Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good off licence in NI

Options
  • 25-10-2016 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

I will be travelling through NI by car shortly, Dublin to Derry and back.

Given the current sterling exchange rate and the proximity to Xmas I thought I'd stop off and stock up on some good gin.

I'm not talking about the likes of Gordon's, Hendricks, Tanqueray that you'd get in Sainsburys, but more like Brockmans, G'Vine, Monkey 47 etc...

So I'll be looking for a good off licence, similar to an O Briens in the republic.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Chill in Derry would be the best off licence we have but it's not quite at O'Briens level. They have a couple of branches, all reasonably well stocked. I can look in Tesco and see what they have in terms of gins this evening as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

irish_goat wrote: »
    Chill in Derry would be the best off licence we have but it's not quite at O'Briens level. They have a couple of branches, all reasonably well stocked. I can look in Tesco and see what they have in terms of gins this evening as well.

Thanks a lot, I checked the Asda, Sainsbury, Tesco and Morrisson websites - and while there are certainly some gins Ill buy (like Gordons Sloe Gin - cant get in the republic and I love it!!), none of them had any of the higher end gins Im after - Hendricks/Tanqueray seemed to be the height of it.

Id rather know before I go so I dont waste loads of time randomly checking off licences that just have ordinary stuff.

I should be in Chill this weekend so I'll check there as well sure.

Tesco have Greenalls regular and wild berry, Whitley Neil and Tanqueray 10 as well as the usuals.

Tesco have Greenalls regular and wild berry, Whitley Neil and Tanqueray 10 as well as the usuals.

Its really the G'Vine, Brockmans and Monkey 47 Im after - they are our staple "good gins".

• Advertisement

No sign of those in Sainsburys. They have Opihr, Star of Bombay, Boodles, Bulldog, Bloom, Adnams, Martin Millers, Plymouth, Sipsmith regular and sloe, Caorunn, Gordon's Sloe and Gordon's Elderflower.

No sign of those in Sainsburys. They have Opihr, Star of Bombay, Boodles, Bulldog, Bloom, Adnams, Martin Millers, Plymouth, Sipsmith regular and sloe, Caorunn, Gordon's Sloe and Gordon's Elderflower.

Ill definitely pop in and get some Bulldog, Caorunn and Gordons Sloe (maybe 5 bottles of that - I do have a weakness for it). Might try the Gordons Elderflower - anyone recommend it?

Is Star of Bombay similar to Bombay Sapphire?

Im finishing off a bottle of Martin Millers at the moment, I like it, very smooth, but maybe a leeetle bit bland.

Never had Star of Bombay, it was £36 so quite a bit more expensive than the rest too.

Tesco Waterside have Jawbox, Blackwood's, King of Soho, No 209 and Wlliams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I assume you're going direct and not via Belfast? The Vineyeard on the Ormeau Rd is a fantastic spot, whether or not it's worth your while diverting would depend on how much you're looking to buy I suppose..

Treadhead wrote: »
    I assume you're going direct and not via Belfast? The Vineyeard on the Ormeau Rd is a fantastic spot, whether or not it's worth your while diverting would depend on how much you're looking to buy I suppose..

Not via Belfast im afraid.

After further investigation Im just going to go to the Sainsburys in Derry - Ive picked out 10 bottles that Im happy to get a good deal on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement