Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options
  • 10-10-2016 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

What other innovative ideas will the innovative noonan cone up with for the budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

10 cent per litre on petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

None as he's incapable of an original idea, just the same old ****e, year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Whatever the Reichstag allows him to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Probably a tax on e-juice...since they're losing a lot of their revenue stream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Protestor tax and 50c in the swear jar if anyone says Denis O'Brien. Ought to save a few million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

In 1696, England implemented a window tax, taxing houses based on the number of windows they had. That led to many houses having very few windows in order to avoid paying the tax. Eventually this became a health problem and ultimately led to the tax’s repeal in 1851.

Bring back the window tax :D:D It be a right pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

10% on cones
    15% on 99s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

A privilege tax on white males between the ages of 18 and 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Diesel is apparently to go up (which will affect commuters and pretty much everything), there'll be money/grants for first-time buyers (not many houses for them to buy in places they might actually want to though), and FF want more money for pensioners (no doubt targeting the Grey Vote for when they pull the plug on the current Government).

They might introduce their sugar tax as well. Their broadcast tax (pay the TV license fee even if you legitimately don't have a TV) is still lurking around too.

Oh and there'll be a token reduction in the USC which they hope you'll focus on to hide the fact they've taken just as much/more off you.

In other words, same old really!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Protect the vintners. Increase the money train on the legalised drug pushing that is cigartette smoking. Tweak the taxes. Protect the rich. Screw the middleclass. Placate the social welfare class.

Maybe something new like a fat tax via fizzy drinks and takeaway foods, Who knows. That's pretty much it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

What'll that bring a pack to?

A few taxes under the guise of protecting lard-arses, one on the smokers and something on off-licence booze to "protect the public from themselves". Pints a-go-go in the Dail bar after the budget though! Big session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

They'll move the furniture around a bit with small income tax reductions but cancel them out with tax hikes on other things and the only people who will really have any net benefit will be the pensioners because they are a handy vote to get for a couple of terms if you throw a few pound at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The cheeky bassturds selling fags outside the shop in ballyfermot and many other places will probably be the first to put their prices up

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

I would think they will jack up motor tax hasnt been done for few years Also Petrol & Diesel

\

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The grey vote, the fiscal space and the old reliables - Michael Noonan delivers his budget for 2017 this afternoon following exhaustive petitioning by a multitude of ministers, mandarins, marxists and madmen.

The scope of the USC is set to shrink as social welfare payments expand.

More nurses and gardai are on the cards. Funding for social housing and halting sites. Tax relief for first time buyers, the self employed and home carers as farmers and fishermen also get a look in.

Only the good news stories have been leaked so far...

More nurses and gardai are on the cards.

The owners of Coppers rub their hands together in anticipation.......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

[url]Http://www.thejournal.ie/squeezed-middle-analysis-3009557-oct2016/?utm_source=shortlink[/url] - the first comment says it all:
    The reason they’re a squeezed middle is because:
    - they earn too much to be entitled to any welfare support
    - they don’t earn enough to be able to use tax avoidance mechanisms
    If they are sick they have to pay in full to see the doctor and pay in full for any medication they may need.
    If they have to go to the dentist again they have to pay in full.
    If they wish to do a college course to up-skill they have to pay in full.
    If they are renting they have to cover the cost of rent in full themselves.
    They need to pay their mortgages in full or risk losing their family homes.
    If they need to heat their home the need to pay in full.
    If they wish to use public transport they have to pay in full.
    If they have school age children they have to pay in full for uniforms, books and the voluntary contribution.
    The tax the squeezed middle pay, pays the above for those who never intend to work. It facilitates a certain lifestyle for them. Two foreign holidays a year, driving a newer car than the person that works hard and gives up to half their income in tax.
    How about some fairness. How about giving something real back to those that kept this country afloat. Those who took pay cuts along with increased taxes. Those who are still working but still struggling.
    A substantial tax/USC cut or widening of tax bands might just help the squeezed middle get back on their feet.

Nah, looks like it will be more of the same. The pensioners get the biggest boost followed by people with children.

Single childless fellas like myself will probably still be paying an effective 50% tax on incomes over a fairly modest cut off and I'll use **** all of the services these taxes pay for.

The number of childless singles is slowly increasing in Ireland but it is a section of society that gets absolutely rode with taxes and sees the least benefit.

E: oh, and if I ended up losing my home for whatever reason I'd be the very bottom of the housing list so I'd be homeless longer than anyone else in Irish society would

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The owners of Coppers rub their hands together in anticipation.......

The new Gardai and Nurses will be rubbing their coppers together out of necessity.

Glazers Out!

Nah, looks like it will be more of the same. The pensioners get the biggest boost followed by people with children.

Single childless fellas like myself will probably still be paying an effective 50% tax on incomes over a fairly modest cut off and I'll use **** all of the services these taxes pay for.

The number of childless singles is slowly increasing in Ireland but it is a section of society that gets absolutely rode with taxes and sees the least benefit.

E: oh, and if I ended up losing my home for whatever reason I'd be the very bottom of the housing list so I'd be homeless longer than anyone else in Irish society would

In fairness, the government has to make childlessness unattractive or at least make having children more affordable, the population is aging rapidly and someone has to pay for our pensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

My God they have missed the mark so far to please the actual squeezed middle for combined income houses.

Also this new build rebate caps out the percentage increases when you get to 400k? First if all there's virtually nobody building houses and secondly any that are being built are nowhere near 400k

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So this first time buyers grant is for only newly built houses.

That's a bit of a kick in the crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah working families are making out like bandits...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In fairness, the government has to make childlessness unattractive or at least make having children more affordable, the population is aging rapidly and someone has to pay for our pensions

Less of that planning for the future nonsense

We can just import young people from other countries to do this.

Let someone else pay to raise and educate them and we'll reap the benefits of this. It's what other first world nations do with Irish young people.

Let someone else pay to raise and educate them and we'll reap the benefits of this. It's what other first world nations do with Irish young people.
    Which countries actively imported Irish young people to tackle their pension deficit?

Which countries actively imported Irish young people to tackle their pension deficit?

It's obviously not specifically done for that reason because the money for pensions just comes out of the big pot of government money but the tax paid by Irish people working abroad is a net benefit for the country they move to because, as I said, they didn't pay to raise or educate them.

We need to start pushing our society in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Let someone else pay to raise and educate them and we'll reap the benefits of this. le.

How's that working out for Germany then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus christ to apply for the child care grant you have to have your child in full time care...... are they oblivious to the facts of how the vast majority actually live today? The only people who have children in anywhere near full time care obviously can afford it already so are on well above 80k which is the newly announced cap and the rest use family and other options and its close to 50% care. The grant isnt gonna help anyone whose not already using full time care and can well afford it.

How are they not doing the obvious thing by simply making child care cheaper across the board by reducing the costs to the people running it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

The grant for first time buyers is such f*ckin nonsense. Only applying to newly built homes? What's the point in that? So frustrated with the whole thing; rents in Dublin are crazy, which in turn makes it incredibly difficult to get a deposit together, which means you have to continue renting, which means it's really difficulty to get a deposit together, which means etc etc etc.

Advertisement