Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

It's 19 years ago and she was single...like who gives a sh*t?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Speaking of pregnancies, Brie Bella confirmed today she and Bryan are expecting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Speaking of pregnancies, Brie Bella confirmed today she and Bryan are expecting :)

That's brilliant

Hopefully when DB sees the little one he'll be inspired to never get back in the ring again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That's brilliant

Hopefully when DB sees the little one he'll be inspired to never get back in the ring again

TBH I hope he doesn't if the concussion problems are as bad as they seemed.

Hopefully he gets to see his child grow up and be healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Car crash it's going to be as bad and worse than their last one all that's missing is a special guest ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Goldberg's doing this to wrestle in front of his son, but he had a few unkind things to say about Triple H during his podcast days. I wonder if they'd work that into a feud down the line.

511 wrote: »
    Goldberg's doing this to wrestle in front of his son, but he had a few unkind things to say about Triple H during his podcast days. I wonder if they'd work that into a feud down the line.

Don't worry they will have a heart to heart talk (similar to the Hogan/warrior one in 2014) which will feature on a WWE 24 mania 33 documentary, Goldberg will be the marquee name in the HOF next year is say

My logic is if ur a headline character for the WWE 2k series ur either in the HOF or u have one foot in (Warrior and Sting went from 2k headliners to the HOF, stone cold is in the hall for years etc). expecting Kurt Angle to be a the 2k18 headliner, Rey Mysterio 2k19, CM Punk down the line too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Ric is a sad case, going on like this just reminds me of the fact.

I'm sure it was possible in the 90s but it's not really the point, him saying it now only goes back to what his own ex wife said to him (according to the man himself): when is he going to grow up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭showpony1

sky88 wrote: »
    TBH I hope he doesn't if the concussion problems are as bad as they seemed.

Hopefully he gets to see his child grow up and be healthy

I wonder if WWE clear him will he be in there taking roundhouse kicks from Nakamura despite the child. "They won't let me wrestle" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

showpony1 wrote: »
    I wonder if WWE clear him will he be in there taking roundhouse kicks from Nakamura despite the child. "They won't let me wrestle" etc.

No fear of that as WWE will never clear him to perform again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dunno how legit or respected this guy is, but Justin Lebarr is reporting on Twitter that WWE have bought the TNA tape library. Corgan can keep the company, but he has to rebrand it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Dunno how legit or respected this guy is, but Justin Lebarr is reporting on Twitter that WWE have bought the TNA tape library. Corgan can keep the company, but he has to rebrand it.

That's exactly what is being discussed in the TNA Sale / Death thread, he's not the only one reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That's exactly what is being discussed in the TNA Sale / Death thread, he's not the only one reporting it.

OOps, forgot there was a thread for that! :o

How long before Vince decides to throw Roman into the Lesnar/Goldberg match and have him go over both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

How long before Vince decides to throw Roman into the Lesnar/Goldberg match and have him go over both of them.

Sure as **** would be better than Goldberg getting a competitive bout. The value of lesnars monster run is already wearing thin as it is.

Sure as **** would be better than Goldberg getting a competitive bout. The value of lesnars monster run is already wearing thin as it is.

id honestly rather watch a lesnar/goldberg match then againist anyone on the roster all down to the fact lesnar has been boring and stale since the taker matches. His matches and feuds have been meh and id rather two part timers beat the tar out of each other then see him destroy any younger talent.

id honestly rather watch a lesnar/goldberg match then againist anyone on the roster all down to the fact lesnar has been boring and stale since the taker matches. His matches and feuds have been meh and id rather two part timers beat the tar out of each other then see him destroy any younger talent.
    I think it's a bit of a waste of Goldberg. Goldberg vs Cena would have been huge and he'd have been able to let old bill get a lot of offense in (which he's surely insisted on) without the match being a misery.

They need to have a plan for lesnar losing this mania, I don't care if it's reigns or whoever, it's gotta happen.

The issue I have is they are going to give it a crappy 5/6 week build up.

Whereas if done right they could give it a 5/6 month build up to WM when two giants of the business clash the anticipation and clamour from fans to pay to see that would be huge.

Give it a 5/6 month build up that also helps Bill get back into to some sort of ring shape.

Owens vs Lesner would be good

Think the following matches might happen at Mania 33
    Cena vs Taker
    WWE universal title- Seth (C) vs Finn Balor (RR winner)
    WWE world title fatal 4 way- Orton (C) vs Aj Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Dean Ambrose
    Lesner vs Goldberg
    Triple H vs An opponent of Mick Foleys choosing (GM job on the line or something like that)
    Owens vs Y2J

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Owens vs Lesner would be good

Think the following matches might happen at Mania 33
    Cena vs Taker
    WWE universal title- Seth (C) vs Finn Balor (RR winner)
    WWE world title fatal 4 way- Orton (C) vs Aj Styles vs Bray Wyatt vs Dean Ambrose
    Lesner vs Goldberg
    Triple H vs An opponent of Mick Foleys choosing (GM job on the line or something like that)
    Owens vs Y2J

I was thinking of this the other day and was remanded didn't they want to have hhh vs rock at mania which would obiovusly fit in with mick

I was thinking of this the other day and was remanded didn't they want to have hhh vs rock at mania which would obiovusly fit in with mick

Still be awesome but it will be 2 guys in there mid 40's fighting well past there prime

It would put bums in seats and would be an OK match (ditch the pg stuff and go full rated R for old times sake)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

What's the point of a Goldberg / Lesnar match now can anyone tell me?

Ben Gadot wrote: »

giphy.gif'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

According to Meltzer the main reason is to promote the video game. Apparently Vince isn't keen on a Mania match for the two but doesn't mind the match taking place before that.

I reckon they should look for a match at the Rumble. They've a lot of tickets for that one to sell and this match would help that, plus it gives Goldberg more time to prepare for an in-ring return. I'd worry he'd gas badly if he wrestled in the next few weeks.

Personally it seems dumb to me if Goldberg goes over in the match because Brock has more matches left in him and I sense this is a 'one and done' thing for Goldberg. I'll be annoyed if they waste everything they've done with building Brock up huge only to have him lay down for a guy who's been retired for 12 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

They will probably give it away for free on Raw in a "winner gets to face Braun Strowman" match! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Cause possible Owens vs Jericho & Styles vs Orton matches don't sound must see for a dual brand show. Good enough to be big matches on B shows though.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Cause possible Owens vs Jericho & Styles vs Orton matches don't sound must see for a dual brand show. Good enough to be big matches on B shows though.

If they don't give guys like those the chance to main event Survivor Series how will they ever become big enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fans are going to shít all over that match. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

ORRRR wait 2 months and have him in the Rumble and blow the roof off the place. possible set up for him & cena at WM?

but no no, lets have him replay the match that was famous for being sh*t and have a major booking problem no matter who wins.
    "Hey, we got Brock to beat everybody so whoever beats him will be HUGE!"
    "Who do you have in mind"
    "Bill Goldberg"

or
    "We have Bill Goldberg coming back!!"
    "Oh my god thats amazing business, who's he going to be wrestling? Cena? Rollins?"
    "Better than that, Brock Lesnar! and hes going to lose!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

1st time round the match was utter ****e,years later Brock is completely and utterly boring,Goldberg is an old man retired for years so whatever show/ppv this is on no chance il be tuning in its an insult to fans.

Oh it's on it's on.

https://twitter.com/HeymanHustle/status/784090684416528384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    Dear @Goldberg - I respectfully suggest you don't confuse the fantasy of @WWEgames #WWE2K17 with the reality that is @BrockLesnar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was kind of surprised they didn't try and edit the ad to remove Del Rio

A feud centred around promoting a video game.

That'll put bums in seats.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/backstage-news-on-brock-lesnar-vs-goldberg-at-survivor-series-lesnar-s-wrestlemania-33-opponent

oh god wtf is up with Vince
    Shane Mcmahon as Lesners Mania 33 opponent ??? :(:(:(
    . I knw he can do the big spots and take a lot of punishment (like his dad can) but Lesner needs a credable challenge like Styles, Cesaro or KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In fairness Shane has always been able to hang with the best of them, and always puts on good performances in his matches. I still remember his match against Kurt Angle at King of the Ring 2001. His match with Undertaker at Wrestlemania was good too. I know how people will feel about Shane wrestling Brock over someone like Kevin Owens or AJ Styles, but believe it or not, I believe Shane has the ability to bring the big fight feel to his matches and make them special. If they put Owens or Styles in the ring with Lesnar, they'll just be jobbed out to him, but if they put Shane in the ring with him, at least Shane can take the loss and still put on a good performance all the same. Anyway, i'll be interested to see it either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shane's match with Taker was awful. It was a match building up to a stunt spot. It was a joke that they had Shane come across as a credible threat to Undertaker and if they try to present Shane as a credible threat to Lesnar it will be even more comical.

WWE have been revisionist with their history in those videos they did showing Shane facing off against Big Show for example, and The Rock in a cage. At the time the fans watched to see Shane get his ass kicked because he was NOT presented as a threat. There were chants of 'Shane's a p*ssy' at that time.

If they expect Lesnar to sell for Shane it would be an insult to the audience because realistically Brock should annihilate him inside 60 seconds, as I believe Undertaker should have done.

I don't think they will be so dumb as to foist this match on people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Say what you want if shane o mac is wrestling, you'll watch

No way Brock could stand up to Shane's striking...

punchy6.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

johnruns wrote: »
    1st time round the match was utter ****e,years later Brock is completely and utterly boring,Goldberg is an old man retired for years so whatever show/ppv this is on no chance il be tuning in its an insult to fans.

My same opinion on it. I'll be shocked if they pull off anything watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ageyev wrote: »
    My same opinion on it. I'll be shocked if they pull off anything watchable.

Couldn't be as bad as Lesnar Ambrose last year

Goldberg vs Hunter at mania somehow is my guess.

I doubt bill is even willing to face a new guy, let alone put one over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Shane's match with Taker was awful. It was a match building up to a stunt spot. It was a joke that they had Shane come across as a credible threat to Undertaker and if they try to present Shane as a credible threat to Lesnar it will be even more comical.

WWE have been revisionist with their history in those videos
    they did showing Shane facing off against Big Show for example, and The Rock in a cage. At the time the fans watched to see Shane get his ass kicked because he was NOT presented as a threat. There were chants of 'Shane's a p*ssy' at that time.

If they expect Lesnar to sell for Shane it would be an insult to the audience because realistically Brock should annihilate him inside 60 seconds, as I believe Undertaker should have done.

I don't think they will be so dumb as to foist this match on people though.

NOOOOO! WWE!? REVISIONIST HISTORY!? I WON'T HAVE ANY OF IT. SHANE IS TOUGH, TJP IS THE FIRST EVER CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION AND THERE WAS NEVER A WOMANS CHAMPION BEFORE THIS YEARS WRESTLEMANIA!

Seriously though, they are building to this match. I don't know if you missed Summerslam and the few episodes thereafter, but that is absolutely where they are going.

Monokne wrote: »
    NOOOOO! WWE!? REVISIONIST HISTORY!? I WON'T HAVE ANY OF IT. SHANE IS TOUGH, TJP IS THE FIRST EVER CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION AND THERE WAS NEVER A WOMANS CHAMPION BEFORE THIS YEARS WRESTLEMANIA!

Seriously though, they are building to this match. I don't know if you missed Summerslam and the few episodes thereafter, but that is absolutely where they are going.

I'd like to see maybe Brock vs Shane with someone eg The Rock, a returning Bobby Lashley, Samoa Joe etc at mania. It would be too similar to manias Shane vs taker match so they need to do something different if this magic is too take place at mania 33

Shane has been off tv the last while for some reason ??. They should do brock Vs Shane at the royal rumble so Brock is freed up for a proper mania challenge

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd like to see maybe Brock vs Shane with someone eg The Rock, a returning Bobby Lashley, Samoa Joe etc at mania. It would be too similar to manias Shane vs taker match so they need to do something different if this magic is too take place at mania 33

Shane has been off tv the last while for some reason ??. They should do brock Vs Shane at the royal rumble so Brock is freed up for a proper mania challenge

Yeah I honestly wouldn't mind a Brock vs Shane storyline but with Shane bringing in hired guns to try and take down Brock.

Hell have it start with Goldberg and Shane bringing him in as Goldberg beat Brock at Mania before. I would prefer it to be at The Rumble or sometime like that personally but whatever. Brock overcomes him and the next night interrupts a Shane / Steph promo (about how the rumble winner can choose which brands title to go for - hence Shane being there on Raw) it but just before he can get his hands on Shane O Mac BOOM! it's Samoa Joe out of nowhere who man handles Brock like nobody else ever has to make his main roster debut. The next SD Shane announces Brock vs Joe for Mania which thanks to the brand split will be easier to stretch over several weeks especially with them on different brands although that does not neccesarily stop them.

Even if Joe does not get the rub and go over Lesnar it'd be a great way to debut him as a huge deal while avoiding putting Shane in such a match. You could even then repeat the formula with someone like Nakamura for example.

Considering how much attention the Royal Rumble seems to always garner from lapsed fans, it seems like an infinitely better point to do Goldberg's return than Survivor Series. I can see the double whammy of the Rumble and Goldberg popping their subscription rates and those subscribers sticking on until at least Mania (by which point they'll have probably forgotten they're even paying for it monthly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Considering how much attention the Royal Rumble seems to always garner from lapsed fans, it seems like an infinitely better point to do Goldberg's return than Survivor Series. I can see the double whammy of the Rumble and Goldberg popping their subscription rates and those subscribers sticking on until at least Mania (by which point they'll have probably forgotten they're even paying for it monthly)

In 2016, it's much of a muchness when they do these things. With social media etc people know if something like this is happening.

It's not just knowledge though, part of the bump at the start of each year is the gap available due to the NFL season winding down.
    The absolutely worthless name value of a PPV that isn't one of the top 3* shouldn't be underestimated too (see the disappointing bump in buyrates for Survivor Series 2012, see also: MITB2011 vs Summerslam).

* It's a top 3, not a top 4. Don't get why people try to keep kidding themselves with that ****. It's way too soon into the brand split for that to hold any value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah but using buyrates as reliable comparison now is like me comparing how many people watched WrestleMania 2 on closed-circuit TV to this year. The business model has completely changed to constant, on-demand content, it doesn't even really matter to WWE anymore if you watch their PPVs live (or at all), just own the Network and they're happy. That's the thing people have to get their head around now, there is no 'big 4' really in terms of business, the only difference is that they're the dual-branded PPVs (which is more of a creative than business move). With regards to PPVs, WWE are now closer to Netflix's model than UFC, boxing or traditional fight business.

So if they're confident they're going to attract a lot of interest around Rumble season regardless, it then makes total sense to try get people to buy their stuff two months earlier, that's $19.98 per person extra in the bank and people will be more open to keeping the Network year round because they've broken the cycle of getting it January-April (which I imagine a lot do/plan on doing).

I mean, as a fan and lover of Mania season build-up too, I'd prefer the Rumble Goldberg debut because it would be cooler, but their logic here makes business sense.

Very good points, it seems like a pretty big gamble to me to assume that he'll be a sufficient bump to snare subscribers for 2 extra months at the stalest part of the year. If they've something in mind for mania with him, 4.5 whole months of leadup could absolutely cripple it too.

I do think a really brief really hot patch stands to give them a greater long term benefit than dumping huge draws into lulls, the product is so unbearable bloated right now that just about anything would struggle to maintain any kind of sustained interest. Another build to mania that's as bad as last years would be disastrous. Cena/Taker (there's several matches Cena could do but I really can't see how they can overlook this, absolute last chance for it) will alleviate that a lot but a big dud of a match from Brock and Bill right beforehand has the potential to run off everyone it ropes back in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement