Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MGB rust advice

Options
  • 18-09-2016 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at an MGB. Has some bubbles of rust but not in the usual places. Was resprayed a few years ago.

Can anyone tell me if I should avoid based on the attached photos?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Question is, do you want to buy and repair it or not. Simple.

Can you live with this as is for a while. Then when a big hole develops
    repair it.

Repair would consist of cutting out the rotten metal, and welding in new
    metal. And refinishing.

And a big hole will develop here. Finish has been applied over a non repaired surface,
    which is plainly evident by the cratering on the metal. Metal should have been cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Best to also check the other side of the panel. It looks like its coming from the join between the wing and inner wheel panel.

Best to put the car on a ramp, get a good bright torch and check it out

If its bubbles and not a structural panel, then a local repair will not cost too much...

Although red paint can be a pain to match !

Hi,

Looking at an MGB. Has some bubbles of rust but not in the usual places. Was resprayed a few years ago.

Can anyone tell me if I should avoid based on the attached photos?

Cheers!

Remember small rust pinholes increase dramatically when you start to clean around it while ascertaining what to repair.

A small 3 mm hole can quickly become a 300mm hole. Trust me, I am restoring a Type 3 at the moment, and what was effectively cosmetic repairs have turned into a major resto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

Hi all,

Thank you all for the advice. The car looks great in on the usual rust spots, but has these bubbles in these unusual spots (for an mgb).

I don't believe there's rust underneath (car has been well minded since restoration) but worried that these spots will develop quickly.

Would the rust need to be cut out, or could it be sanded down, treated with rust stopper, filled and repainted, or is that a waste of time?

I'm torn between two cars and this is the only problem with this gt.

Proper way to deal with rust......is to cut it out and replace with new metal.

You have damage from rust.....as the craters are the result of rust .

Maybe the craters have been cleaned and rust treated, and refinished.

You cant say whether there is any rust underneath the finish or not, without

stripping the finish.

Get a quote for cutting out the metal, and re finishing. Then thats a worst case scenario

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Thank you all for the advice. The car looks great in on the usual rust spots, but has these bubbles in these unusual spots (for an mgb).

I don't believe there's rust underneath (car has been well minded since restoration) but worried that these spots will develop quickly.

Would the rust need to be cut out, or could it be sanded down, treated with rust stopper, filled and repainted, or is that a waste of time?

I'm torn between two cars and this is the only problem with this gt.

Just saw this.

Why has the car developed rust since a restoration.
    If it had this prior to a restoration then why did the restorer
    choose not to restore this

I would be asking these questions.

kadman wrote: »
    Just saw this.

Why has the car developed rust since a restoration.
    If it had this prior to a restoration then why did the restorer
    choose not to restore this

I would be asking these questions.

Yes I'll ask that. Might have developed since I suppose. Maybe water is sitting there when running off the windscreen/bonnet?

I agree with you though. Given the location, there's a risk it's worse underneath. I'd be happy to fix engine issues going forward but don't want to have to cut, weld and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Based on the pics above, to me (ex-panel beater) that looks like poor preparation along those joints prior to the re-spray, i.e. the person in question didnt dry/blow out those joints which most likely retained some moisture from the rubbing-down procedure - with the above results.

If the joint underneath this area is solid, it's not a major probem to rectify this. Obviously it will require a re-paint of the affected areas.

And if you are all out of luck on the solidness of whats below the
    wing beading.

You could be looking at this repair, as happened on my own T3..........along with loads more............but I dont want to scare you:) Same area.

DSC_0149_1.jpg

http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/beetle661/media/Fastback/DSC_0149_1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=212

Silvera wrote: »
    Based on the pics above, to me (ex-panel beater) that looks like poor preparation along those joints prior to the re-spray, i.e. the person in question didnt dry/blow out those joints which most likely retained some moisture from the rubbing-down procedure - with the above results.

If the joint underneath this area is solid, it's not a major probem to rectify this. Obviously it will require a re-paint of the affected areas.

Is there an easy way to inspect underneath this area on the mgb?

• Advertisement

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/britishmotorheritage-mgb.htm

Similar to most wing/bulkhead/screen arrangement.

Probably inside the car up under the dash maybe. Camera might
    be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Looking at those pics I would disagree with you that MGB's don't usually rust in these areas. I can show you 3 all with rust here 😂

gn3dr wrote: »
    Looking at those pics I would disagree with you that MGB's don't usually rust in these areas. I can show you 3 all with rust here 😂

So you don't agree with the panelbeater above that it may just be poor preparation prior to the repaint?

I suppose the only way I'll know for sure is to somehow look inside the wing?

Craters in the metal tell you rust damage is apparent

Advertisement