Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would Ireland fair in the event of Nuclear War?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Are there any nuclear bomb shelters in the Republic? We may need them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was one up north for sale some years ago, as far as I know we have none.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was one at Custume Barracks in Athlone. I suspect it is not maintained. Capacity for the cabinet and not much else in size.

L1011 wrote: »
    There was one at Custume Barracks in Athlone. I suspect it is not maintained. Capacity for the cabinet and not much else in size.

Thanks folks, just that BBC Newsnight had an interesting section on Russia tonight, a lot of talk of Nuclear war, even down to Russian citizens familiaising themselves with their nearst HBomb shelter. Hope its just alarmist nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I work in the property / construction industry. Was given a project to inspect in about 2009 in Kilkenny. Discreet entrance, down a deep stairs to a basement. Was built to nuclear standards - so blast doors, filtered air, supplies, crisis room etc. There's a few of these dotted throughout the country.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/04/16/inside-limericks-nuclear-war-bunker/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Thanks folks, just that BBC Newsnight had an interesting section on Russia tonight, a lot of talk of Nuclear war, even down to Russian citizens familiaising themselves with their nearst HBomb shelter. Hope its just alarmist nonsense!

Part of Putin's old KGB mind games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Dig out the iodine tablets and keep them at hand, failing that duck and cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I work in the property / construction industry. Was given a project to inspect in about 2009 in Kilkenny. Discreet entrance, down a deep stairs to a basement. Was built to nuclear standards - so blast doors, filtered air, supplies, crisis room etc. There's a few of these dotted throughout the country.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2015/04/16/inside-limericks-nuclear-war-bunker/
    That bunker is grim. Would take my chances outside

Part of Putin's old KGB mind games.

true, but hes making many uneasy, even down to sailing that rusty hulk in front of tbe Brits at the weekend.

Interesting about the kilkenny structure, I was suspecting that there might be something, but just not fir the masses. We dont even have u derground stations!

Dig out the iodine tablets and keep them at hand, failing that duck and cover

Anyone remember that booklet from the 1960s on what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?

https://brandnewretro.ie/2011/11/11/survival-in-a-nuclear-war-advice-from-irish-civil-service-1960s/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Russia has the RS-28 now, reassuring powerful

Contains 10 or 15 payloads inside, when you come out of your little shelter, there will be nothing left

gctest50 wrote: »
    Russia has the RS-28 now, reassuring powerful

Contains 10 or 15 payloads inside, when you come out of your little shelter, there will be nothing left

Sounds like that prophecy "the living shall envy the dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

It's long disused - but I believe that the the hillock on the lawn in the SE of Merrion Square is the site of a WWII-era government air-raid shelter. It's sited bang (sorry) between the then German and British embassies. Location, location, location....

There's an old WW2 bomb shelter in Elizabeth Fort in Cork, hidden behind a black steel door on the left as you enter. The walls of the old forth (early 17 century I think) probably would provide more protection. Non nuclear attack of course.

saucyjack wrote: »
    It's long disused - but I believe that the the hillock on the lawn in the SE of Merrion Square is the site of a WWII-era government air-raid shelter. It's sited bang (sorry) between the then German and British embassies. Location, location, location....

The Russian bunker buster thingy can go through 2 meters of reinforced concrete apparently - Betab-500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anyone remember that booklet from the 1960s on what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?

https://brandnewretro.ie/2011/11/11/survival-in-a-nuclear-war-advice-from-irish-civil-service-1960s/

Have a copy somewhere must dig it out and be the first to review it on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Nuclear-Advice-Protection-Home/dp/B00B59NKF2 :)

The Russian bunker buster thingy can go through 2 meters of reinforced concrete apparently - Betab-500

Nice! Didnt tbe US military come up with something similar, a MOP Massive Ordinance Penetrator or something like that?

my3cents wrote: »
    Have a copy somewhere must dig it out and be the first to review it on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Survival-Nuclear-Advice-Protection-Home/dp/B00B59NKF2 :)

Im tempted to say the book will bomb but wobt..... Better hurry up, seen this tonight on Reuters
    "NATO seeks troops to deter Russia on eastern flank" - http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN12P320

Nice! Didnt tbe US military come up with something similar, a MOP Massive Ordinance Penetrator or something like that?

Dunno tbh, probably made by the same people who sell bunkers though

Dunno tbh, probably made by the same people who sell bunkers though

Just checked wikip https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Ordnance_Penetrator

Of course the American one is bigger and better, down to 200 feet😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They have and they have something called the MOAB too.
    It's a massive air Fuel Bomb or commonly known as daisy cutters ,
    Massive aerial detonated bombs that can suck out the oxygen of a certain distance from the explosion , killings everything in its path while doing minimal damage to building and structures,

Russia have similar ,
    Bunker buster wise america has then edge ,

But putin pushing the button on a nuclear strike won't ever happen ,he would be bunked off by his own friends who don't want to see their billions go up in flames

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I merged your thread with an existing one we had going about Nuclear war, seems a good fit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I merged your thread with an existing one we had going about Nuclear war, seems a good fit.

Thanks K-9 hadnt spotted that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Russian nuclear arsenal is so old and decrepit that a missile aimed at London would land in castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The Russian nuclear arsenal is so old and decrepit that a missile aimed at London would land in castlebar

The Russian nuclear arsenal is the newest in the world.

Whether it is from the sea, silos, or mobile launchers, Russia has the newest and most advanced ICBMs in existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

rossie1977 wrote: »

They have a missle coming on line that in theory could take out the state of Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is the best before date on the iodine tablets real or just part of EU legislation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

If a nuke gets touched off we'll all be back in the stone age, im calling dibs on Newgrange for my new home, just sayin

If a nuke gets touched off we'll all be back in the stone age, im calling dibs on Newgrange for my new home, just sayin

Imagine..the emp woud destory most elctonics....couldnt look at boards.ie anymore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

You are welcome to it.

You might have noticed that the hallway in there is terribly cramped!

Advertisement