Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Barkley marathons

Options
  • 19-10-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

On Netflix. Worth a watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

On Netflix. Worth a watch.

Well worth a watch - mad race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

kit3 wrote: »
    Well worth a watch - mad race

Agreed! It's incredible. Watch it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'd say they'll get serious amount of entrants next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Entry Fees: The application fee is $1.60 and is non-refundable (in case it is not obvious, we are in this for the money). Applications (and application fees) will be required of both weight listers and accepted runners (this comes to more than a hundred dollars!! (Even after incidental race expenses this is a huge windfall). For accepted runners the actual entry fee will vary. For virgins (those making their first attempt at the Barkley) the fee is a license plate from your home state or country. For veterans (those who have failed at the Barkley before) the entry fee is a pair of gold-toe dress socks (dark blue or black). For alumni (any of the 14 runners who have completed the Barkley) the entry fee is a pack of regular camel filter cigarettes. It is preferred that the entry fees & entry forms be submitted thru the mail prior to the actual event, except for the cigarettes from the alumni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

“Plus, for a dollar sixty and a licence plate, if anyone complains I can just laugh” Loved this. What a great race :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Great documentary.

Was sceptical before given the "toughest" race tag. But the organisers and assorted characters make the event special.

Only one person finished it this year. Jared Campbell.

Course sounds absolutely misery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have seen it pop up on my Netflix screen, but don't want to watch it before the marathon in case it gives me nightmares. :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I received an email yesterday from Laz confirming my entry for the 'Barkley Fall Classic'... it is a "mini marathon" version of the real race. Pretty excited.

Have seen it pop up on my Netflix screen, but don't want to watch it before the marathon in case it gives me nightmares. :o :pac:

Watch it. It'll motivate you. It's nothing like a marathon lol

Djoucer wrote: »
    Watch it. It'll motivate you. It's nothing like a marathon lol

+1. DCM will look to be a breeze by comparison :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Watched it last night- really good doc. That Laz is nuts!!! Makes the Comrades marathon look like a 5k fun run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

mloc123 wrote: »
    I received an email yesterday from Laz confirming my entry for the 'Barkley Fall Classic'... it is a "mini marathon" version of the real race. Pretty excited.

Does that fall somewhere between the "Fun Run" Barkley marathon and the complete Barkley? If so best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Great watch, wonder is there an Irish number plate hanging up?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Love the rule on the last lap you must run the opposite way the as the person before you. great documentary indeed.
    are there any others running documentaries out there worth watching.

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Love the rule on the last lap you must run the opposite way the as the person before you. great documentary indeed.

I really enjoyed Unbreakable: Western States 100. More info here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

dekbhoy wrote: »

I liked The Spirit of the Marathon. There is also a Spirit of the Marathon 2 which I haven't seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Unbreakable: Western States 100. More info here

did you download it / rent it , unless im reading it wrong it says 20 something dollars to rent it ?

woody1 wrote: »
    did you download it / rent it , unless im reading it wrong it says 20 something dollars to rent it ?

I got a loan of it, sorry, didn't realise it was that pricey :eek:

Amazon or EBay might be worth a look ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

woody1 wrote: »

Google alternative places to watch/rent it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl3laLhbCsw

This is pretty interesting too

• Advertisement

Plus one for the run on the sun documentary. It's very good.

Western States is fantastic. Soundtrack is brilliant. It's €20 to buy. Think you can rent it on iTunes.

There's a good doc about three Americans who ran across Sahara. And there's a documentary on the 4 deserts race series which is worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 healapallooza

Watched this last night, mad to see an Art O'Neill challenge T-Shirt on one of the guys

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Watched it this morning early as I woke early unable to sleep with pre-marathon nerves. What a great story. I loved the way they mocked the finishers as they come in. Such a warped sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Watched this last night, mad to see an Art O'Neill challenge T-Shirt on one of the guys

On a lad from Belgium of all places. He was 9th in 2012 in the Art O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Watched this on Saturday before DCM to motivate me!

Loved the fact that they give a number to someone who has no hope just for their own amusement!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Good show, would have preferred a bit more out on the run with them though. Hard to get an overview of just how tough the terrain is.

Good show, would have preferred a bit more out on the run with them though. Hard to get an overview of just how tough the terrain is.

Pretty hard to cover the terrain with a full film crew too...

The shots that they had of the course are mostly where it intersects with fire roads etc.. so the crew could drive up with equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mloc123 wrote: »
    Pretty hard to cover the terrain with a full film crew too...

The shots that they had of the course are mostly where it intersects with fire roads etc.. so the crew could drive up with equipment.

Not hard to patch in footage from smaller cameras.
    It was just difficult to get an overview about the overall course and what was so exhausting for them.
    Still a good show though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoyed watching this.

The thing with the book pages is good. :pac:

• Advertisement

This year's edition is on at the moment.

Two runners have made it onto the last loop and are currently on the course. It's going to be tight for both of them.

Advertisement