Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaelcholaiste vs English speaking secondary for my son - confused!

• 26-09-2016 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

My son is currently in a Gaelscoil (all irish speaking primary school) and doing very well there.

I've always said I would send him to the Irish seconday school (Gaelcholaiste), however, on the heels of a conversation I was having with my sister in law, I am having doubts about sending him to the secondary school.

Will it be more difficult for him to transition into a University where it's all English speaking and not with the kids he went to school with since 4?

Has anyone been through either? Pro's & Con's?

Love to hear !

Thanks!!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I assume he speaks English? He would have no more troubling transitioning than any other student who moves on. Very few people end up in college with the people they were in school with since they 4!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I really don't see the issue, it's not like he speaks only Irish at home and at school. As already pointed out , it would be extremely rare for someone to have their junior infant friends with them in college. In fact, it might be a hindrance to mixing with other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seriousally01

Oh no, I don't expect him to have same friends in college since he was 4. I mean he'll be in secondary with the same kids since he was 4, he wouldn't be meeting anybody else new until college as the classes are small in Gaelscoil/Gaelcholaiste.

It's also more that he'd be used to learning in Irish more so than in English.. will it be a hindrance..

• Administrators Posts: 13,746 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Does he do activities outside of school? Is he instructed in them in Irish or English? Do people talk to him in English? Has he friends outside of school friends? People have been going to college after being through Gaelscoil and gaelcolaiste since there were gaelscoileanna and gaelcholaistí!

If he is bi-lingual (at least, not counting French or German which he might learn in secondary) then he will have no issue whether classes are in Irish or English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Does he do activities outside of school? Is he instructed in them in Irish or English? Do people talk to him in English? Has he friends outside of school friends? People have been going to college after being through Gaelscoil and gaelcolaiste since there were gaelscoileanna and gaelcholaistí!

If he is bi-lingual (at least, not counting French or German which he might learn in secondary) then he will have no issue whether classes are in Irish or English.

Is it the subject specific terminology you are concerned about OP. Like if they are studying Biology through Irish would it transfer easily to Biology in 1st year of college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jenfreya

Hi seriousally01 🙂 I am having the exact same dilemma at the moment. Have you decided anything since posting??My daughter is in an Irish primary and has been accepted to both a community college (new one in kingswood d.24) as well as to colaiste de phiarsaigh in rathfarnham. Some of her friends are going to the Irish secondary whereas she will not know anyone initially if I send her to the English secondary. I just am unsure about Irish school, right now I can help her but at secondary school level doing various subjects through Irish I would be of no help at all and would be worried about not being able to monitor her progress/ assist her in the evenings with her work and studies. So confused!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd presume she would translate for you if it were needed, Jenfreya?

I'd presume she would translate for you if it were needed, Jenfreya?

Yeah that's true .. I suppose just a bit bogged down with her doing business and science subjects in irish and I know it would be second nature to her so perhaps I am just projecting my own fears in too my decision too much.the schools couldn't be more different one English and brand new build, the other Irish within a historic building. I am leaning toward the English one just because I feel I could be more actively involved in her studies and because I am hoping the Irish she had been exposed in primary school will at the very least be a solid foundation for her entering secondary school but her teacher told me if I send her to an English secondary she will unfortunately lose the Irish she has .. obviously she won't lose it completely but it won't be the same as she will not be exposed to it as much. Thanks so much for responding to my comments btw.. I'm in such a flap about this

It's hard to try and make the right choice. She won't lose all her Irish!

I think if you take a step back from the Irish/English issue and look at the schools without that" filter" it might be helpful to start with. I do think that your gut has already started to speak to you and you know your own child best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

You wont be actively involved in her studies in secondary school or at least you shouldnt be if she can cope herself.Secondary is completely different to primary school and your girl will be expected to manage homework herself.
    Its time for you to be stepping back now.Let her choose whichever school she would prefer.
    I dont get the going on with junior infant pals either she will make a whole new set of friends in secondary school and will more than likely lose touch with the primary school pals.
    You really need to stop over thinking this,its such a first world problem.

• Advertisement

Mary63 wrote: »
    You wont be actively involved in her studies in secondary school or at least you shouldnt be if she can cope herself.Secondary is completely different to primary school and your girl will be expected to manage homework herself.
    Its time for you to be stepping back now.Let her choose whichever school she would prefer.
    I dont get the going on with junior infant pals either she will make a whole new set of friends in secondary school and will more than likely lose touch with the primary school pals.

Thanks for taking the time to reply however I do not appreciate the patronising/dismissive tone you ended your post with. Secondary school choice is important and I was looking for input re Gael/English school hence why I replied on this thread! I'm in a flap as schools are expecting responses this week and I will not be accepting both schools for obvious reasons including it being unfair to others on waiting list! I do take your point re friends :) I of course realise she won't have same friends and that's fine lol. She is sensitive and can be unsure of herself which is why I looked at the Irish school as having perhaps slight bonus over English school in this regard. I am visiting one of the schools this week and will be making my final decision then.and willcontinue to involve my daughter to an extent however I do believe this is an adult decision and not one to be solely placed on child to make!

It's hard to try and make the right choice. She won't lose all her Irish!

I think if you take a step back from the Irish/English issue and look at the schools without that" filter" it might be helpful to start with. I do think that your gut has already started to speak to you and you know your own child best.

thats a really good idea actually! Thanks so much 😉

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Mary63 wrote: »

It is a 1st world problem but most of our problems are in fairness.
    A good education is the most important thing that we can provide for the next generation,it will equip them to deal with life,get good jobs and hopefully run the country better then our generation and the generation ahead of us are.

Advertisement