Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi's Boyle's gin

• 29-10-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi!
    Has anybody tried this new gin produced by Blackwater Distillery for Aldi?
    Have tried Aldi rathmines & Terenure but neither had it:(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bit of chat about it in the gin gin gin thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

maybe worth its own thread though ? its the first craft gin i bought. only ever had gordons / bombay saphire / aldi regular ldg and lidl gin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Think it's hitting most ALDIs today.

I'll try it out. I tried the Blackwater Strawberry last night and was disappointed. I expected it to be more fruity, like Brockmans. But it had a tangy aftertaste that reminded me of a cheap gin. Although it improved as I continued to drink ;)

I'll try it out. I tried the Blackwater Strawberry last night and was disappointed. I expected it to be more fruity, like Brockmans. But it had a tangy aftertaste that reminded me of a cheap gin. Although it improved as I continued to drink ;)

The suggested garnish of strawberry, basil and black pepper with tonic, really does work with the Wexford Strawberry Gin. More than the sum of its parts! It's almost like a cocktail.

The suggested garnish of strawberry, basil and black pepper with tonic, really does work with the Wexford Strawberry Gin. More than the sum of its parts! It's almost like a cocktail.

That's exactly how I had it.

It just wasn't smooth enough for me. I'll go back to my GVine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Got a bottle yesterday. Excellent quality gin.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Got a bottle yesterday. Excellent quality gin.

The Boyles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The Boyles?

Yep. Aldi in Mulhuddart. Clonee had sold out.

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yep. Aldi in Mulhuddart. Clonee had sold out.

Picked up a bottle in ALDI on the Belgard Rd a couple of hours ago, I'll give it a taste shortly and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What's the recommended garnish with the Boyle's gin? Also standard tonic I presume? (I'm talking about GnT of course here)

• Advertisement

Ok. Am sitting drinking a Boyles gin with Schweppes slimline, heres my thoughts.

Loveky bottle. Sounds mad but for example, Drumshanbo, the bottle is just a tad too big for one hand and it makes pouring awkward!

So, lovely bottle. Don't like the lid. I'm not a fan of cork lids, I had trouble taking it out and worse, getting it back in. However, a minor detail.

I used strawberries, blueberries, a basil leaf and some cracked black pepper, my usual garnish.

First taste I was very pleasantly surprised. Reminded me most closely of Dingle. You can taste the gin, the botanics don't overpower, nor is there any sharp or unpleasant aftertaste. In fact, very moreish.

A few more sips and I'm hooked! For 25 quid a bottle it's a very nice gin. My personal favourites are GVine, Mare, Monkey 47 and Brockmans. I happily dabble in less pricey offerings such as Dingle, Bombay Sapphire East and Martin Miller.

Ive tried many of the mid range pricey offerings like Drumshanbo, Berthas Revenge, Daffys etc and I find they're just not worth the price tag.

Boyles is the best bang for buck I've tasted in a long time.

I recommend!

Regarding the garnish question : we like pink grapefruit or lemon but whatever works for you is fine by us.

Regarding the corks: We are changing to a slimmer cork asap. Not very happy as we sourced the corks from the bottle manufacturer. Thought they might know how big their bottle opening is!

Regarding the garnish question : we like pink grapefruit or lemon but whatever works for you is fine by us.

Regarding the corks: We are changing to a slimmer cork asap. Not very happy as we sourced the corks from the bottle manufacturer. Thought they might know how big their bottle opening is!

Now that I've removed and replaced it a few times, ahem...... It seems to be fine!

I'll just add a very slight negative that it's only 40% proof, meaning I've to drink more for a nice buzz, mind you, at that price.......

Just to add to my earlier comments, often difficult to tell til you've drank a few, but it's very smooth. Gets more palatable as I drink it! This bottle might not last a week.

Really glad you're enjoying it - that's what it's all about!

The 40% is to do with the price point what with duty calculated on abv.

Another positive, very smooth come down.

We drank about half the bottle between 2 over us over a couple of hours then had a steak dinner and watched a horror movie. Both of us feel totally grand now, no lingering woes.

It's a pity I don't have an ALDI very close by, I'll have to be going in buying 2-3 bottles at a time ;)

^^
    That's all music to my eyes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

So I couldnt find this in my local Aldi (Sandyford) but am keen to track down a bottle. Anyone know an Aldi that has stock in that general area? Or indeed if its due to be restocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

So I couldnt find this in my local Aldi (Sandyford) but am keen to track down a bottle. Anyone know an Aldi that has stock in that general area? Or indeed if its due to be restocked?

Sallynoggin were out of it about 7pm last night. That'll teach me for being lazy and not popping down earlier. I usually drink Bombay sapphire so looking forward to give this a go.

There's plenty more on the way. Everywhere should be fully stocked by the weekend.

It's flying off the shelves!

There's plenty more on the way. Everywhere should be fully stocked by the weekend.

It's flying off the shelves!

Is it only ALDIs have it?

Any other stockists, now or in the pipeline?

• Advertisement

Is it only ALDIs have it?

Any other stockists, now or in the pipeline?

Just Aldi for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Oliver Cromwell Dry Gin, £9.65 from Aldi
    The critics’ favourite comes in a dark green bottle, with italicised label and royal crest, which looks an awful lot like Gordon’s. It’s refreshingly crisp, lemony and smooth – as every good gin should be – and unbeatable on price. But, for me, the flavours are too subtle and my drink tastes more of tonic than gin. “The Aldi gin has been consistently good,” says Maxwell, “but it’s competing in a vibrant marketplace.” 3/5

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10013191/At-this-price-gins-a-real-tonic.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the Old Hopkings over here (for obvious naming reasons) but is a totally different product to the thread

So I was back in my Local Aldi last night (prawn related emergency) and still no joy.

Should it be stocked on the all the spirits are usually kept or should I be looking for some sort of special stand?

So I was back in my Local Aldi last night (prawn related emergency) and still no joy.

Should it be stocked on the all the spirits are usually kept or should I be looking for some sort of special stand?

It was right next to the regular ALDI green bottle gin when I got it in Tallaght.

Thanks :) Yeah I saw the regular green bottles of Gin but no sign of Boyles beside it as of yet :(

Might try the Clondalkin one later is its (kinda) on my way home from work.

Thanks :) Yeah I saw the regular green bottles of Gin but no sign of Boyles beside it as of yet :(

Might try the Clondalkin one later is its (kinda) on my way home from work.

It was Belgard Road I got it in - not sure if theres another one in Tallaght.

Its so nice, im a bit gutted it isnt getting a more general release for those of us who dont have a handy ALDI.

It was Belgard Road I got it in - not sure if theres another one in Tallaght.

Its so nice, im a bit gutted it isnt getting a more general release for those of us who dont have a handy ALDI.

LOL, you'll just have to buy a few bottles at a time :p

I'm just randomly picking out any Aldis that are in anyway handyish for me. If Clondalkin is unsuccessful, I'll maybe try Tallaght tomorrow, although thats more of a detour.

LOL, you'll just have to buy a few bottles at a time :p

Yeah theyll be like - theres yer woman who buys the trolley of gin every week month ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Have had someone check in Roscommon store every day this week with no luck.

I don't know if that means it's a town of lushes or if they haven't got much in.

Advertisement