Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

• 31-10-2016 8:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The last thread was steaming ahead to 10,000 posts, so it's time to leave it rest.

Usual rules apply, namely no blog pimping, don't quote pictures, yadda yadda yadda.

Bon appetit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was a lazy day for the Billys. Got a takeaway from Karma Thai in Balbriggan which was to play-notch as usual. Beef Pad Kra Prao (Thai basil & chilli) for myself, Duck Pattaya for Mrs B & a yellow curry with chicken for the kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was a lazy day here at Dizzy Heights too :)

We had the daughters and their partners here and we got a huge takeaway from Indie Spice in Swords.
    Murgh Shaslick, chicken balti, chicken bhuna, chicken tikka chilli masala and north Indian garlic chilli chicken. Onion bhajis, naans and mushroom rice. It was fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

It was definitely a take away night, thai from diep. Rendang and massamam beef with coconut rice for both. Could eat it again today, so tasty

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Having a roast chicken for dinner tonight, all prepped from this morning.

But the word on the street tomorrow will be that those weirdo's in number 4 eat frog soup. Making a humongous pot of custard now, added green food colouring. Dropping the packs of sweets in it later for the callers, and have a few plastic fingers, eyeballs and frogs in there too as boobie prizes. If the kids don't want to go for the jackpot with the green broth, there's bags of popcorn as back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Last night I had slow cooked lamb saag with homemade coriander and garlic naan and a huge bowl of raita to dip into.

Better half had shop bought milanos margharita topped with extra tomatoes, black olives,red onion, basil and olive oil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

not in mood for cooking so Ms Brinty is collecting me a salad from Chopped on her way home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Last night I had slow cooked lamb saag with homemade coriander and garlic naan and a huge bowl of raita to dip into.

Better half had shop bought milanos margharita topped with extra tomatoes, black olives,red onion, basil and olive oil

Have nothing to contribute, just in snooping for some inspiration but your username made me giggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Duck breast, first pan fried then finished in the oven, with onion mash and some veg. :) Nice for a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Leftover roast chicken korma, threw some cauliflower and spinach in there too. Now having myself a little treat of surimi :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I haven't been cooking (or eating) properly for weeks due to circumstance, so today I took advantage of some downtime and made a big lasagne. Packed it full of vegetables (to the point where I had to add loads of salt to balance out the sweetness, oops!) and served with some garlic bread. It definitely hit the spot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I can tell you what i'll be having for the next month anyway - left over sweets since I got no callers. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

"Leftover". Does such a thing exist?

*sucks on his Sherbet Dip Dab*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Ham, pepperoni and chicken pizza for me
    Mrs. Edups had a sweetcorn and pineapple pizza.

Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wish I had the "leftover" thing

Underestimated and had to make two more runs for treats

Tbf first year here in new house so at least forewarned for 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

BuffyBot wrote: »
    "Leftover". Does such a thing exist?

*sucks on his Sherbet Dip Dab*

Mmmmm dip dab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Made a beef curry in the slow cooker on Sunday, and had its leftovers for dinner today, which tasted even better:D

HSjorx.jpg

Just dished it out with lemon rice, and it went down an absolute treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was a pulled-pork joint from SuperValu. And super value it was too. Served with roasties & roasted beets spiced with cumin, coriander & chill flakes.

Tonight is ramen noodle soup with some of the leftover pork, shredded kale, scallions & sugar snaps, shiitake mushrooms, chilli, ginger & lemon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Meatballs with tagliatelle and tomato & basil sauce.

34820hv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Rib eye roast, potato gratin, carrots and lots of broccoli. I also dipped into the kids' Halloween treat bag. Many times. Feel very sick now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Rib eye roast, potato gratin, carrots and lots of broccoli. I also dipped into the kids' Halloween treat bag. Many times. Feel very sick now.

Yuuuuuummmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Some sweet potato pakora from Aldi with mixed salad leaves, onion and tomato, some pearl barley and greek yoghurt dotted with a lot of chipotle sauce.

peanut%20stew_zpsi7ceozyy.jpg

Peanut butter stew. It's the first time I've made it, but it won't be the last. So, so good; hearty, warming, and cheap as chips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made the veggie shepherds pie that everyone was on about in the previous thread - it was really delicious! Recipe here. I'm really glad it's nice because the recipe makes ten servings, so I made four individual pies, cooked one and froze the other three. My husband loved it, too.

I read the comments on the BBC site and took their advice to add some Worcestershire sauce (not vegetarian, I know, but I'm not a vegetarian, so I don't mind) and otherwise I followed it to the letter. The only change I would make for the future would be to double the mushrooms - I love mushrooms and they add a good meaty texture. Lentils run the risk of being a little mushy.

Thanks for the recommendations folks - I am delighted to add another veggie dinner to our repertoire. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

kylith wrote: »

Peanut butter stew. It's the first time I've made it, but it won't be the last. So, so good; hearty, warming, and cheap as chips.

Any recipe?

Any recipe?

It's an American recipe, so bear with the measurements:

Bring 6 cups veg stock (I used half veg, half chicken) to the boil. Add a chopped onion, 2 tbsp minced ginger, 4 cloves minced garlic (I used 6 cos I love garlic). Simmer about 20 minutes. Meanwhile mix .75 of a cup of peanut butter and .5 of a cup of tomato puree/paste in a bowl then add 2 cups of the stock and whisk till combined, then pour that back into the pot and mix in. Simmer about 15 minutes. Add hot sauce/Tabasco and salt pepper to taste. I also minced up 2 anchovy fillets and threw them in because I thought it needed a meaty something. Stir in as much spinach as you like a couple of minutes before serving. Top with chopped peanuts and enjoy happy belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Made the peanut butter stew this evening, though it's more like a soup, no?
    Was awesome either way! Very warming, like a bowl of toasty goodness. Would be great in the snow.
    Though I only had crunchy peanut butter so maybe that's why mine was a bit soupy :pac:

Made the peanut butter stew this evening, though it's more like a soup, no?
    Was awesome either way! Very warming, like a bowl of toasty goodness. Would be great in the snow.
    Though I only had crunchy peanut butter so maybe that's why mine was a bit soupy :pac:

No, it seems that that's what it's like. They call it stew though, and who am I to argue? Was talking to a friend today who said that she'd come across something similar made with chicken, so maybe it shoud be viewed as more of a base.

Glad you liked it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

kylith wrote: »
    No, it seems that that's what it's like. They call it stew though, and who am I to argue? Was talking to a friend today who said that she'd come across something similar made with chicken, so maybe it shoud be viewed as more of a base.

Glad you liked it :D

Gosh there's an idea....adding chicken thighs!! The leftover soup is going to be trialed with that tomorrow I reckon, unless I eat it for breakfast. Which is a very real possibility to be honest :pac:

Gosh there's an idea....adding chicken thighs!! The leftover soup is going to be trialed with that tomorrow I reckon, unless I eat it for breakfast. Which is a very real possibility to be honest :pac:

I chucked some tortellini in with my leftovers tonight. Didn't add much but bulk, I reckon chicken thighs would be just the job and maybe some rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Monday: Pizza with rocket pesto, sundried tomatoes, bbq chicken and pulled ham with mozerealla sticks and sweet potato tots

Tuesday: BBQ chicken, pulled ham and cheese puff pastry sweet potato tots

Wednesday: Mushroom, onion and chorizo puff pastry with grilled halloumi cheese

Thursday: Mushrooms, onions, chorizo pizza with grilled halloumi cheese

Tonight I made beef, broccoli and onion curry made with the goldfish brand paste, with basmati rice. And i made spring rolls for the first time, they were ok.

For dessert, a hot whiskey (blackmills black bush) because im sick :o

Advertisement