Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd disagree myself. It's becoming more and more dumbed-down and filled with unnecessary bloatware that the entire thing is becoming more of a hindrance than an environment for getting things done.

All this "fun stuff" is grand for a Home version but for productivity/work purposes it really should be opt-in rather than having to fight with it every time a new version is pushed at you.

Exactly, they must think everyone wants to play with their computer. The updates situation is getting ridiculous at this stage, one laptop I had took no less than 23 hours to install updates only to be met with the dreaded "incompatible hardware" message whereby it then decided to roll back with the warning "this might take some time". I didn't take long as I yanked out the battery and restored it back to W7 using an image from an external HDD. Thank God W7 backup works:)
    I trialled W10 years ago when it was just a picture of a fish, I was very impressed with its speed and general feeling of lightness.....Look at it now, it's more like Vista than any other version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jca wrote: »
    Exactly, they must think everyone wants to play with their computer. The updates situation is getting ridiculous at this stage, one laptop I had took no less than 23 hours to install updates only to be met with the dreaded "incompatible hardware" message whereby it then decided to roll back with the warning "this might take some time". I didn't take long as I yanked out the battery and restored it back to W7 using an image from an external HDD. Thank God W7 backup works:)
    I trialled W10 years ago when it was just a picture of a fish, I was very impressed with its speed and general feeling of lightness.....Look at it now, it's more like Vista than any other version.

Honestly, despite the fact that I've been using Windows since the 3.1/DOS days, despite the fact that I've stuck with it's missteps like ME, Vista and 8, I really don't like the way 10 is going. It's not an OS for productivity users, it's a completely simplified and junk-filled playground that's aimed at the millenial generation who are happy to be told what they need and how they should use it.

At this stage, I'm on the lookout for a Linux-based setup that can replace my home Domain (AD/GPO/Roaming Profiles/DHCP etc) because I'm just getting tired of the instability and unnecessary work caused every time the latest "update" is forced onto my machines.

I can see corporates (who have always been MS's bread and butter and even more so now that PC sales are steadily declining) sticking with 7/8.1 till it goes beyond extended support and then changing over to something else because as annoying as it is for us, this sort of nonsense is a lot more serious in a mission-critical environment. The issue there though may be that the new Kabylake chipsets are 10-only from what I've read (no more support for earlier Windows versions). That may force some hands sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd disagree myself. It's becoming more and more dumbed-down and filled with unnecessary bloatware that the entire thing is becoming more of a hindrance than an environment for getting things done.

All this "fun stuff" is grand for a Home version but for productivity/work purposes it really should be opt-in rather than having to fight with it every time a new version is pushed at you.

What is it in this new version that stops you getting stuff done? 3D Paint - Kinda cool I guess, not something I can see myself using though so I just don't use it. The gaming stuff - I can see that being useful for some gamers, I probably won't use it myself in which case I just won't use it. My People - Without seeing how it works it's hard to say but I can actually see it being useful especially if they can get it to work with other non-microsoft messaging services. Once again though, if you don't want to use it just don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What is it in this new version that stops you getting stuff done? 3D Paint - Kinda cool I guess, not something I can see myself using though so I just don't use it. The gaming stuff - I can see that being useful for some gamers, I probably won't use it myself in which case I just won't use it. My People - Without seeing how it works it's hard to say but I can actually see it being useful especially if they can get it to work with other non-microsoft messaging services. Once again though, if you don't want to use it just don't use it.

Unfortunately all these new features are coming at the expense of quality control and with the removal in fact of any real control over your own system - from forcing updates and indeed whole new versions down on you (with the problems that brings - just look at the AU feedback) to stripping out more and more of the UI in favour of things like a oversized, less efficient Start menu with guady tiles, and gradually cutting down the control panel in favour of more apps that don't work nearly as well, and the entire thing is a mess from a support perspective.

But you're right, the choice is there and I've made it.. I gave it a decent chance but I prefer my OS to be an OS that I can control and get things done on easily, rather than a wrapper for more and more bloatware so I've gone back to 8.1 with a decent start menu for now.
    MS are trying to create a walled garden and sell services from it in the vein of Apple, but on an environment whose strength has traditionally been in its diversity and customisation (and I don't mean the ability to choose different colours for the menu bars!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Most of that stuff seems to be apps as well, pretty easy to uninstall if you want. The people integration probably can't be uninstalled, but as you say, it doesn't have to be used.

As for business abandoning Windows 10 and sticking with 8, I really can't see it. Windows 10 is running at twice the adoption rate of windows 8, and it hit 200 million business machines faster than Windows 7. That's not to predict anything into the future, but surely that would suggest that companies are okay with Windows 10 direction?

For me, Windows 10 has been great, and I'd recommend it for anyone with a recent machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

CatInABox wrote: »
    Most of that stuff seems to be apps as well, pretty easy to uninstall if you want. The people integration probably can't be uninstalled, but as you say, it doesn't have to be used.

As for business abandoning Windows 10 and sticking with 8, I really can't see it. Windows 10 is running at twice the adoption rate of windows 8, and it hit 200 million business machines faster than Windows 7. That's not to predict anything into the future, but surely that would suggest that companies are okay with Windows 10 direction?

For me, Windows 10 has been great, and I'd recommend it for anyone with a recent machine.

Win8 was a pig, so that's not surprising and Win7 had to fight the WinXP behemoth, so not a totally fair comparison.

However I would suspect that of the 200 million business machines that have had Win10 loaded onto them, most of them have been rolled back, but M$FT wouldn't want to acknowledge that in their figures. :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Win8 was a pig, so that's not surprising and Win7 had to fight the WinXP behemoth, so not a totally fair comparison.

However I would suspect that of the 200 million business machines that have had Win10 loaded onto them, most of them have been rolled back, but M$FT wouldn't want to acknowledge that in their figures. :eek:

I'll put my hands up here, I made a mistake when reading it, it wasn't referring to business machines at the time, just adoption in general, sorry!

Even so, it's a third party report, not Microsoft funded. In 2015, 40% of IT professionals surveyed said they'd begin rolling out Windows 10 in the first year, and in 2016, 38% reported that they have indeed started rolling it out (52%) or are still testing it (48%). Of those implementing it, almost 70% expect to have Windows 10 on more than half of their laptops in the next year, and nearly as many (63%) said it was the plan for desktops as well.

To me, that doesn't sound like it's being abandoned or "rolled back".

You can read the report herehttps://www.spiceworks.com/it-articles/windows-10-adoption/, some of which I've copied and pasted above.

Interesting to note as well, satisfaction with Windows 10 was 85%, bested only by Windows 7.

Could this be the answer to my Windows 10 woes? It was added in the Anniversary Update.

If this works I might actually look at using 10 again, since it was the forced updating of drivers that really bugged me.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

I just tried it on a clean Anniversary Update build. Doesn't work. Seems to be the same as it always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

An update on my broadband situation & Windows 10.

I have bought a new 4G modem online today from Meteor which will give me a bigger allowance on my PAYG broadband. I will be getting an allowance of 50GB on the 4G broadband for €30 every 180 days all without signing up for a contract. I'm not sure about what speed it will give me after I bought it. But I'm sure that will allow me to download the cumulative updates for Windows 10 much quicker now than on my current 3G connection. My current allowance for 3G is at a maximum of 7.5GB for €20 a month which I feel is a pure waste of money as it doesn't go far enough to use the stuff I need. I have had trouble with my current data allowance as I have issues of using too much bandwidth on it. That had lead me to the situation on a number of occasions to have all of my allowance used up within just one day after I had purchased a new monthly pass.

It make a huge difference for me now as I have a lot of software to download like the desktop version of Microsoft Office for Business & the remainder of my Adobe Creative Cloud student subscription that I currently use for college. I didn't want to have the situation of having to download Microsoft Office 2016 on the 3G because it takes far too long for me to have it on the desktop. The download size of Office is between 3.5 & 4GB. That would take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to download the entire software onto the Desktop. I downloaded Windows 10 for free twice in my lifetime & they took me about 3 hours each time.

I also currently use the broadband for downloading games on Steam & Wildtangent Games as well. I have a lot of game licenses to download onto my hard drive from those two places. Having the facility to download them with the new 4G stick will be very handy now for my needs.

Let me say this if you want to try & use broadband with the OS. Try & use it with high speed 4G broadband & a high data allowance at a minimum to download the cumulative upates without any major trouble for yourself along the way. I feel using 3G on it right now is no longer fit for purpose & should be stopped being used whenever possible. Try to use a service that will give you the best value for what you need.

• Advertisement

I have bought a new 4G modem online today from Meteor which will give me a bigger allowance on my PAYG broadband. I will be getting an allowance of 50GB on the 4G broadband for €30 every 180 days all without signing up for a contract. I'm not sure about what speed it will give me after I bought it. But I'm sure that will allow me to download the cumulative updates for Windows 10 much quicker now than on my current 3G connection. My current allowance for 3G is at a maximum of 7.5GB for €20 a month which I feel is a pure waste of money as it doesn't go far enough to use the stuff I need. I have had trouble with my current data allowance as I have issues of using too much bandwidth on it. That had lead me to the situation on a number of occasions to have all of my allowance used up within just one day after I had purchased a new monthly pass.

It make a huge difference for me now as I have a lot of software to download like the desktop version of Microsoft Office for Business & the remainder of my Adobe Creative Cloud student subscription that I currently use for college. I didn't want to have the situation of having to download Microsoft Office 2016 on the 3G because it takes far too long for me to have it on the desktop. The download size of Office is between 3.5 & 4GB. That would take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours to download the entire software onto the Desktop. I downloaded Windows 10 for free twice in my lifetime & they took me about 3 hours each time.

I also currently use the broadband for downloading games on Steam & Wildtangent Games as well. I have a lot of game licenses to download onto my hard drive from those two places. Having the facility to download them with the new 4G stick will be very handy now for my needs.

Let me say this if you want to try & use broadband with the OS. Try & use it with high speed 4G broadband & a high data allowance at a minimum to download the cumulative upates without any major trouble for yourself along the way. I feel using 3G on it right now is no longer fit for purpose & should be stopped being used whenever possible. Try to use a service that will give you the best value for what you need.

A broadband connection should have a cap of at least 20GB in my opinion, otherwise you spend far too much time worrying about hitting the cap too early in the month, and either having to pay overages, or spending the rest of the month with speeds like dial-up.

The good news for windows update is that they are changing how they are delivered in the next few months. It's currently being trialled on the Windows Insider builds, the Unified Update Platform will mean that Windows 10 will only download the files necessary for your PC, which will apparently result in a reduction in size of 35% when going from major release to major release.

You can read more about it here.

It seems that after decades of only making changes to the front end, Microsoft are really trying to sort out and update the framework of their platform. This kind of stuff should really have been done years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It seems that after decades of only making changes to the front end, Microsoft are really trying to sort out and update the framework of their platform. This kind of stuff should really have been done years ago.

I really hope you're taking the piss there. It's a ridiculous comment.

I really hope you're taking the piss there. It's a ridiculous comment.

Hyperbole, more so, and definitely not decades.

In my opinion though, there's been more under the hood changes in Windows 10 than there was in the time of Windows 8, Windows 7, and arguably Windows Vista.

EDIT: I'm leaving out Windows RT, which was as fundamental an under the hood change as you could get.

Hyperbole, more so, and definitely not decades.

In my opinion though, there's been more under the hood changes in Windows 10 than there was in the time of Windows 8, Windows 7, and arguably Windows Vista.

EDIT: I'm leaving out Windows RT, which was as fundamental an under the hood change as you could get.

Just off the top of my head. Search (sure it was there in Windows XP but it was crap), 64bit (once again there was technically a version of XP that was 64bit but it had boatloads of problems and was actually windows server with an XP skin on it), massive security improvements such as ASLR and MSE which is now part of defender, better window management, stability improvements (e.g. if a driver crashes it's a lot less likely to take your computer with it, SSD related features like TRIM. All of which I'd consider way more important than reducing the size of updates and that's only the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Most people I know have had decent broadband for the past 5ish years where caps haven't really been a big problem for them. And if it was it was usually streaming/downloading movies, TV shows and games that was eating into their allowance. Saving a few hundred MBs of Windows Updates wouldn't have helped much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

you can go to a library use free wifi ,download updates and apps free .you can delay updates in windows 10 by switching off the windows update service,
    turn it on again when you are in the library.

Most people I know have had decent broadband for the past 5ish years where caps haven't really been a big problem for them. And if it was it was usually streaming/downloading movies, TV shows and games that was eating into their allowance. Saving a few hundred MBs of Windows Updates wouldn't have helped much.
    I've seen a lot of situations recently where a network of Windows 10 machines saturates the internet connection when downloading updates. In some cases we had to implement traffic shaping on the firewall to reduce the impact. So I think the reduction of update size will be of benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dublinman1990 doesnt have broadband is the problem. Its midband. Its not really suitable for full time use. Sometimes its the only option but often its used as a cheaper substitute.

Karsini shouldnt the peer to peer service resolve that, or is that wholly ineffective?

Just off the top of my head. Search (sure it was there in Windows XP but it was crap), 64bit (once again there was technically a version of XP that was 64bit but it had boatloads of problems and was actually windows server with an XP skin on it), massive security improvements such as ASLR and MSE which is now part of defender, better window management, stability improvements (e.g. if a driver crashes it's a lot less likely to take your computer with it, SSD related features like TRIM. All of which I'd consider way more important than reducing the size of updates and that's only the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Alright, alright, I'll put my hand up there, I was mistaken. :D

I suppose instead, I'm impressed with how Microsoft are sorting out problems that have been annoying people for multiple generations of Windows, and are doing so at a fairly good pace. Stuff like the scaling of old applications, the command line improvements, Linux on Windows, UWP development, project Centennial, and virtual desktops are all improvements to how people can use/work with Windows.

I know that some people aren't mad about some features, but I find most of them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Karsini wrote: »
    I just tried it on a clean Anniversary Update build. Doesn't work. Seems to be the same as it always is.

Have you tried the free O&O shutup 10

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

More control over your operating system
    Adapt your security settings
    Protect your privacy
    Control location services
    Control Windows Updates
    Do not pass on your user data and diagnostics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I just noticed my data allowance wasnt running low, I think my last 20euro gave me 15gb instead of the usual 7.5gb even tho Im still using the same 3g usb modem. and the 30euro for 50gb is awesome, I wonder why meteor havent made this news/promoted it, I was about to get a bill pay plan tomorrow

• Advertisement

I just noticed my data allowance wasnt running low, I think my last 20euro gave me 15gb instead of the usual 7.5gb even tho Im still using the same 3g usb modem. and the 30euro for 50gb is awesome, I wonder why meteor havent made this news/promoted it, I was about to get a bill pay plan tomorrow

Awesome? 50 gig wouldn't last a day in my house. Oct, 1.2 terabytes total usage. Why do people insist on calling midband broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

jca wrote: »
    Awesome? 50 gig wouldn't last a day in my house. Oct, 1.2 terabytes total usage. Why do people insist on calling midband broadband?
    well I dont live in your house and dont need that much bandwidth, 50gb for 30euro with no contract is awesome compared to 7.5gb for 20euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

My IdeaPad Z500 is now back on Windows 8.1 - fully legit. It was briefly put back on Windows 8 from its recovery partition, main reason for upgrading to 8.1 was that Microsoft security upgrades for Windows 8 kept on failing.
    On the plus side, I did'nt have to re - Activate Windows either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

well I dont live in your house and dont need that much bandwidth, 50gb for 30euro with no contract is awesome compared to 7.5gb for 20euro

Yeah me neither. 50gb is plenty for all I need for my laptop as I'm happy with that already.

I had a look at a Irish comparison site broadband recently for the fibre broadband. I didn't want to have the hassle of paying for it via direct debit either as I'm in college 4 days a week so having this option of an enhanced pass from Meteor is a handy one.

Yeah me neither. 50gb is plenty for all I need for my laptop as I'm happy with that already.

I had a look at a Irish comparison site broadband recently for the fibre broadband. I didn't want to have the hassle of paying for it via direct debit either as I'm in college 4 days a week so having this option of an enhanced pass from Meteor is a handy one.

My mistake (or should I say "my bad" to be cool) I didn't realise I was dealing with arrested adolescents who can't keep enough money in the bank to pay their bills. Call it what you like but it's midband you're using, not broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i'm using a xp laptop (don't snigger)

i'm thinking of getting a new laptop with windows 10.. is there a steep learning curve??

or is it basically the same set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

philstar wrote: »
    i'm using a xp laptop (don't snigger)

i'm thinking of getting a new laptop with windows 10.. is there a steep learning curve??

or is it basically the same set up?

No I don't think there's that much of a jump. It's pretty straight forward to use to be honest.

I do think you need to make the jump asap however as XP has long been discontinued and is probably not secure to use anymore (when connected to the web)

If you have 37mins to spare, you could check out atutorial video which slowly goes through Windows 10 with beginners in mind:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi All,

I'm just bought a new rig with windows 10 - dual monitor display.

First, I cannot seem to make the left monitor the primary, but more important, when I save a file to desktop, the files all sit on top of each other in top left of screen regardless iof another icon is there...

Very annoying!

Any ideas?

See video below. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DF3iY9N3M&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

sticker wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm just bought a new rig with windows 10 - dual monitor display.

First, I cannot seem to make the left monitor the primary, but more important, when I save a file to desktop, the files all sit on top of each other in top left of screen regardless iof another icon is there...

Very annoying!

Any ideas?

See video below. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DF3iY9N3M&feature=youtu.be

Did you update the graphics diver, from the graphics card and the monitors probably have drivers you can install too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Did you update the graphics diver, from the graphics card and the monitors probably have drivers you can install too

Se below - Very Confusing. Dell driver app will not let me proceed and diffrent Monitors listed!

EDIT - I've just seen the Drivers cannbe installed : NONE. I wonder why a Generic monitor is appearing in Device Manager?

GFX card is up to date....

monitor.jpg

Advertisement