Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny or Wexford

Options
  • 24-09-2016 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Just wondered which has better weather? Considering relocating to either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Just wondered which has better weather? Considering relocating to either.

Kilkenny is warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. Sunshine and rain would be similar enough between the two although Wexford would be slightly sunnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Only seen this thread now...

The above is correct. Kilkenny is affected by the bowl shape of the county with hills and mountains around the edge of the county with the central part hollow and somewhere over 300ft asl, compared to the hill around that go over 1,000ft.
    So the centre of the county has one of the most continental climates in the country, the hills to east often in summer kill off showers so summers are generally quite good and warm, yes there are exceptions.
    Then in winter the same effect caused by the hills causes the central hollow of the county to get some of the lowest temperatures in winter.
    I live on the hills and the summers are warm but we don't get the same amount of frost as lower down - where they have a bigger temperature range.

Wexford is a coastal county so more affected by the sea and a lower range of temperature.

Met Eireann:
    Kilkenny
    The highest air temperature ever recorded in Ireland (33.3 degrees Celsius) was at Kilkenny Castle on 26 June 1887.
    The maximum daily rainfall recorded at Kilkenny station was 66.4 mm on 17 July 1983.
    The highest wind gust, 77 knots (from a South-west direction i.e. 200 degrees), was recorded on 12 January 1974.
    The maximum daily sunshine was 16.3 hours on 18 June 1978.
    The warmest and sunniest month on record at Kilkenny was August 1995 with a total of 274.9 hours sunshine and very high temperatures throughout. The maximum temperature recorded was 30.8 degrees Celsius on 2 August 1995.

Wexford
    For some reason, Met Eireann put no info up for Wexford. I think they should have opened a new station in Kilkenny as we have interesting weather here in my opinion. Oak Park in Carlow won't be breaking records.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It's not exactly like the difference between Barcelona and Helsinki.

Quality of schools, house prices, transport links, broadband services...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

cml387 wrote: »
    It's not exactly like the difference between Barcelona and Helsinki.

Quality of schools, house prices, transport links, broadband services...?

Oh that's funny, you are right of course. What do you mean about transport links and BB services?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Oh that's funny, you are right of course. What do you mean about transport links and BB services?
    Well it's just that I'd use those criteria for selecting an area above what the differences are in weather between two adjacent (nearly) counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Ah I see, are the transport links better in Wexford, also BB?

Advertisement