brewdog to my parcel motel (as a little Chrismas present to myself) & picked it up in Galway ðŸ‘
    Also, Vagabond my favourite gf beer so far, would recommend if you like craft beers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I ordered a 24 box of Vagabond directly from Brewdog to my parcel motel (as a little Chrismas present to myself) & picked it up in Galway
    Alcohol is against Parcel Motel's T&Cs. Other people trying to ship beer with it haven't been so lucky.

I ordered a 24 box of Vagabond directly from Brewdog to my parcel motel (as a little Chrismas present to myself) & picked it up in Galway ðŸ‘
    Also, Vagabond my favourite gf beer so far, would recommend if you like craft beers

As Beernut noted above, booze is Parcel Motel's prohibited list (along with fags and sharp objects among other things!). You were lucky it got through. Under normal circumstances they'd hand it straight over to revenue, who then bill you accordingly. You then have to pay to get it delivered from Revenue.

Brewdog: Not a fan myself. But I really don't like that hoppy flavour. Tastes soapy to me. I tend to stick to cans of Hufi. Cheap and cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Peroni now have a gluten free beer out.

Advertisement