Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Ye that actually did the trick. Madness!!
    It shows where Microsoft's focus is now. Everything is going mobile!

It's not actually a mobile thing at all, rather it's Microsofts attempts to sort out a problem that has been growing since Windows 95. Basically, the developers of programs weren't taking the time to update their software for an era with high resolutions displays, so programs started to look terrible on Windows (Mac moved to a different way of rendering a long time ago, and avoided some of this problem.)

Microsoft created a workaround that scaled old programs, which actually works quite well, however, it obviously clashes with the software/hardware mix of your machine. You may have been able to fix it without third party programs, there's a slider for scaling in the actual settings app, Settings > System > Display > Change the size of text, apps and other items. It may or may not work, as it scales everything as far as I know.

As an aside, to give you a hint of how slow developers are at supporting high resolutions in Windows, it's only in the last six months or so that Chrome has support for high resolutions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some good news in the latest Windows Insider build, if you have over 3.5GB of ram, then task amanger is going to split out the svchost.exe processes, so you'll be able to see what's taking up memory better.

Also, regedit is getting an address bar, so that you can copy and paste a location. Handy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CatInABox wrote: »
    Some good news in the latest Windows Insider build, if you have over 3.5GB of ram, then task amanger is going to split out the svchost.exe processes, so you'll be able to see what's taking up memory better.

That's not even the big advantage. This should help make Windows more stable and less likely to crash. Before this change, if a process in svchost started misbehaving and needed to be killed you had to kill all the processes in that svchost. Now because they are all split out, you only have to kill the one process that is misbehaving.

That's not even the big advantage. This should help make Windows more stable and less likely to crash. Before this change, if a process in svchost started misbehaving and needed to be killed you had to kill all the processes in that svchost. Now because they are all split out, you only have to kill the one process that is misbehaving.

Well, all except the system svchosts. They're still clumped together, and are probably the ones that caused the most crashes. Hopefully it works out that it's more stable, I' really like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, all except the system svchosts. They're still clumped together, and are probably the ones that caused the most crashes. Hopefully it works out that it's more stable, I' really like that.

The ones they haven't split out are ones that need a system restart to restore them. So, you get no benefits to splitting them out but still get the downsides of increased memory overhead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Anybody notice their Touchpad function in quite a jittery fashion after the Microsoft Windows 10 update of around 2 October?
    I am using an Ideapad Z500. I contacted Microsoft Oniine support and the technician took over my screen. He could not resolve it. He then asked me to clean my touchpad. :(.
    So then I gave up, and made an excuse that I would have to leave the chat.
    I have resolved the issue for now by doing a System Restore.
    I have created a restore point just in case it returns btw.
    Will report back here after I apply the next windows update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Anybody notice their Touchpad function in quite a jittery fashion after the Microsoft Windows 10 update of around 2 October?
    I am using an Ideapad Z500. I contacted Microsoft Oniine support and the technician took over my screen. He could not resolve it. He then asked me to clean my touchpad. :(.
    So then I gave up, and made an excuse that I would have to leave the chat.
    I have resolved the issue for now by doing a System Restore.
    I have created a restore point just in case it returns btw.
    Will report back here after I apply the next windows update.

One of the main reasons I dumped it and reverted to 8.1. I found going to the Lenovo site and downloading the w10 driver restored normal operation until update time rolled around again and Ms replaced it with their "better" driver. One by one I've returned my machines to either 8.1 or W7, I think it's a dreadful os.

jca wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I dumped it and reverted to 8.1. I found going to the Lenovo site and downloading the w10 driver restored normal operation until update time rolled around again and Ms replaced it with their "better" driver. One by one I've returned my machines to either 8.1 or W7, I think it's a dreadful os.
    +1

Microsoft's workaround is to run the FixIt tool from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 but it doesn't always last. I wasn't comfortable with forced driver updates so I too reverted to 8.1.

Well, I have re applied the Windows Update after going into settings and unticking "Give me updates to other Microsoft Products" (like the msmouse.inf driver I saw in Device Manager)in "Advanced Windows update options".

The Touchpad is ...OK. There is a TINY jitter again though. Ah well, I can row back to the restore point I made if it really starts to annoy me again. Or go back to Windoze 8.1. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

win 10 deciding its driver was better forced me to linux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭carveone

I'm buying some Dell laptops at the moment and Windows 10 is what you get (unless you buy an older i3-5005 which I might well do). We have software which might not work properly on Windows 10.

I have several older Dell laptops here with Windows 7 Pro install DVDs. I re-installed one or two and never had to go through activation - as far as I know the DVD has the activation codes linked to the Dell BIOS (or some such).

Would anyone know if that's the case with a later machine? ie: If I buy a new Vostro 3568 with Windows 10, should I be able to install Windows 7 Pro using the DVD without activating?

Perhaps the only real way to know is to buy one and try it!

Are they Dell-branded install discs? If so, they should activate automatically. A Windows 10 Pro licence allows a Windows 7 Professional downgrade.

you can buy dell Win 10 Pro Downgrade from Dell which gives you Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭carveone

Karsini wrote:
    Are they Dell-branded install discs? If so, they should activate automatically. A Windows 10 Pro licence allows a Windows 7 Professional downgrade.

Yes, they are Dell branded disks. I just wasn't sure if there was some link between the specific disk and the specific laptop - although that would be a massive headache for Dell so perhaps not!

I did not know a Windows 10 Pro licence allows a downgrade. That's very helpful, thank you.
    NoDrama wrote: »
    you can buy dell Win 10 Pro Downgrade from Dell which gives you Win7.

Really? All I could get them to tell me was that I could download the Win10 pro DVD from their website with the service ID number. They didn't mention this (suppose I shouldn't expect them to). Now that I know what to google for, I can see the "Downgrade rights" links on the Dell website. I'm actually entitled to use the Dell Windows 7 Pro DVD I have to downgrade.

That's extraordinarily helpful - I'm very grateful to both of you.

My home is once again without a single Windows 10 computer (3 laptop machines, 2 of which had windows 10 previously)
    The machine I am typing on is now back to it's bundled Windows 8 after Recovery Partition Activation. Now, how can I get it to Windows 8.1?

My home is once again without a single Windows 10 computer (3 laptop machines, 2 of which had windows 10 previously)
    The machine I am typing on is now back to it's bundled Windows 8 after Recovery Partition Activation. Now, how can I get it to Windows 8.1?
    The 8.1 upgrade is downloaded via the Windows Store if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I think it'll download automatically via windows update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Karsini wrote: »
    The 8.1 upgrade is downloaded via the Windows Store if I recall.

That is correct, but you sometimes gotta get a heap of Win8 patches downloaded and installed before the Store upgrade to Win8.1 will work.

That is correct, but you sometimes gotta get a heap of Win8 patches downloaded and installed before the Store upgrade to Win8.1 will work.
    Sounds like getting a copy of the 8.1 install media and doing a clean install would be much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds like getting a copy of the 8.1 install media and doing a clean install would be much easier.

As I recall though, activation in such a scenario was a pain. The 8.0 key won't work on a clean 8.1 install etc

At least one thing that's better in 10 is that whole mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Maybe move to or start a Windows 8.1 thread. This is a windows 10 thread ;)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As I recall though, activation in such a scenario was a pain. The 8.0 key won't work on a clean 8.1 install etc

At least one thing that's better in 10 is that whole mess
    Yep I remember that now you say it. But you can use any 8.1 key (even if not legit) and change it afterwards. I'd much rather do that than to spend hours updating and upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Hi all, apologies if this has been discussed. I did a search and couldn't find it. Is there a way to stop windows 10 updates? A lot of our machines are windows 10 and they keep closing to update. I've tried scheduling them for late at night but even at that, some of them grey out and can't be changed. I've gone in to regedit to try trick the ethernet into thinking there was a download limit and to stop updates but that hasn't worked either. At my wits end here with it

As painful as they are now, as an IT professional I can't recommend disabling updates. It's too risky.

As painful as they are now, as an IT professional I can't recommend disabling updates. It's too risky.

I understand that. But our software doesn't update. They're machines that just play audio on one piece of software. The updates cause that to stop which is not good. Anyway of stopping it?

Fran1985 wrote: »
    I understand that. But our software doesn't update. They're machines that just play audio on one piece of software. The updates cause that to stop which is not good. Anyway of stopping it?

Just disable network devices? If they are just standalone devices and just do one task it should matter if they are disconnected from the internet.

degsie wrote: »
    Just disable network devices? If they are just standalone devices and just do one task it should matter if they are disconnected from the internet.

I control them remotely, so need internet access.

I followed this but it went ahead this morning on one the machines anyway.

http://www.howtogeek.com/262477/how-to-set-an-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-8-and-10/

Thinking of downgrading to windows 8 so i can deactivate them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Note that Windows 10 by default has the ability to download updates from other Windows 10 PC's. These can either be on the local network or on the Internet, or both. I suspect that even if you set an interface as metered, this only applies to Internet traffic and not LAN traffic, so it may be an idea to disable this feature too.

Go to Settings > Update & security > Advanced options > Choose how updates are delivered

Some cool things coming early next year to Windows 10.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/26/windows-10-creators-update/#no9axr.8t5qK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

degsie wrote: »
    Some cool things coming early next year to Windows 10.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/26/windows-10-creators-update/#no9axr.8t5qK

I'd disagree myself. It's becoming more and more dumbed-down and filled with unnecessary bloatware that the entire thing is becoming more of a hindrance than an environment for getting things done.

All this "fun stuff" is grand for a Home version but for productivity/work purposes it really should be opt-in rather than having to fight with it every time a new version is pushed at you.

Advertisement