Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,337 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Arnie was supposed to do a remake of this years ago and was going to be the Yul Brynner character, I think he has some practice in quiet, malevolent robots down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is going to be crap - Westworld was a nifty 90 minute diversion which didn't hang about or try to be any better/bigger than it was. Attempting to turn such genre pulp material into a long running tv series full of its own budgetary importance will result in excess portentousness and needless "back story" and "story arc" bulimia.

I'll reckon this will last 6 episodes before the plug is pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

This is going to be crap - Westworld was a nifty 90 minute diversion which didn't hang about or try to be any better/bigger than it was. Attempting to turn such genre pulp material into a long running tv series full of its own budgetary importance will result in excess portentousness and needless "back story" and "story arc" bulimia.

That's a very pessimistic view.

With the staff involved and actors too this could be awesome. I personally quite like back stories and story arcs. The general concept is a good one and it could become very successful.

You haven't even seen a minute of the show yet and you seem adamant it will fail. With the budget, staff, actors and network it is more than likely going to succeed. Can't say for definite but all the initial ingredients for the show point towards that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You got all that from one teaser trailer? Seems like there's not enough info about this show to make bold predictions about its actual format.

Westworld is a z-movie for sure, but one with a great concept underpinning it, think about it: it's set in a world where any number of your sexual, adventure, roleplay fantasies can come true, without consequence, thanks to a set of apparently unfeeling AIs. There's loads of storytelling potential right there, for both the human patrons and the AIs, who will no doubt be more than just a bunch of sexbots.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will this lead to more delays.

Westworld Extras Must Agree to Genital-to-Genital Touching
    Background players on HBO’s Westworld have had to sign consent forms agreeing to participate in “graphic sexual situations,” including “genital-to-genital touching” and posing “on all fours while others who are fully nude ride on your back.” SAG-AFTRA said it will have a representative on the set today to monitor the situation when the sex
    scene is being shot

The consent agreement was given to an unknown number of extras by Central Casting, which is casting the show’s background players. It states: “This document serves to inform you that this project will require you to be fully nude and/or witness others fully nude and
    participate in graphic sexual situations. By accepting this Project assignment, you may be required to do any of the following: appear fully nude; wear a pubic hair patch; perform genital-to-genital touching; have your genitals painted; simulate oral sex with hand-to-genital touching; contort to form a table-like shape while being fully nude; pose on all fours while others who are fully nude ride on your back; ride on someone’s back while you are both fully nude; and other assorted acts the Project may require. The Project will also include language and sexual situations that some may consider personally objectionable or uncomfortable.”

SAG-AFTRA is telling its member that the agreement may be unenforceable if it conflicts with the terms of the union’s Television Agreement, which provides that consent to appear in scenes requiring nudity or sex acts may be withdrawn at any time; that the set must be closed to anyone not having business with the production, and that no still photography may be authorized without the consent of the background actor.

The union said that it will a representative on the set Wednesday “to answer any questions.”

http://deadline.com/2015/09/westworld-extras-must-agree-to-genital-to-genital-touching-1201560056/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I wonder will this lead to more delays.

Westworld Extras Must Agree to Genital-to-Genital Touching

http://deadline.com/2015/09/westworld-extras-must-agree-to-genital-to-genital-touching-1201560056/

Sounds saucy.

In all seriousness this is the most I've been excited about a series since the original True Detective. The teaser is only a minute but looks incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Uggh, are HBO capable of making a show that doesn't include pointless nudity & sex scenes? Highbrow shows spoiled by cheap smut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,337 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

New Westworld teaser trailer.

Just coming on to post that its due to air in October.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, was just about to post that; good to finally see it on the way, considering the thread was started back in 2013! One of those shows that seemed to get lost in production limbo.

Still looks like it might be good though, do we know how many episodes will be in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

pixelburp wrote: »
    do we know how many episodes will be in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Westworld is an absolute favourite film of mine, the first film I ever saw on satelitte TV (The TNT channel :pac:)

Very interested to see what they do with this and if it lives up to the long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    New Westworld teaser trailer.

Like I said....:p Load of doomy pretentious ballcocks

Whats Abrams involvement in this ??

Haven't checked on news of this show for a while so new to me he is involved, and makes me a little less excited for this to be honest :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Abrams is the 21st century's Aaron Spelling or Leonard Goldberg. If it's on TV, he's involved at some level. Usually as an Executive Producer. It's really just about the money.

DubTony wrote: »
    Abrams is the 21st century's Aaron Spelling or Leonard Goldberg. If it's on TV, he's involved at some level. Usually as an Executive Producer. It's really just about the money.

Ha ha ha well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

johnathan nolan is the show-runner/creator for this, so hes gonna be the man for this show, abrams is just attached, i dunno why they push his name so much, i cant stand him, he has little of no input into the show and he put me off more than anything, i wanna know whos making the show, not whos getting paid most for it,

nolan is a very creative person and was the show-runner for person of interest for 5 years, and that was a great show, which is finishing up tonight, which is why this has taken so long to make, id say he was busy finishing POI, and i think POI only finished cause he wanted to make this,

the fact that nolan is making this is probably the number one reason im gonna watch it, HBO have been very hit and miss with all these big name actors and whatnot, so the fact nolan is making this and HBO were fighting him on certain elements of the show i think it a great thing, and i really look forward to it,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Release date of Sunday 02/10/2016 announced for Westworld.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/westworld-premiere-date-divorce-insecure-hbo-1201827128/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hopkins best role in years, I'd say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,503 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DMcL1971 wrote: »

Sky Atlantic to air over here and hopefully will air a day or two later there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

I get a strong, 'Jurassic Park crashes head long into Battle Star Galactica' vibe from the series. It feels like it's been a long time since we got quality hard sci-fi on TV so I'm really looking forward to this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

conorhal wrote: »
    It feels like it's been a long time since we got quality hard sci-fi on TV so I'm really looking forward to this.

Have you watched The Expanse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

conorhal wrote: »
    I get a strong, 'Jurassic Park crashes head long into Battle Star Galactica' vibe from the series. It feels like it's been a long time since we got quality hard sci-fi on TV so I'm really looking forward to this.

That makes sense since the original Westworld was directed and written by Micheal Crichton who wrote the Jurassic Park books.

Starts the 4th of October on Sky Atlantic.

Westworld the film is about to start on Sky Atlantic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

iguana wrote: »
    Have you watched The Expanse?

I'm reading the books at the moment (second book so far and thoroughly enjoying them) so I only dipped my toe into the series for a few episodes to see the world they at set in visualised. The books are better (aren't they always?), the series seems fine but could use a better lead in Holden and a director that wasn't so wedded to very standard TV shots. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh coming it witih the expectations of the novel. I will give it the full binge watch soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It took me a few episodes to really warm to The Expanse, in fact the first time I started watching it I gave up out of disinterest. It is an excellent show and easily SyFy's best since Battlestar Galactica.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

It took me a few episodes to really warm to The Expanse, in fact the first time I started watching it I gave up out of disinterest. It is an excellent show and easily SyFy's best since Battlestar Galactica.

Maybe i need to give this another shot so....enjoyed it, but lost interest after say 3 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Westworld the film is about to start on Sky Atlantic now.

Hopefully they give a cameo to the bad guy music from the film when Yul is quickly walking after his query!

Advertisement