Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your cover story?

Options
  • 26-10-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

For people who are joining or have joined the PSNI, I thought I would start this thread to see what the best "cover story" job that you tell people that you do is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Alfie12345

Im currently in the middle of the application process for the PSNI but unsure what to tell people what job im applying for (dont want to tell them the truth), has anyone got any ideas for what to tell people?

Ive heard the civil service before but i think its best you tell people its a job that you have at least a little knowledge about. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭D4z

I would use something that I have knowledge within, for example if I worked previous in the scientific sector then I would continue that background on. It means if you ever get asked what you do, you can talk a little about it. Using the 'civil service' card will always open up to the question of "where in the civil service" as when I worked in it that was always the question of the back of that reply.

Neighbours will be harder as it is very difficult to disguise your shifts and the clothes you leave for work in etc (obviously not your uniform, but if you have spent the last 5 years going to work in a suit to then in casual clothes with a backpack)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

can i ask a stupid question? just because the process is very foreign me

are you advised to keep it a secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭C3POPO

I am going to go with "Bovine Proctologist". Hopefully, they will just look at me strangely and move on. And they probably won't want to shake hands either :):)

Yeah ill have yo get thinking D4z. A friend of mine used to say that he working for a shipping company that dealt with international markets so that explained his odd shift hours because he had to go into the office to deal with offices all over the world with different time zones.

Yes livedadream you are advised to keep it to yourself for security

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I personally think the civil service example is not a great idea for two reasons.
    Firstly it kind of is almost code for 'none of your business'. Even before this if someone said they worked in the civil service I always assumed it was something else and more than likely security forces related.

And secondly it is widely known that the civil service are in general cutting jobs not taking on. That could lead to more questions.

Why tell anyone your applying? Only my wife and parents know I'm applying and only told my parents recently.

There's not much hiding you can do from neighbours, people aren't that stupid. If that's going to be an issue it might be worth considering a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Great point by D4z, something you have experience is ideal to deal with the incoming follow up questions. Such a shame that we can't be proud of our role and tell people without fear of reprucussion. NI isn't your typical country tho and it's just the way of things.

Agree with civil service answer tho, tends to be the generic response likely to evoke suspicion more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Tackleberry1

Just tell someone your working with a family member in the office in their own business. .. no one will know them or have any knowledge of it.

Homer01 wrote: »
    I personally think the civil service example is not a great idea for two reasons.
    Firstly it kind of is almost code for 'none of your business'. Even before this if someone said they worked in the civil service I always assumed it was something else and more than likely security forces related.

And secondly it is widely known that the civil service are in general cutting jobs not taking on. That could lead to more questions.

Why tell anyone your applying? Only my wife and parents know I'm applying and only told my parents recently.

There's not much hiding you can do from neighbours, people aren't that stupid. If that's going to be an issue it might be worth considering a move.

What do you plan on telling your friends or your current co-workers that you are leaving for once they get the whole recruiment freeze sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'm not applying, but if I were I'd have to go with 'international man of mystery'.

Grrroooooovy baby!

• Advertisement

Alfie12345 wrote: »
    What do you plan on telling your friends or your current co-workers that you are leaving for once they get the whole recruiment freeze sorted out?

I work with a relatively small team and know them all pretty well. I think I'd be honest with them. Same with close friends.

Anyone else I would say I've gone back to my previous job. It was obscure enough to hold off any questions lol.

However, I don't particularly live in or near an anti police area. I can see how discretion would be essential for those in such communities.

I do like the suggestion of working with family in their own business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollasign

The terrorist threat is still very real be under no illussions people will want to kill you!

Take a read of the sticky threads especially this one. FYI Shield is a moderator on here but also a serving PSNI officer.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057501904/1/#post97221789

Advertisement