Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's getting hot in here....

Options
  • 25-11-2016 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭

Arctic scientists have warned that the increasingly rapid melting of the ice cap risks triggering 19 “tipping points” in the region that could have catastrophic consequences around the globe.

The Arctic Resilience Report found that the effects of Arctic warming could be felt as far away as the Indian Ocean, in a stark warning that changes in the region could cause uncontrollable climate change at a global level.

Temperatures in the Arctic are currently about 20C above what would be expected for the time of year, which scientists describe as “off the charts”. Sea ice is at the lowest extent ever recorded for the time of year.

“The warning signals are getting louder,” said Marcus Carson of the Stockholm Environment Institute and one of the lead authors of the report. “[These developments] also make the potential for triggering [tipping points] and feedback loops much larger.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/25/arctic-ice-melt-trigger-uncontrollable-climate-change-global-level

So the arctic is 20 degrees higher than it should be for this time of year and we have republicans who don't believe in climate change going into government in the US. I wonder if this will change their minds? Probably not.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

melting ice brings down the cost of oil drilling so not all bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Climate change deniers don't think long term so nothing to see here. We're going down with the ship I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The Costa del Waterford will be our sun holiday destination in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Winterlong wrote: »

It's nuts. A 20 degree increase. 20 fcuking degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

But the guys in power don't. Trump has kept saying that it's a chinese conspiracy, although he's slightly softened his approach. They plan to defund the earth science section of NASA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Permabear wrote:

Those 2 stats show at least some cognitive dissonance. The missing stat is how many think climate change is influenced by humans and how many think we should act to influence it.

The last election campaigns were about moving away from ?buying oil from Countries that hate us' .

It's a positive trend though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭emo72

Maybe people wouldn't be so weary about it if it wasn't seen as an excuse to introduce a new tax. But yeah, it's not up to us. There's bugger all people in Ireland can do. America, China and Russia, sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

What can we do about it or is it to late and are we all doomed ?

happy Christmas.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,100 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Permabear wrote:

But they'll vote for he guy who says it's not real. I didn't hear republicans challenging him on climate change throughout the campaign. You're in the USA (I think), did you hear republicans talk about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The missing stat is how many think climate change is influenced by humans and how many think we should act to influence it.
    It's there:

52% of Republicans believe global warming is 'caused mostly by natural changes'. 34% think it is 'caused mostly by human activities'. The figures for democrats are 18% and 75% respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Climate change, yet they always said things like this is hottest day since 1908 . So it was hotter back then eh ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Think how much better things could be if only Elon Musk was the "billionaire genius" running the show:mad:

Climate change, yet they always said things like this is hottest day since 1908 . So it was hotter back then eh ??????

This time they're saying hottest ever recorded. As they have been for the last year. If you want to find an example that's similar to this year you'd have to go back before humanity. To find a time when there's this much carbon dioxide in the air you'd have to go back millions of years.

And this is 20 degrees higher. Think of what that means. 20 degrees higher here would mean wa warm summers day. 20 degrees higher on a hot summers day here would put it above the Sahara.

Permabear wrote: »

I think it was mentioned in an off the cuff response in one presidential debate. So about 10 seconds of talk, no questions and no discussions.

This is Trumps pick for the EPA. A guy who said that best way to fight climate change is to deregulate everything.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/trump-epa-climate-science-myron-ebell-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Grayson wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned in an off the cuff response in one presidential debate. So about 10 seconds of talk, no questions and no discussions.

This is Trumps pick for the EPA. A guy who said that best way to fight climate change is to deregulate everything.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/trump-epa-climate-science-myron-ebell-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

that always works out well in the long run:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Winterlong wrote: »
    Or it could very easily go the other way. Fresh melt water pumping into the north atlantic drift that currently(ouch) keeps our weather extremely mild could shut off. Check out our latitude and compare us to places along a similar latitude. Warmer wetter summers and bitterly frigid winters would likely be in our future if that current slows or shuts down.
    Think how much better things could be if only Elon Musk was the "billionaire genius" running the show:mad:
    While he's a demigod to the nerd sphere his solutions are more like a band aid on a gunshot wound. Yes it is an improvement, but unless the leccy driving his cars is sourced from solar/atomic/wind then you're just moving the crap upstream. Out of sight out of mind. All too human a view. That's before the environmental cost of building the cars in the first place. And rocket launches aren't exactly clean. They're dirty as feck, but thankfully still rare events so…
    Grayson wrote:
    Well that's a major trend in the US administration over the last 40 years. The "money" loves deregulation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This is kinda sh-te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

We'll have to get cracking on some geo-engineering solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

So no White Christmas then .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

It's a pity they had to throw in the 20 degrees bit to sensationalise the article.
    That kind of distorted fact is easily discredited and weakens the overall message.
    Some people will believe that the arctic is now 20 degrees warmer than 'normal' and when that's shown not to be the case, they'll assume that everything about global warming is bogus.

The guys at the top of the food chain in corporate US are probably better informed and more convinced about human induced global warming than they let on. The reality is they don't give a sh1t about the planet and just want to make money. It's easier for them to hide behind a "global warming bogus" mantra than "I'm a societal parasite".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Global warming is far better for us than a period of global cooling- - The spikes in climate change over 50,000 years ago were simply MASSIVE compared to what they are today, - instead of your 20 degrees try 100 - I belive we are contributing, but not enough to cause anything near what is happening - sorry but this is natural phenom.

Randall carlson had some great insights into the history of global warming and cooling - indisputable evidence taken from ice cores.

At one point during the last ice age where icewas 2 miles high over greenland - irelands shore on the west was 400 miles further out than at present - that was only 12,500 years ago! think about that for a second - 400 miles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,829 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another non factual reference not telling us in history how many times it was also 20 degrees hotter, what if it was for 5 years running 20 degrees higher than expected 100 years ago? It's similar rubbish to where you get a photo of an area covered in ice and another of it not yet they were both taken at different times of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think I'll wait till the temperature here (in Ireland) rises another 9 or 10 degrees before worrying about it. At least the place will be a bit warmer then and I'll be able to think of something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nidom

I don't know what to believe anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Climate change deniers don't think long term so nothing to see here. We're going down with the ship I'm afraid

I think on a ship is the best place to be.

Advertisement