Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I built a new computer and used my Win 8 License from the Laptop it was installed on. But I had upgraded the Laptop to Win10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I built a new computer and used my Win 8 License from the Laptop it was installed on. But I had upgraded the Laptop to Win10.

was the original Win 8 license an OEM license ? How did you activate it on the new machine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

was the original Win 8 license an OEM license ? How did you activate it on the new machine ?

It was a new License. I had bought it of MS when win 8 was released and I upgraded from win 7. Bargain at €30 :)
    I activated it by using the Key I got when I purchased it as a download.

There are tools you can get to get the Key from Win 8 if you have lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

While Windows 10 is a good OS I have an issue with it that I hope someone may have a solution for. This is a result of a clean install not an upgrade from Windows 7.

When I power up the PC it goes past the POST sequence, shows the windows logo but then restarts and then goes through the POST sequence again but this time goes on to load windows.. Once in it works very well. I never had this issue with Windows 7.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so were you able to resolve it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

cunnijo wrote: »
    While Windows 10 is a good OS I have an issue with it that I hope someone may have a solution for. This is a result of a clean install not an upgrade from Windows 7.

When I power up the PC it goes past the POST sequence, shows the windows logo but then restarts and then goes through the POST sequence again but this time goes on to load windows.. Once in it works very well. I never had this issue with Windows 7.

If you've only installed it recently, and haven't loaded it up with all your stuff, then it, may be worth it to "reset" your PC. Go into Settings>Update and Security>Recovery and click the reset button.

I haven't had your problem, but I have sorted out problems that arose during a new install with the above. It's counter-intuitive to think that a fresh install over a fresh install would change something, but it did, and the ease with which you can do it makes it something I can recommend easier these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might be a driver issue either.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If you've only installed it recently, and haven't loaded it up with all your stuff, then it, may be worth it to "reset" your PC. Go into Settings>Update and Security>Recovery and click the reset button.

I haven't had your problem, but I have sorted out problems that arose during a new install with the above. It's counter-intuitive to think that a fresh install over a fresh install would change something, but it did, and the ease with which you can do it makes it something I can recommend easier these days.

Thanks for that. That route was tried before without success unfortunately. So I done a complete re-install of Windows 10 adding the anniversary edition (1607) and loading all the latest drivers and updates and it is happening again. But to track where the cause is could be tricky.

Is there anything in the BIOS settings that could be causing this? My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H if that is any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sometimes the latest drive is the one causing the problem. An older driver might be more stable.

I'd strip the system to the minimum hardware, and see where the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

cunnijo wrote: »

You booting using UEFI or BIOS?

You booting using UEFI or BIOS?

I am bootong using BIOS (Legacy setting).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GO to bios, set fastboot =off .
    see if it makes a difference .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I have a general question about windows 10 performance.

I have an old desktop with a E6600 intel processor. It's a dual core 2.4 GHz, and 4GB of RAM. And a low end 1GB Radeon Graphics card. I have a dual boot system with 10 and 7.

7 runs flawlessly performance wise. I have a minimum of software installed on 10 as I don't use it much.

However I find 10 lags from time to time which is putting me off from using it as my main OS, although I do like it and would prefer to start using it now.

I sense that it's more a software issue with 10 that's causing the lagging rather than my machine is not capable of running it ?

Any thoughts? My machine is above the specs required to run 10 so I can't understand why it's not running okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post rather than start a new thread, if not please feel free to move Mods.

So I have a Win 10 Lenovo X1 Laptop. I'm self employed and use my laptop daily (plugged into a large screen and keyboard at the office).

As usual I was using it last night and left it logged in when I went to bed. When I came down this morning I was greeted by the blue update screen announcing that an update was +/- 20% in progress which could take some time and require several restarts so I left it alone and went off to do some domestic chores. I came back about an hour later and the screen was blank, it wasn't powered off as the screen had that backlight hue but there was nothing happening and moving the mouse or pressing the space bar didn't pop up anything on the screen. The HDD led flashed intermittently for a split second every 30 seconds or thereabouts so I decided it must need more time and left it alone for another 45 minutes but it was still in the same state i.e. blank screen and HDD led flashing for a split second very intermittently so I decided the update must have hung. I tried hitting the ESC button and ctrl + alt + del but nothing happened and I therefore decided to hard reset/power off by holding down the power button until it shut off completely and then powered it back up again which popped the usual white "Lenovo" logo on the initial screen but it doesn't boot up and reverts to the "hung" status I referred to above i.e. the screen is powered up but blank with the HDD led flashing like mad for a short while but then settling down to a brief flash every few seconds.

Thankfully I use Dropbox for all work files and can access them via an old family PC (which I'm using right now) but I really need my laptop back working ASAP and I haven't a clue what to do.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Restart by holding the shift key are clicking restart. This should give you options to run different solutions, like restore points etc.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Restart by holding the shift key are clicking restart. This should give you options to run different solutions, like restore points etc.

Hi Kleefarr, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm a little confused, do you mean power off then power on again whilst holding down the shift button? I can't "click" anything as the screen is totally blank.

With it already powered on, hold shift key and then restart if you can.
    This should bring up various options including safe mode and recovery options.

Don't you get anything at all on the screen? POST?

Try this?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

kleefarr wrote: »
    With it already powered on, hold shift key and then restart if you can.
    This should bring up various options including safe mode and recovery options.

Don't you get anything at all on the screen? POST?

Try this?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Looks like I'm in trouble here.

When the Lenovo logo is splashed on startup there is a message displayed very briefly below saying "To interrupt normal startup press Enter"

When I press enter it brings up this blue screen

20160923-11001474625002.jpg

and when I click on the highlighted "see advanced repair options" I get this "Option" screen

20160923-11001474625113.jpg

When I click the Troubleshoot option I get this screen

20160923-11061474625310.jpg

and when I click on Advanced Options I get this screen

20160923-11071474625359.jpg

I tried the Startup Repair but that failed with the message "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" and I also tried the System Restore option but got a pop up saying "No restore points have been created".

20160923-10501474625509.jpg

It seems like the only two options left to me are:-

1. Reset the PC which means I keep my files but lose all my installed programs and settings which would be a major pain in the ar$e

20160923-11151474625843.jpg

or choose the option "Go back to previous build" which is under the "See more recovery options" link in the screen above which states that "If you're running into problems with your current preview build, going back to the previous build might fix them" and that "This won't affect your personal files, but you'll lose any changes you've made to apps and settings since your most recent upgrade" Given my most recent upgrade is presumably the upgrade which failed this morning I'm optimistically hoping going back to my previous build means going back to how everything was when I went to bed last night but I'm concerned about the bit in bold above. Is this option only for people on a beta/preview program and if so will it not work for my case?

20160923-11161474626275.jpg

Proper confused.com now and almost half my day gone with no productive work done.

C'est la vie I guess but I'd sure appreciate a steer before I make a bad choice or do something I'll later regret!!

I would go back to previous built. It'll take you back to 1507 probably.
    I actually did that yesterday trying to solve a driver issue. It's ok and will update to current version again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Agree, choose go back to previous build.

Backup, download the ISO version using the media creation tool to create a bootable USB http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

or if you have a DVD drive and disk to spare from the website...
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

and there is a better chance of success.

rant...
    These windows 10 build updates have a ridiculous failure rate especially through windows update. I've seen one windows 10 laptop demanding it's updates monopolize and saturate a medium sized business's internet for a day before being discovered. Enough time to download an ISO 10 times over. And don't suggest WSUS as a solution.
    If Microsoft don't get their update act together, the entire Microsoft cloud will have to be throttled back to a dribble during work hours.

Apologies Kleefarr, I thought I'ld posted a thank you to you yesterday.

I went ahead and rolled back the build and 10 minutes later I was back up and running.

I've now created a restore point which should automatically update prior to future "upgrades" being installed.

All good for now and thanks again, you were very helpful.

Thanks to you too Ressem, sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

learn_more wrote: »
    However I find 10 lags from time to time which is putting me off from using it as my main OS, although I do like it and would prefer to start using it now.

I sense that it's more a software issue with 10 that's causing the lagging rather than my machine is not capable of running it ?

Any thoughts? My machine is above the specs required to run 10 so I can't understand why it's not running okay.
    I have a few windows 10 virtual machines on a low power hypervisor and i have to tweak the paging file on all of them or they run poorly.

Right click start menu, select system. Then select advanced system settings on left and in the system properties box select advanced and in the performance box click on settings button. In the next performance options box click on advanced and in the virtual memory section click the change button. Make a note of the recommended paging file size in the bottom and then untick the "automatically manage paging file size" box. Then click on the custom size radio butto and put the recommended paging file size in both the initial size and the maximum size. Click set and then ok and it should prompt you to reboot, do that and you should notice a change.

There are other things too like adjusting visual effects, which is once again right click start menu, select system. Then select advanced system settings on left and in the system properties box select advanced and in the performance box click on settings button. You should be on the visual effects tab, you can click the radio button for "adjust for best performance" but it is possible to just turn off some of them to get a performance boost without windows looking like something from the 90's.

You can adjust services that are started automatically but you dont really need. Have a look at this page: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/ but be careful and read it all before making changes.

Apologies Kleefarr, I thought I'ld posted a thank you to you yesterday.

I went ahead and rolled back the build and 10 minutes later I was back up and running.

I've now created a restore point which should automatically update prior to future "upgrades" being installed.

All good for now and thanks again, you were very helpful.

Thanks to you too Ressem, sound advice.

Glad you're back up and running. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

BigEejit wrote: »
    I have a few windows 10 virtual machines on a low power hypervisor and i have to tweak the paging file on all of them or they run poorly.

Right click start menu, select system. Then select advanced system settings on left and in the system properties box select advanced and in the performance box click on settings button. In the next performance options box click on advanced and in the virtual memory section click the change button. Make a note of the recommended paging file size in the bottom and then untick the "automatically manage paging file size" box. Then click on the custom size radio butto and put the recommended paging file size in both the initial size and the maximum size. Click set and then ok and it should prompt you to reboot, do that and you should notice a change.

There are other things too like adjusting visual effects, which is once again right click start menu, select system. Then select advanced system settings on left and in the system properties box select advanced and in the performance box click on settings button. You should be on the visual effects tab, you can click the radio button for "adjust for best performance" but it is possible to just turn off some of them to get a performance boost without windows looking like something from the 90's.

You can adjust services that are started automatically but you dont really need. Have a look at this page: http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/ but be careful and read it all before making changes.

I think your a really nice person to tell me all that.

If you ever want to go out for a pint with me sometime just PM me your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/81659/microsoft-delivers-yet-another-broken-windows-10-update
    Windows update caused major problems for preview users .
    And they still released it without a fix or a warning this might cause a problem for some users .
    I using windows 7, i see no reason to go to windows 10 ,
    with its constant update problems .I have never had one problem with
    any updates on windows 7.A previous update caused millions of webcams to stop working .
    it Must be difficult for a business with dozens of pcs if windows update causes
    pcs to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is anyone else noticing that their fonts are really blurry on most apps?
    Chrome browser here is fine, but if I open something like Steam for example, then the fonts are all blurry as hell, as if the resolution is lowered. Is this something that is app specific or is their an OS change I can make to fix this? It's happening on a number of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I think that happens with very high resolution displays. Here's a fix;
    http://lifehacker.com/fix-blurry-fonts-in-windows-10-with-this-utility-1734246822

**I haven't applied this fix to any computers so your mileage may vary and I am not responsible for any dodgy stuff you end up with.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    FYI, my laptop is 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Probably not the above in that case. Guess no harm trying it anyway.

Ye that actually did the trick. Madness!!
    It shows where Microsoft's focus is now. Everything is going mobile!

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have a look.
    FYI, my laptop is 1080p.
    d31b0y wrote: »
    Probably not the above in that case. Guess no harm trying it anyway.
    1080p on anything smaller than a 17" screen will trigger DPI scaling. Hence why I stick to 1600x900 on a 15" but it's not easy.

Advertisement