Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looked like a second sun was going to rise

Options
  • 18-09-2016 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭

Right that's a headline to catch anyone's attention but that is exactly how it looked.
    I'm a farmer and I was walking back down the fields this evening after shutting the cows in a paddock for the night. I didn't have my phone so I couldn't take a picture (the one fe#ken time) and I knew there would be no point running home and getting it as it wouldn't last long. So I just stood watching it.
    So when I got back in now I drew out a sketch of it to explain it better.

2016_09_18_19.jpg

The sun was after setting behind the blackstairs mountains but just barely to give this effect with the rainbows and the light.
    Anyone know what this effect is called?
    To me it looked like the light was magnified like in a magnified glass and the shadows must have been caused by clouds just at the edge of the rainbow.
    Simply amazing. I have never seen anything like it. I know it's a trick of the light.
    Also note how the shadows fanned out from the centre at the horizon and it looked like the sun was just below the horizon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

I have read about this phenomena before. Cant remember the mechanism but I am sure someone will post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very interesting pedigree 6, have read about the scene you described before, I am always watching out for phenomena like this. Would it have been anticrepuscular rays by any chance see here.... http://earthsky.org/earth/how-to-see-anticrepuscular-rays

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Funnily enough, i was going to post a picture of a single parhelion I captured over west cork this evening during sunset (sd reader is acting up on the laptop , I'll put it up later when it behaves). I wonder if it is something similar / related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Very interesting pedigree 6, have read about the scene you described before, I am always watching out for phenomena like this. Would it have been anticrepuscular rays by any chance see here.... http://earthsky.org/earth/how-to-see-anticrepuscular-rays

Actually did look like that. But they stopped at the first rainbow.
    Maybe I was lucky to have that and the rainbows just combined together.

Another way of putting it the shadows looked like the sun about to rise in the morning and the shadows coming from a cloud/clouds below the horizon.

But it looked like what's in the link you put up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

ectoraige wrote: »

Yea that's me but the stupid cow wasn't interested.:P

Imagine what he would've been like if he saw a double rainbow and anticrepuscular rays at the same time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sounds like anti-crepuscular rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Finally fixed the SD reader. Parhelion (sundog) pics as promised.

CiAzaI8.jpg

H01Rhzl.jpg?1

Advertisement