Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath -US pace- A&E

Options
  • 28-10-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure to weather this should go in the TV, Reality TV or Documentaries thread.

Yet another Scientology doc this one comes from former member actress Leah Remini.

“Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath,” Remini’s eight-episode docuseries about the Church of Scientology, has been given a premiere date by A&E: Nov. 29 at 10 p.m.
    In the series, Remini meets and interviews former Church members, who all allege abuse and harassment by the Church. A team of former high-ranking Scientology officials helps Remini delve into these stories.

“For too long, this multi-billion-dollar organization bullied victims and journalists to prevent the truth being told,” Remini said. “It is my hope that we shed light on information that makes the world aware of what is really going on and encourages others to speak up so the abuses can be ended forever. I hope that people who have left now feel they have a safe place to go. I hope others who have also experienced abuses will come forward and help us to do something about it.”

Remini left the Church in 2013, after being a member for 30 years. Her departure came a few years after producer Paul Haggis’ high-profile split with the Church and just months after the publication of Lawrence Wright’s “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief,” which served as the basis for Haggis’ HBO documentary of the same name. Remini came out with a memoir, “Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology” in 2015.

“Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” is produced for A&E Network by the Intellectual Property Corporation (IPC). Executive producers for IPC are Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman. Leah Remini serves as executive producer for her No Seriously Productions. Alex Weresow serves as showrunner and executive producer.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/leah-remini-scientology-docuseries-november-1201902763/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I'll give it a look. I love Leah Remini in King of Queens, not convinced we need 8 episodes to show all the interesting things about scientology though.

Can't be any more of a let down than the Louis one

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What might make this one more interesting than anything we have seen before is Leah reported Miscavige's wife as a missing person to the LAPD when she left Scientology in 2013 his wife hasn't been seen in pubic since 2007 that indecent alone seems more interesting than Louis doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I presume by Louis ye are referring to Louis Theroux ?

I'm just wondering how ye have seen this already , I thought it didn't get a release in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

jonski wrote: »

I'm just wondering how ye have seen this already , I thought it didn't get a release in Ireland ?

The internet is a wonderful thing 😉

• Advertisement

Louis Theroux My Scientology Movie is available to rent on Google Play & iTunes in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Yeah , sorry lads , I just worked it out after I posted . I'm looking forward to watching that as I like his stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Yeah , sorry lads , I just worked it out after I posted . I'm looking forward to watching that as I like his stuff .

I have watched a good lot of his docs this one is by far one of the worst

The first episode is out and it's already better than Louis My Scientology Movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Is it on any channel on sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭brevity

She did an AMA on Reddit as well for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just watched a clip of her on Howard Stern from about 10 years ago where they all goofed on her for being a Scientologist.

Interesting to see that she's now left, although I hope she doesn't divulge any secrets that could put her jeopardy.

Episode 2 was really good the whole episode was with and about Mike Rinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first 2 over the weekend. The more it went on, the less weight the Scientology disclaimer carried... They really are a scary organisation.

You'd wonder if Tom Cruise left, would be suffer the same punishments as others who have gone before him?

Great show though, well worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Watched Louis' Scientology offering and it was a little disappointing. I have watched some of Leah's work on the CoS and I like her, so I will give this a go.

Another really strong episode this week.

Next weeks could be something new as Leah interviews Miscavige's father.

A really good episode this week with Miscavige's father being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a good special on during the week where Leah and Mike (and some special guests) answered some viewer questions from a Reddit AMA. It had the potential to be filler, but it was very good. Some really awkward flirting between Leah and Mike though... :)

It's labeled as s01e00 if you are looking for it.

Watching this each week and some of the stuff that went on was just incredible. Is it possible that this church could crumble some day?

Without Miscavige & Cruise it may survive as the peaceful church a lot of the followers believe it to be but without the money those seem to be able to bring in it's hard to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Where is this being shown?

Where is this being shown?

You can find it online. It is shown on US tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Speaking as a God myself, you puny earthlings and you religions always fascinate me, it's amazing to see how you invent stuff just to justify your own existence and try to reach higher level of existence.

What I liked about this particular show is that it's still respectful about the individuals that have chosen this religion, be it ex or current members.

Unlike other shows that label everybody as "idiots" for falling to this particular brand of religion this actually does try to avoid it and concentrates on individuals and how they got onto their individual journey in and out this church without condemning everybody with the same blanked approach.

It's criticism of certain members or practices for me is legit and it's interesting to see how people who were in charge of certain parts of this church are now living their life's and how they deal with the horrors they have inflicted on others.

And while I appreciate A&E being under pressure to display disclaimers every time they come back from Commercial, that really does the church more harm than some of the statements in the actual segment. I get it, the church thinks these people are heretics and every religion has their own ways of dealing with those, but this is just overkill. One disclaimer would have been enough.

In any case, I'm going to watch the rest of the season once it's out as I find it interesting to see this done a little different than the usual shows about this topic. 

This really is the best thing I have watched on Scientology.

Last nights episode had an interview about forcing members of the Sea Org to have abortions if they got pregnant :eek:

I agree with your assessment, however this is also still one of the most respectful documentaries about the church because while it's critical it does not resort to make only fun about the more "out there" elements of this religion.

It's easy to talk about volcanos , magic underwear or [insert whacky ritual/theory of a major religion] without addressing the important question behind it and this is looking at the other stuff rather than just making fun of it.

I'm of the opinion that you can belief in what ever you want as long as you leave me alone with your nonsense and you don't cause harm to others and their rights.

The more I watch of this documentary the less I believe that my position is actually defendable when it comes to the church of scientology.

I know I might become an SP but in my own religion I'm a god so I don't care and I have a son with a big hammer that I can use to strike down my enemies so I'm ready to defend my religion against those who think theirs is better if needed.

What I wonder is if this documentary is actually going to bring some change in the public opinion or in public policy especially in the US. While it's hard to see President Trump's Administration changing the tax exempt status or investigating the claims in more detail, commercial pressure (i.e. People refusing to see a Cruz movie) might be what brings change to how they treat people that leave the church? But than again, it's the US, so the hopes are low.

The church has actually created a website to address the issues raised in this program:

http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/

Shows how good their PR machine is, they got the domain matching the program's name even before A&E could.

I always like to hear both sites and some of the videos/letters on that webpage are quite interesting as it will allow a person to draw their own conclusions and decide for themselves what they want to believe.

What I have enjoyed about this so far is we are seeing a lot more than the usually talking heads.

Leah seems to be able to get more of the those who left the church to open up with their stories and not her's (Yet) where other documentary makers always seemed to just go to Mike Rinder & Marty Rathbun who have both been in this but but it's not about them Mike is more Leah's guide.

I am skeptical about Mike Rinder to be honest so I'm glad to see that he is more a guide to introduce and make some comments to put stories / facts into perspective than being the sole focus.

But indeed this documentary is getting different persons in front of the camera than the usual pool of people, however most of them seam to have left years ago and are not recent leavers, so how much stranger it got since than is another question.

I am skeptical about Mike Rinder to be honest so I'm glad to see that he is more a guide to introduce and make some comments to put stories / facts into perspective than being the sole focus.

What issues do you have with Rinder?
    The church has actually created a website to address the issues raised in this program:

http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/

Shows how good their PR machine is, they got the domain matching the program's name even before A&E could.

Why would A&E bother buying that domain? Followed one of the links on that site to the CoS site and the article about the opening of their office in Merrion Square last year, is more than a little inaccurate.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    What issues do you have with Rinder?

I'm not entirely convinced that he is telling the whole story or truth. He was excellent in his job at the church and did not tell the truth for a long period of time and did several activities that caused harm to others. 

That takes a special type of character to be able to work for such a company / church in such senior position and goes beyond just being a loyal follower.

Now he is using the same energy to go after his ex employer so in my mind there is a question of how much of his claims are actually true and what his motivations are. 

If you work for x years for company A, than leave that company and now trash that company, than I will have issues believing all that you say. That does not mean that I think you are lying all the time, but to a certain extent there is areas where I don't fully trust you. You for years spun the story of company A and now you work for company B or your own company making money going after company A and that makes it more suspicious.

And yes, organized religion is a business that is why I am drawing on my business experience. While working at certain companies I also have spun their story and once I left my tone changed to them. Not as drastically as Mr. Rinder but inside the bubble it's different than outside.

In so far hearing from other is good as it gives some more validity to what he is saying.

Berserker wrote: »
    Why would A&E bother buying that domain? Followed one of the links on that site to the CoS site and the article about the opening of their office in Merrion Square last year, is more than a little inaccurate.

Because it makes sense for them to have the domain so that they can use it as part of their advertising campaign for example. To leave it to the church is kind of strange to me. But that is my opinion.

Advertisement