Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What kind of plane is on this watch?

Options
  • 23-11-2016 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like a Victor K2, but the watch is Russian military.

4a6387720a099e2d2b95dd3879f03a02.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

The net tells me the watch model itself is a Vostok Komanderskie, but that doesn't tell us the model of aircraft. It looks reminiscent of an IL76, though the engine config is wrong for it.

Info on watch from http://clicktempus.com/a-toast-to-russian-watches/
    Vostok is probably the best known of all the Russian watch brands. Based in Chistopol, Vostok were known for making military watches for the Red Army during the Cold War. Their designs are credited with being durable, strong and long-lasting. Vostok means “east” in Russian – so called because the factory was set up in Tatarstan, well to the east of Moscow. You just can’t spend a lot of money on this type of watch. They were originally made in a wide variety of military styles for your average Russian soldier. For a mechanical watch they are extremely economically priced at around $51.00. This particular model is called the Komandirskie. It runs on a 2414A mechanical movement with 17 precision jewels. It features a red sweep seconds hand with calendar and a bi-directional rotating timing bezel with markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Handley Page Victor Bomber

bty11victor-0010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yep looked like a Victor to me too, but what's it doing on a Russian watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

hmmm wrote: »
    Yep looked like a Victor to me too, but what's it doing on a Russian watch?

Reminder to ground forces - if you see one of these coming, it's over?

Found this description - I think they just made a mistake, that's not a Tu160. I wonder did they ever issue any to the military? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOAxAaFDvE
    Symbols on the clock-face:

In the upper part of the black watch face, at the twelve o’clock mark, there is an eight-pointed windrose – the symbol of determination in achieving the goals and the saving Star of Hope for a better future.

Over the axis of the hands there is a front silhouette of the flying strategic missile carrier Tu-160 “White Swan” (NATO reporting name is “Blackjack”).

Under the axis there is a stylized image of earth – a luminous graticule of navigation instruments.

At the bottom of the emblem, over the six-hour point there are the trademark “Komandirskie” and the nameplate of the watch factory “Vostok”. Under the point – an inscription: “Made in Russia”.

The time points are made in the form of flat golden plates attached to the surface of the face.

Tu-160 is a supersonic strategic bomber-missile carrier with variable wing sweep. It is the biggest supersonic aircraft in the history of aviation, and the heaviest combat plain in the world. It has the heaviest maximum take-off mass among bombers. The pilots have nicknamed it “White Swan”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smurfjed wrote: »
    Handley Page Victor Bomber

Wow. On the ball with that spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I really want one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I really want one

A Victor or the watch.... For me, it'd have to be the Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

A Victor or the watch.... For me, it'd have to be the Victor

I mean if you want to get me a Victor for Christmas I won't complain...:D

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I really want one
    From the link in the video, about $50 including international shipping: http://russian-sales.com/collection/komandirskie/vostok-komandirskie-439499-long-range-aviation/
    Ask Santy nicely :D

• Advertisement

There's a couple on Ebay too - no idea of reliability of sellers however
    Vostok Komandirskie 819499

Would still love to know how a British bomber ended up on a watch made by a company known for making Russian military watches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Has anyone seen or read up on this in relation to the Victor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjPu6DPzWU

Trouser filling moment I would say but at least it all ended happily!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 normcc

Hi everyone. My wife bought me a Vostok Komandirskie for Valentines day, (today). I was a RAF Navigator for 20 years and during that time I mainly flew in Vulcans and Victors, having flown 3 tours, about 9 years on Victors. The watch depicted is definitely a Victor 2 which is why I received one today! By the way, those that would like a Real Victor, if you contact RAF Marham in Norfolk, they are getting rid of their Gate Guard an ex Victor 2 Tanker, FREE to anyone that can take it apart, transport it and then after putting it back together, looking after it! (You will have to show that you have the money, (a few million quid might do,) and the means to do it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

It looks reminiscent of an IL76, though the engine config is wrong for it.

No way does it look like an IL76, the 76 is a high wing! RAF Victor is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

To be super picky

Handley Page Victor B.2R as it has the strange aerodynamic pods on the wing not found on others and lacks the refueling pods found on the K2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It would have to be virtually indestructible to survive the attention of the average Russian soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The watch or the Victor :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A Victor looks like it has been machined out of a giant billet of aluminium. No weight saving there, back in them days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To be super picky

Handley Page Victor B.2R as it has the strange aerodynamic pods on the wing not found on others and lacks the refueling pods found on the K2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-shock_body

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Victor
    A total of 21 B.2 aircraft were upgraded to the B.2R standard with Conway RCo.17 engines (20,600 lbf or 92 kN thrust) and facilities to carry a Blue Steel stand-off nuclear missile. Their wings were modified to incorporate two "speed pods" or "Küchemann carrots". These were anti-shock bodies; bulged fairings that reduced wave drag at transonic speeds (see area rule), which were also used as a convenient place to house chaff dispensers.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement