Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV License

• 20-10-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So the tv license inspector just called and he saw that I have a tv for which I only use to watch Netflix. The tv is not connected to cable or satellite so I don't have a license. When the inspector saw the tv he said "That's all I needed to see" and proceeded to fill out a yellow docket with my name and address on it. On the part where it says Result Code and Description of TV he just wrote -NS. So I'm presuming he saw that my tv was not connected to cable or anything. I'm also presuming that I should not be expecting a letter in the door next week telling me to pay a fine as the inspector didn't warn me that I had broken the law by not having a license, in fact he was very nice. So I'm safe then yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fine on way.
    He probably doesn't bother telling as some get very aggressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

"You see, it's the law". Oh well if it's the law, surely it can't be called into question.

That ad really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hup wrote: »
    So the tv license inspector just called and he saw that I have a tv for which I only use to watch Netflix. The tv is not connected to cable or satellite so I don't have a license. When the inspector saw the tv he said "That's all I needed to see" and proceeded to fill out a yellow docket with my name and address on it. On the part where it says Result Code and Description of TV he just wrote -NS. So I'm presuming he saw that my tv was not connected to cable or anything. I'm also presuming that I should not be expecting a letter in the door next week telling me to pay a fine as the inspector didn't warn me that I had broken the law by not having a license, in fact he was very nice. So I'm safe then yes?

If your TV has a tuner then you need a licence. It is irrelevant if you only use it for Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Hup wrote:
    So the tv license inspector just called and he saw that I have a tv for which I only use to watch Netflix.

Your first mistake was letting him in. Never let them in. In future Either get rid of telly and get a computer monitor and hook up Netflix that way or watch it on an iPad etc . You will either have to pay a fine and pay for a license or they just send you a letter to get a TV license

Ooh your TV could be broke and you would still get done too . In the UK as long as your TV isn't connected to receive live TV you can have a TV .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brainoff

Same here i fall into the trap... i opened the door for him i wasn't aware who is and i have 49 inch TV where the heck i can hide it. and i use just it to connect to my laptop via HDMI no free to air TV nor anyother sort of cables. he told me to pay the Tax otherwise I will receive a fine. i told him okay that's fine I will be the tax :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Bedsit Bob

lertsnim wrote: »
    If your TV has a tuner then you need a licence.

That's not correct.

From the TV Licensing Website:-

"Do I need a TV Licence if I only use my TV for gaming or DVDs?

No. You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use."

Hup wrote: »
    and proceeded to fill out a yellow docket with my name and address on it.

How did he know your name?

dev100 wrote: »
    Your first mistake was letting him in.

Agreed.

I'll have been LLF for 9 years, come 31st December, and they know less about me now, than they did on 1st January 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    That's not correct.

No. You don’t need a TV Licence if you only use your TV for gaming or DVDs. That’s as long as you never watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use."

That quote is from a UK licence website - I presume we are discussing the Irish law here... they are not identical conditions or circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    That's not correct.

At least quote legislation from the right country and not the first Google result

If you have a device capable of receiving terrestrial or satellite broadcasts you need a licence - doesn't just mean a TV, eg a TV card in your computer means you need a licence

• Advertisement

I didn't know the OP was from the Irish Republic.

I checked their profile, but it didn't indicate their location.

You'd be right in assuming he was living in the UK asking on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

After 2 years I say the op has already been executed for not having a licence.

After 2 years I say the op has already been executed for not having a licence.

Pretty harsh punishment, maybe thats why he hasn't replied in the past 2 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I just had a similar visit at my front door. He did not come in.

I don't have a TV at all and he wrote NS on his sheet. Does it mean No Service and I'm OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

In fairness I thought he was in America given his reference to the TV License.....

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you have no tv or anything with a tuner then yes you are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Thanks!

It's true I don't have a TV or anything tuneable. He seemed to accept I don't have anything but the NS he wrote looked cryptic. He didn't leave me any paperwork either.

Advertisement