Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Tucson acceleration issues

• 11-10-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello,

I recently took a 2016 Hyundai Tucson out for a test drive from a dealer and found that the acceleration in the car was pretty terrible.

The model I tested was the Comfort Petrol model and the main issue was with accelerating during overtaking and motorway driving. Essentially, there was no acceleration at all at higher speeds.

For example, moving into the overtaking lane on the motorway to pass other cars was torture.

So, is this an issue that Tucson owners have noticed or was there some form of Eco drive mode enabled that caused it to act this way.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could well be the Eco driving mode, only way to know is go to another dealer and drive a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

What are you currently driving? If you're used to some sort of turbocharged engine a small N/A engine can be irritating due to a lack of midrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Bought a new Tucson in March, haven't had any issues like this tbh. I find it pretty nippy for a 1.7D actually (but to be fair I was coming from a 2002 1.5 Almera petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 damo3000

Thanks guys,

I currently have a 2002 BMW 318 Petrol (2 litre).

Whilst I would expect there to be more bite in the BMW, it is 14 years older than the Tucson. Plus, the complete lack of acceleration was a massive jump backwards, it was as if there was no revs at all, even dropping back in the gears.

@davo2001 Cool, well if there doesnt seem to be any issues on your end, then hopefully it was just an Eco mode. Are there different drive modes available as I did not see any on the Hyundai site and didnt notice when testing the car.

Thanks again

I only seen the bit about it being a petrol model now. Being honest it probably weighs a bit more than your 14 year old 3 Series and is smaller capacity so I'd still expect some come down on performance. Some of the models have different driving profiles such as Eco, Normal or Comfort.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bazz,

I suppose my concern was that overtaking on the motorway, there was absolutely no increase in acceleration at all. Even in a heavier but smaller capacity car I would still expect some form of acceleration. Hopefully it was just a drive profile that caused it as it actually turned me off the car completely truth be told.

Will take one out from another dealer and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

damo3000 wrote: »
    Thanks Bazz,

I suppose my concern was that overtaking on the motorway, there was absolutely no increase in acceleration at all. Even in a heavier but smaller capacity car I would still expect some form of acceleration. Hopefully it was just a drive profile that caused it as it actually turned me off the car completely truth be told.

Will take one out from another dealer and see what the craic is.
    Your BMW is more powerful and probably lighter than the Tuscon, mix that with worse aerodynamics and it's not going to be as good on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What power is in the petrol version you drove?
    I figure something like a tucson is going to need at least 140 bhp to be anyway reasonable.
    Im thinking alot of people are going to be sorry to have bought these when the shine wears off.
    The place is flooded with them. A local well to do family locally who always kept new or nearly new 5 series etc now driving around in a tucson. I dont understand the attraction myself.

The Tucson was a 1.6ltr, 132 bhp.

Again, whilst I understand that there will be less acceleration, my worry was that there was none whatsoever which turned me off completely. I just don't want it to be a case that this is actually an issue. Hopefully more Tucson drivers could comment as to whether they can actually overtake at a reasonable speed, haha.

@mickdw - personally, I need the extra space that comes with a crossover. The Tucson fits my budget and in my eyes, is the nicest one available for the value. I just hope the performance was a setting rather than the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I had the 1.7 diesel IX35 and changed to the 1.7 diesel Tucson.
    There is a huge improvement in gear changing and acceleration over the old model.

It will never be as fast as a 3 series but they are not the same type of car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'm seeing the 1.6 tucson as a turbo petrol, 7speed "dsg type" auto in other markets. About 8secs 0-100kph. ..Do we have a have a bockety version for the iris market or what?

I had the 1.7 diesel IX35 and changed to the 1.7 diesel Tucson.
    There is a huge improvement in gear changing and acceleration over the old model.

It will never be as fast as a 3 series but they are not the same type of car.

He is talking about the petrol version. Will be pretty gutless Id imagine if its a non turbo 1.6

It's a n/a engine only sold in the base model. Kia have the same engine in the Sportage too. OP, Nissan have a 1.2 turbo petrol engine in the Qashqai if that's any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Have a 1.7 diesel model, no issues with acceleration. Mind you, it's not like the 2.2 litre Honda Civic I used to drive! Also, eco mode? Maybe only on the petrol model but I've no such mode in my one.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Have a 1.7 diesel model, no issues with acceleration. Mind you, it's not like the 2.2 litre Honda Civic I used to drive! Also, eco mode? Maybe only on the petrol model but I've no such mode in my one.

Naw there's no eco mode just a non turbo 1.6 petrol engine meant for the developing world or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hello,

I recently took a 2016 Hyundai Tucson out for a test drive from a dealer and found that the acceleration in the car was pretty terrible.

The model I tested was the Comfort Petrol model and the main issue was with accelerating during overtaking and motorway driving. Essentially, there was no acceleration at all at higher speeds.

For example, moving into the overtaking lane on the motorway to pass other cars was torture.

So, is this an issue that Tucson owners have noticed or was there some form of Eco drive mode enabled that caused it to act this way.

Cheers!
    It's more of a problem than an issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hello,

Cheers!

An under-powered and ancient engine in a brick shape rock... What do you expect?

Nobody buys petrol Tucson...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Naw there's no eco mode just a non turbo 1.6 petrol engine meant for the developing world or something.
    Having eco mode in a tucson would be the oposite of putting a 2L engine in a Yaris, neither of them would work.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Having eco mode in a tucson would be the oposite of putting a 2L engine in a Yaris, neither of them would work.

1.8 Yaris T-sport do ya? Still only 130hp.
    http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/cartestreports/2007013.html

That 1.6 in the tucson must have to be almost bouncing off the limiter to get it moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I was looking at SUVs a few months back when my car was due for change (I'm getting it tomorrow as it turns out). I looked at the brochure for the Tucson and I was immediately struck by its dismal 0-100 km/hr figure claimed, it was around 13 seconds if I remember correctly. The Kadjar was 9.9 seconds in comparison. Now some people will claim that the figures don't mean much, but it's a bit like comparing Usain Bolt to myself over 100 m.

• Advertisement

youtheman wrote: »
    I was looking at SUVs a few months back when my car was due for change (I'm getting it tomorrow as it turns out). I looked at the brochure for the Tucson and I was immediately struck by its dismal 0-100 km/hr figure claimed, it was around 13 seconds if I remember correctly. The Kadjar was 9.9 seconds in comparison. Now some people will claim that the figures don't mean much, but it's a bit like comparing Usain Bolt to myself over 100 m.

Are you implying that you're doing 100m in around 12.58s... ?! Kudoz... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

grogi wrote: »
    youtheman wrote: »

Are you implying that you're doing 100m in around 12.58s... ?! Kudoz... ;)
    Reminds me years ago when my eldest was in primary school. I went to a school sports open day. And they announced there would be a 'Father's Race'. I said to myself, "I'll have some of that, I look after myself, don't drink or smoke, play a bit of five-a-side". But who did I end up beside. Michael Kiernan the great Ireland, Munster and Lions player. Suffice to say it didn't end well !.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have you looked at the Seat Ateca 1.4 TSI? 150bhp and about a 100kg lighter than the Tucson so 0-100kph in 8.5secs. Seat seem to be doing €4000 scrappage and 3.9% for 171s. If you don't need the high ride height look at the Leon St estate has a bigger boot than the Tucson or Ateca. They are doing 0%pcp in some specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Drove an Ateca yesterday and was very impressed. It was a 2.0Tdi 150ps 4x4 version though so will be different to the 1.4Tsi model, but nice cabin, comfy seats, phone holder that actually fits a modern smartphone and nice to drive.

They are having issues with production of Front Wheel Drive models though, can't order FWD 2.0Tdi versions at the moment - not sure if Petrol is affected as well.

Should be a decent seller for SEAT and deservedly so.

Ryath wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Seat Ateca 1.4 TSI? 150bhp and about a 100kg lighter than the Tucson so 0-100kph in 8.5secs. Seat seem to be doing €4000 scrappage and 3.9% for 171s. If you don't need the high ride height look at the Leon St estate has a bigger boot than the Tucson or Ateca. They are doing 0%pcp in some specs.

150 bhp will not take something like the ateca to 100 in 8.5 seconds I would have though.

mickdw wrote: »
    150 bhp will not take something like the ateca to 100 in 8.5 seconds I would have though.

It is about the shape of the power and torque curve too... The 1.4TSI is an excellent performer, in everyday driving hardly distinguishable from a 1.8TSI...

grogi wrote: »
    It is about the shape of the power and torque curve too... The 1.4TSI is an excellent performer, in everyday driving hardly distinguishable from a 1.8TSI...

Ya fair enough but still don't think 8.5s is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya fair enough but still don't think 8.5s is correct

As grogi said the 1.4 tsi offers better performance than it's specs suggest. Cars based on the MQB VAG platforn are much lighter to. I wouldn't doubt the official figures VAG cars from what I've read often outperform they're official 0-100 times.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    Drove an Ateca yesterday and was very impressed. It was a 2.0Tdi 150ps 4x4 version though so will be different to the 1.4Tsi model, but nice cabin, comfy seats, phone holder that actually fits a modern smartphone and nice to drive.

They are having issues with production of Front Wheel Drive models though, can't order FWD 2.0Tdi versions at the moment - not sure if Petrol is affected as well.

Should be a decent seller for SEAT and deservedly so.

Have only had a test drive in the 2.0Tdi 150ps 4x4 myself and was impressed at how it drove and it's not a style of car I like. Only had a spin as my brother was considering the Tucson earlier in the year but is holding out for a 171 now I think. Petrol is far better suited for his needs so I will be recommending the Seat to him. Would like the a test drive of a petrol one but the only one I can see in the Country is a 1.0 tsi. Guess I'll have to see what the engine is like in a Golf or Tiguan

Why do they not offer the full range of engines here though even to order? If the 1.4 or 1.8 tsi in the Leon ST were available to order here there's a good chance I would have gone for one. They do offer the 1.4 in the hatchback Leon FR but it's only the 125bhp version.

Advertisement