Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 2 | The Well [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

So far this is like a Darin Morgan episode of the X Files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Christ, this episode is going to get the haters going!!!! I anticipate this thread will be interesting tomorrow #tiger

tiger-us-open-laugh.gif

OOOOHHHHH, I reckon those pigs are being sent to Neagan' s crew !!

OOOOHHHHH, I reckon those pigs are being sent to Neagan' s crew !!

Yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

After the initial bull crap Zeke when you strip away all the showman stuff seems a really interesting character and it looks like Carol is sort of taking the role Michonne had in the comics , Still can't stand Morgan though

Interesting episode though although it's looking a tad bit predictable I presume Daryl will show up with the Saviours the next time at the kingdom and will be reunited with Morgan and Carol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Thread updated with poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Enjoyed it. Slow pace welcome after season opener. I'm liking the King and the CGI is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Was the king going for his booty call at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The thing is... there's no good reason for episodes like this, or seasons to be laid out this way. I recently rewatched TWD from the start and really it goes wrong in season 3. Although S2 was a slow burner, the writing was still really strong. When watched together, rather than week to week, it's a very strong season. What makes it strong is that there are always multiple threads. While Rick is off doing his thing, Daryl is elsewhere doing something else, etc.

In season 3, they got the governor and someone decided they weren't able to tell a Woodbury story in the same episode as a prison story. That's where I stopped my rewatch. Suddenly you're spending an entire episode away from the main group. When it goes back to the prison, you start where you left off except it feels like all this time has passed and you should be further along. That's fine for a once off or even for once a season. But to constantly flip back and forth leaves every episode feeling stilted. Why couldn't this episode be intercut with our group? It makes no sense and only slows the narrative to do it this way. Again, if this was a one-off, I'd be grand with it. But I know we're going to spend the next few weeks going back and forth and it'll really hold up the actual story progression.

So overall, was this episode good? It was fine. Not amazing, not poor. But was it a good episode for the overall architecture of the season? Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The tiger. Why the tiger?

It seems like I can believe the zombie apocalypse, but not in men with tigers on a leash.

• Advertisement

of course it was good/important to the overall architecture of the season, it introduced one of the most important characters going forward. It also was required to give a somewhat bckground to him and The Kingdom.

Whatever about the episode itself, it was an extremely pivotal introduction to Ezekiel.

The tiger. Why the tiger?

It seems like I can believe the zombie apocalypse, but not in men with tigers on a leash.

I do agree, the tiger being brought into the comic (and now the show) was the wackiest decision from Kirkman. A wolf or two would have been great I think. I think the show has handled it decently enough. Could have been a disastrous decision to bring her into the tv show but I think at the end of the day Kirkmann insisted on it.

Here is an article about it all

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-walking-dead/258863/the-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-on-why-he-created-shiva-the-tiger

The thing is... there's no good reason for episodes like this, or seasons to be laid out this way. I recently rewatched TWD from the start and really it goes wrong in season 3. Although S2 was a slow burner, the writing was still really strong. When watched together, rather than week to week, it's a very strong season. What makes it strong is that there are always multiple threads. While Rick is off doing his thing, Daryl is elsewhere doing something else, etc.

In season 3, they got the governor and someone decided they weren't able to tell a Woodbury story in the same episode as a prison story. That's where I stopped my rewatch. Suddenly you're spending an entire episode away from the main group. When it goes back to the prison, you start where you left off except it feels like all this time has passed and you should be further along. That's fine for a once off or even for once a season. But to constantly flip back and forth leaves every episode feeling stilted. Why couldn't this episode be intercut with our group? It makes no sense and only slows the narrative to do it this way. Again, if this was a one-off, I'd be grand with it. But I know we're going to spend the next few weeks going back and forth and it'll really hold up the actual story progression.

So overall, was this episode good? It was fine. Not amazing, not poor. But was it a good episode for the overall architecture of the season? Absolutely not.

of course it was good/important to the overall architecture of the season, it introduced one of the most important characters going forward. It also was required to give a somewhat bckground to him and The Kingdom.

Whatever about the episode itself, it was an extremely pivotal introduction to Ezekiel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The tiger and King Ezekial was bad in the comics, it'll be even worse in the show IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Looks like they only had 50$ left over for the tiger cgi after last week. Anyone growing tired of the Carol innocent act as soon as she meets new people? It worked in Alexandria but now it's just silly imo.

Poor enough episode overall, voted a 5.

[QUOTE=Hank Scorpio;101517958]Looks like they only had 50$ left over for the tiger cgi after last week. Anyone growing tired of the Carol innocent act as soon as she meets new people? It worked in Alexandria but now it's just silly imo.

Poor enough episode overall, voted a 5.[/QUOTE]

Ah, stop. That CGI was more than impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

After last weeks opener I expected this week to be abit meh.

Disagree. And to clarify, by architecture, I don't mean the character progressions or storylines, I mean how the season is constructed from a film-making point of view; something this show has been very weak on for several years now. Ezekiel obvs needed a strong introduction, sure. But that's not what I'm talking about. This show relies on pacing just as much as it does story, and this sets the stage for another season of flip-flopping between two stories in a manner that progresses both stories far too slowly. On its own, grand. But I'm actually dreading having to sit through one week of Rick & co., the next week Ezekiel & co. ad infinitum. There's no need for the story to be told this way, just like there was no need for a season and a half of switching between the prison and Woodbury. They should be able to tell two stories in one episode without any issue, like how season one would juggle Rick in Atlanta with Shane & co. in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not even halfway in but I'm tapping out on this one. Utter f*cking sh*t.

Now Carol it seems not only channels MacGuyver but also the kid from The Sixth Sense and sees 'dead people...walking around like regular people.' Why not? But I can forgive that as being the usual cliched nonsense the show dishes up. I can even forgive the guys on horseback going around like extras from Final Fantasy VIII.

It's asking a lot but I will try my damnedest to tolerate a bunch of AMERICANS voluntarily deciding to call their community 'THE KINGDOM' and not 'Cape Hope' or 'Spirit of Lincoln' or something you would actually expect AMERICANS to do.

But I'm sorry...

King Ezekiel? And his pet tiger?

F*ck that. F*ck that big time.

This zombie situation has only been happening for what, 2-3 years tops, and yet local Americans have decided to throw their lot in behind a psychopath who prances about like Freddie Mercury in one camp, and a f*cking loon with a pet tiger like something from Life of Pi, speaking like a bad Shakespearean actor on crack?

This show is beyond saving. Total crap. This isn't just jumping the shark, it's jumping it, circling around, jumping it again, and then hopping on the back of a tiger and jumping over it with that.

I gave it a 1 only because I'm not allowed to give it the nul points it deserves.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Now Carol it seems not only channels MacGuyver but also the kid from The Sixth Sense and sees 'dead people...walking around like regular people.' Why not? But I can forgive that as being the usual cliched nonsense the show dishes up. I can even forgive the guys on horseback going around like extras from Final Fantasy VIII.

It's asking a lot but I will try my damnedest to tolerate a bunch of AMERICANS voluntarily deciding to call their community 'THE KINGDOM' and not 'Cape Hope' or 'Spirit of Lincoln' or something you would actually expect AMERICANS to do.

But I'm sorry...

This zombie situation has only been happening for what, 2-3 years tops, and yet local Americans have decided to throw their lot in behind a psychopath who prances about like Freddie Mercury in one camp, and a f*cking loon with a pet tiger like something from Life of Pi, speaking like a bad Shakespearean actor on crack?

This show is beyond saving. Total crap. This isn't just jumping the shark, it's jumping it, circling around, jumping it again, and then hopping on the back of a tiger and jumping over it with that.

I gave it a 1 only because I'm not allowed to give it the nul points it deserves.

This is also roughly around the point I stopped reading the comics because it pretty much gets bland and repetitive as fcuk. So you've more of the same coming if they continue in the same vein as the comics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Actually quite liked that. Taken a shine to the Tiger who has more personality than half the cast Negan left breathing

Disagree. And to clarify, by architecture, I don't mean the character progressions or storylines, I mean how the season is constructed from a film-making point of view; something this show has been very weak on for several years now. Ezekiel obvs needed a strong introduction, sure. But that's not what I'm talking about. This show relies on pacing just as much as it does story, and this sets the stage for another season of flip-flopping between two stories in a manner that progresses both stories far too slowly. On its own, grand. But I'm actually dreading having to sit through one week of Rick & co., the next week Ezekiel & co. ad infinitum. There's no need for the story to be told this way, just like there was no need for a season and a half of switching between the prison and Woodbury. They should be able to tell two stories in one episode without any issue, like how season one would juggle Rick in Atlanta with Shane & co. in the woods.

I get what you are saying, the flip flopping is very irritating and the main factor is the brevity of the episodes. It has been a common theme really since season 4/5 but I do honestly believe this episode and Ezekiel's introduction and background mereited as a stand alone episode. Hopefully after the first couple of episodes (next week
    seems to be heavily focused merely on The Sanctuary but Neagan visits Alexandria also so there is obviously two locations there
    ), the stories will blend in moreso, focusing on a couple of points of view. These type of episodes are character based so that when the heavy action progresses we understand the character.

As I said Ezekiel is one of the main protagonists going forward and needed a strong introduction. They needed to show a few layers to him and get all that sh1t out of the way quickly.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think with 16 episodes, dedicating one to The Kingdom wholly is not as bad as you are claiming.

Hopefully I am right in saying we will get more story locations (Sanctuary, Hilltop, Kingdom, Alexandria) crossing over in an episode from henceforth but I would definitely excuse them for that particular one.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Alexandria population now, post Episode 1. Catching the aftermath and the emotional response in Alexandria will be a difficult task. You don't know whether we will see them just pulling in to Alexandria and explaining what happened or a skip forward of a few days so as that we don't see how they handled teeling the rest of the inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

session at carols gaff anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Carol and Aquaman gon get bizzay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Yeah that really annoys me, drags the whole process out and makes it feel like filler. I'd prefer if they showed a mix of the different communities in each episode, not dedicating a whole episode to each one, it's boring. Although I did enjoy the episode, I really wanted to see the Alexandria aftermath.

But I'm sorry...

Your posts on TWD for the last few seasons have all been on the "The show is now beyond saving" tone though, haven't they to be fair?!!!

Ever think, and this isn't me having a go, just general point, that you have convinced yourself for the last few years how bad it is and you are blinkered by that skepticism just a small bit?

Again, I amn't going down the "why do you watch it if you hate it" route,(a boring approach and just leads to antagonism and thread derailing) we all revel in a bit of perversion when it comes to shows we want to hate, being Irish! We love negativity in this country and revel in a bit of failure as we love a rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

we all revel in a bit of perversion when it comes to shows we want to hate, being Irish! We love negativity in this country and revel in a bit of failure as we love a rant!

Glad you didn't go down the antagonistic approach :pac:

Glad you didn't go down the antagonistic approach :pac:

ah, come on, I wasn't being a d1ck, you can see that by my post! It was a very heavy laden critique of the show and I just feel that skepticism and nitpicking can blindside you sometimes. Anyway, if the poster feels I am antagonising, I will disengage!
    I feel the show showed last week how good it can still be and I think a bit of patience will pay off.

Personally, I could do without the tiger but it's there now and I'll cope with it as this season has potential to be one of the best, given how it is set up now.

I get what you are saying, the flip flopping is very irritating and the main factor is the brevity of the episodes. It has been a common theme really since season 4/5 but I do honestly believe this episode and Ezekiel's introduction and background mereited as a stand alone episode. Hopefully after the first couple of episodes (next week
    seems to be heavily focused merely on The Sanctuary but Neagan visits Alexandria also so there is obviously two locations there
    ), the stories will blend in moreso, focusing on a couple of points of view. These type of episodes are character based so that when the heavy action progresses we understand the character.

As I said Ezekiel is one of the main protagonists going forward and needed a strong introduction. They needed to show a few layers to him and get all that sh1t out of the way quickly.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think with 16 episodes, dedicating one to The Kingdom wholly is not as bad as you are claiming.

Hopefully I am right in saying we will get more story locations (Sanctuary, Hilltop, Kingdom, Alexandria) crossing over in an episode from henceforth but I would definitely excuse them for that particular one.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Alexandria population now, post Episode 1. Catching the aftermath and the emotional response in Alexandria will be a difficult task. You don't know whether we will see them just pulling in to Alexandria and explaining what happened or a skip forward of a few days so as that we don't see how they handled teeling the rest of the inhabitants.

I think we're saying the same thing; as a one-off this was fine, possibly necessary (it didn't feel like a wasted episode like say the episode last season that was just Sasha and Abraham), but if it does kick off that pattern, then it's kicking off something that will prove detrimental overall. I hope you're right abiut how it goes though!

• Advertisement

I think we're saying the same thing; as a one-off this was fine, possibly necessary (it didn't feel like a wasted episode like say the episode last season that was just Sasha and Abraham), but if it does kick off that pattern, then it's kicking off something that will prove detrimental overall. I hope you're right abiut how it goes though!

Yeah, the Sasha and Abraham plot was not good tv for this kind of show. It just served itself in basically layering up the characters of Sasha and Rosita for the future moreso. As it is all insignificant now re Abraham. All his struggling to break up with Rosita and daydreaming of baby making with Sasha, it was a sad way to end his character. But sure thats it.
    He never really got his own story really. And there was so much about him that was worthy of any main character.
    Pity they killed him off, all in all.

Advertisement