Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

You've a grand and want a 30+yr old car, what do you go for.

Options
  • 30-09-2016 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My idea is that i need a classic i dont mind getting wet.
    Shortlist currently is
    Mini
    E36
    Orion.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A grand is very tight to get a classic in good condition,you would probably have to spend as much again to get it up to scratch. I would say a mini will be too expensive and the E36 won't be over 30 yet. suggestions are in no particular order

Nissan Bluebird
    Saab 99
    Rover P6
    VW Jetta
    Mercedes W123 or 190

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I forgot the Volvo 340, should be in budget and is well made just check for rust, true for all at 30years plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you'd only get a money pit for a grand. Buy something that someone else has already poured money into.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mini + wet = alot of rust!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Could you pick up a rover p6 for a grand??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

The Saab is interesting.
    The Bluebird never occured to me.
    Of course a Carina 11 just fits in there now, if I think japanese!
    Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I really think you would need to up your budget a bit. €1000 will only buy you a lot of problems, which will majorly impact on your enjoyment of the car, which is the point in the first place

You're going to have to go for an 80's car if the budget is small so don't forget you'll have to have it NCT worthy to be all above board

I love the idea though, I have planned to do the same many times, but always eneded up fixing them up so nice that I felt bad about using them in the wet.
    I'd be more into older classics, but Id like a 2 door morris minor or similar to drive all year round. fill it with wax and hope for the best! :rolleyes:

If you had closer to €2000 you would probably get something reasonably decent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A 30 year old plus Mini at that price will probably need as much money again putting into it. Could potentially be a money pit... rust etc.
    If you look at donedeal under that criteria, there are plenty of old yolks floating around that fit the bill but arent very desirable and are fairly scrappy. If that would do you, fine. But if you are looking for something like Mini, old Merc etc, I think you'd need a spend a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

A comparison of across the border and here in our bit of heaven throws up some interesting stuff to consider.
    If you factor in travel, government rape etc its still cheaper.
    I mean 190e versus "boxy Starlet" LOL.
    But thats not the exercise.
    I see an orion in Ros I have a friend looking at and a Civic I will be ringing about tomorrow.
    I'll keep ye in the loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-11-tl/13451574

Renault 11, needs a bit of work, but might be possible in budget

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/chrysler-hillman-hunter/12844310
    Hillman hunter, needs SERIOUS bodywork

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1980-vovlo-343/12561867
    volvo, not completley shagged, but not far off

Thats a good indicator of what a grand will get you.

there are 2 ways to handle something like this,
    1) spend a bit of money on a car, then Spend a LOT of money repairing it for no financial gain

2) spend a bit more money on a car that someone else has already sunk a Lot of money into and let them wear the losses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Saab 900's are starting to get into that territory... Maybe something like the below:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900-gls-1983/12844968

Sure, it's a couple of hundred above your budget but if all the work claimed in that ad has been done, it could be well worth the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

This sold last week..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182293722454?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was bidding on a white one the week before, didn't get it, and then missed out spotting this one.

Fly over, change the money, ferry back, you'd be home for less than a thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

How about a Robin Reliant. Not the typical Only Fools and Horses version. They are fibreglass so few rust issues economical and go for €1000/ €1400.

Be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

How about a Robin Reliant. Not the typical Only Fools and Horses version. They are fibreglass so few rust issues economical and go for €1000/ €1400.

Be different.

Be a laughing stock.. Horrible yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Perspective really!! Just cause some don't like it does not make you laughing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Be different.

Very hard to avoid potholes with them.
    On the up-side, never need to get the tracking set!

I drove one once in a St Patricks day parade :D

jca wrote: »
    Be a laughing stock.. Horrible yokes.

You can laugh with me then. I'm sure you'd have a smile on your face.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Very hard to avoid potholes with them.
    On the up-side, never need to get the tracking set!

I drove one once in a St Patricks day parade :D

I remember my uncle coming home from England on holidays with one. Ugly but would definitely make ya smile. The Reliant I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Had a Subaru Impreza for 11 years.

If minded they will last for years.

Here is some Subarus that might interest you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-subaru-legacy-limited-edition/12919842

Second you could probably get classic insurance on.

Will need some work, but its a rare car, but should last for plenty more years.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-leone-gl-low-milage/13122023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I remember my uncle coming home from England on holidays with one. Ugly but would definitely make ya smile. The Reliant I mean.

That's where you got the love for them. It just grabbed your attention, it's strange how that happens. I've a great grà for rootes hillman hunter etc because the aul lad had one when I was 12-13 that impressionable age. Everyone knows they were a heap of shoite (as did my poor suffering father) but I'd love a nice one.

• Advertisement

Another uncle had a Hillman Imp Estate it was even rare back then he had it for a long time before trading up to a dark blue Avenger same as what the Gardai used only his was on UK plates. I never had a grà for the Avenger but that Silver Imp Estate was lovely. Think is was more a dove grey than silver.

Advertisement