Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi Irish Craft Beer Festival From Sunday 2nd Oct

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Cheers for the scans, they have a very nice selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

I haven't enjoyed a beer as much as the Coalface I'm sipping on now in a loooong time.

Fantastic beer.

Gonna buy a crate tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Nice - Mescan, Brehon and Bru Darkside are bloody good for that price.

Whens that starting ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wow that's a cracking selection! May try and stock up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I saw Carrig in a local Aldi this week and wondered what had it on their shelves; I can see now what the plan is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Wow that's a cracking selection! May try and stock up.
    It's a good selection indeed, but the prices are pretty typical, no? I mean you can get the O'Haras in Dunnes at the moment for 4 for €10, €2.99 for the Dungarvan beers would be pretty normal, McGargles - standard pricing, Rascals, etc. There's certainly a few in there I'll pick up as they're not frequently widely available, but no great bargains there. The promotion of Irish beers is great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Mescan for €2.69 is cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else. It's a unique brewery - I'm surprised they have the brewing capacity to supply to Aldi, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, massive selection in my local store, I couldn't believe it.

Too many to count.

People give out that large corporate chains don't support the small producers, but this is the opposite, albeit I now see from this thread that it's a limited duration festival.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, massive selection in my local store, I couldn't believe it.

Too many to count.

People give out that large corporate chains don't support the small producers, but this is the opposite, albeit I now see from this thread that it's a limited duration festival.

Could just be a way for them to do some relevant marketing.
    Any ones that sell well may be approached for permanent stocking.

Considering Lidl added a raft of new craft a few weeks ago it wouldn't be unusual for Aldi to follow suit and what better way than having a big selection and striking a deal with the best sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Mescan for €2.69 is cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else. It's a unique brewery - I'm surprised they have the brewing capacity to supply to Aldi, to be honest.

Those Belgian bottles caught my eye straight away. When I read the description I was sold. Actually many of those descriptions sound tasty.

Going to stop by today and pick up a lot of these. Great way to put together a big sampler at a good price. I hate paying €5 in a pub for an unknown craft beer when the majority of them are mediocre at best.

Anyone have any must-try recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I haven't had most of these so would be interested in recommendations also.

The Mescan blonde and stout are both enjoyable and well-made. Have only had them in Westport pubs before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

McGargle's Francis Big Bangin' IPA is a very good IPA when fresh

I enjoy Brehon Stoney Grey, and Rascal's Wunderbar is always solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I haven't enjoyed a beer as much as the Coalface I'm sipping on now in a loooong time.

Fantastic beer.

Gonna buy a crate tomorrow.

They had this available in Cork 3/4 months ago. One of the nicest beers I've had this year I'd say. It sold out very quickly. Stock up!

limnam wrote: »
    They had this available in Cork 3/4 months ago. One of the nicest beers I've had this year I'd say. It sold out very quickly. Stock up!

Is it similar to Kinsale black?.

Bought that by accident before and wasn't overly fussed personally.

Much prefer the IPAs, American IPAs, Belgium beers etc.
    Found it on par with Hobgoblin and Leann Folain... better than a Heineken but nothing on the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Popped in and grabbed a few the other day. As others have said the price is not compelling, but the convenience of having decent beers in Aldi would be great if they extended any of them long term.
    It's very handy that LIDL, Tesco (sometimes) and even M&S have decent beers now so you can throw in a few with the shopping rather than needing to go to an off licence separately. Having ALDI added to the list with more than just O'Sheas would be great.

Tried the stony grey and coalface last night, decent enough, preferred the stony grey.

Saving the Mescan Blonde (which I've had before) for this evening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dub_skav wrote: »
    Having ALDI added to the list with more than just O'Sheas would be great.
    Not a Spaten fan, huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Picked up several bottles last night... Superb offer from Aldi! Hopefully they'll keep at least a few long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not a Spaten fan, huh?

Not really actually. I don't drink lager much anymore. If I was really stuck I suppose a Spaten would be an option, but with a decent selection of Ales, Pale Ales etc available nearly everywhere now I wouldn't go into Aldi with just O'Sheas and some lagers available.

If they were to keep a few of these specials long term then Aldi becomes an option for picking up a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Ulster Black oatmeal stout was fantastic. Shame they had no more sold out quick smart

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Had a few of these over the last two weeks and enjoyed all of them :) I only went for half litres and they all had the same shape and size bottle and the same plain black cap. Was this a thing where teams from the various breweries went to a central brewery and did batches? No criticism, I think Wetherspoons do something similar for their festivals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Was this a thing where teams from the various breweries went to a central brewery and did batches?
    Nope, all the beers are in regular production AFAIK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of these are still in stock in Celbridge. Boom IPA and McGargles Francis are the only ones I don't remember seeing.

This wouldn't be a store where old stock lurks around (unlike the painfully dear bottle of Bush 1608 that hung around Maynooth until I put it out of its misery - as it was no longer comparatively dear) so its possible they're restocking. Nothing marking it as a special either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Does this "Festival" end on a particular date or is it when stocks run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Did anybody see any crates of Coalface lying around their local Aldi?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Did anybody see any crates of Coalface lying around their local Aldi?

Cheers.

No crates but a good supply of it in Aldi Coolock on my last visit (less that 2 weeks ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Does this "Festival" end on a particular date or is it when stocks run out?

Seems to be still good stock. It takes up a lot of shelf space so maybe pressure will come on that space closer to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I got a beer called La Goudale in aldi today 75cl

Sweet mother of jebus where has this been all my life

€2.99 when I googled it it was €6 odd everywhere else

It is absolutely beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Bazzy wrote: »
    I got a beer called La Goudale in aldi today 75cl

Sweet mother of jebus where has this been all my life

€2.99 when I googled it it was €6 odd everywhere else

It is absolutely beautiful

They seem to stock this every few months. Nice drop. It's 7e+ in an offie near me. Great price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

limnam wrote: »
    They seem to stock this every few months. Nice drop. It's 7e+ in an offie near me. Great price

She's beautiful i'll be stocking up on this for the christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This still seems to be on! Fair play to Aldi for keeping them in store.

Advertisement