Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baked anything tasty lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Can I have the recipie please? I have lots of apples to use. I generally make chutney and blackberry and apple crumble.

Sure, I got it from here- http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-brown-butter-apple-loaf-recipes-from-the-kitchn-199777

It made 23 (would have been 25 but the mix was yummy :pac:) buns and cooked for 15 mins at between Gas Mark 6/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Made some cinnamon buns.

NOW THAT IS BLOODY AWESOME! Recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I made this for my boyfriends little sister for her 21st. It's a chocolate biscuit drip cake with Nutella buttercream. I weighed it before I put the chocolates on top and it weighed 8.5lbs! They'll probably be eating it for the next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Wellyd wrote: »
    I made this for my boyfriends little sister for her 21st. It's a chocolate biscuit drip cake with Nutella buttercream. I weighed it before I put the chocolates on top and it weighed 8.5lbs! They'll probably be eating it for the next year!

That's seriously impressive looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sure, I got it from here- http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-brown-butter-apple-loaf-recipes-from-the-kitchn-199777

It made 23 (would have been 25 but the mix was yummy :pac:) buns and cooked for 15 mins at between Gas Mark 6/7.

Thanks you. The cake looks very moist which I like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

fruit soda bread
    [IMG][/img]bf609232-4f80-4396-94eb-1657af57341b_zpsfg5caf48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Terrible picture and compared to some on here it looks terrible but I have to say it tasted lovely.

Mary Berry's Cardamon & White Chocolate Cake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Vel wrote: »
    Terrible picture and compared to some on here it looks terrible but I have to say it tasted lovely.

Mary Berry's Cardamon & White Chocolate Cake

Looks like it has legs..... :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I made an apple treacle tart yesterday. By the time I thought of taking a photo, it was half-eaten. It's not much of a looker anyway, but it tastes just right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I had a craving for chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream today but didn't have time for the whole nine yards (mixers, weighing scales, ovens, preheating... etc) so I "baked" a Chocolate Mug Cake in the microwave. It hit the spot just right. Warm, chocolate and almost gooey in 1min and 40 sec.

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/the-moistest-chocolate-mug-cake/

It is the best one I've tried. I've found that any microwave cakes that contain eggs have a very tough and almost chewy consistency. The addition of Nutella in . this one adds a nice touch.

I would have added a bit of coffee into the mix to further appease my caffeine addiction but the smallies in the family wanted to share...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

Everyone posting here has inspired me to start baking again. Are there any tips for baking in a fan oven? Sometimes my cakes/bread aren't cooked in the middle...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gilma2010 wrote:
    Everyone posting here has inspired me to start baking again. Are there any tips for baking in a fan oven? Sometimes my cakes/bread aren't cooked in the middle...

Reduce the temperature a little (10 degrees) I always have to do this with older recipes that assume a conventional oven. This can combat the problem of things cooking too quickly on the outside while still being doughy inside!
    If it's an ongoing problem it might be helpful to buy a cheap oven thermometer - my old oven was very inaccurate towards the end of its days so this helped a lot.
    Other than that, for dense cakes I'm always prepared to cover it with a couple of layers of tinfoil (or a tinfoil ring to prevent pastry scorching) towards the end of cooking.
    Don't pay too much attention to the suggested cooking time in recipes though - theyre only a guide and every oven is different, so test with a skewer or wooden toothpick and if it comes out with batter on, whack it back in for another few mins and test again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Made a galaktoboureko. Greek dessert with filo and custard.

galab_zpsvvf6tiru.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Cti9P9eWYAQ4oak.jpg
    Cti8z49XYAEfQci.jpg
    Got an urge to make scones. One of them broke when was getting it on to the wire rack, so i hid the fracture with jam and butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Made this carrot cake today, really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

And this baked Alaska yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I baked an Angel Food cake last week (too late for pictures now but next time) and instead of the usual fruit salad, I made a bowl of Roasted Strawberries from a recipe that arrived in my inbox from Epicurious. The combination of light vanilla sponge, roasted strawberries and whipped cream went down well and no leftovers. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I made these delicious garlic buns to go with dinner last night. They were so fluffy! There are only two of us so I stuck loads in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ha ha. I'd say that there are more"sorry no pics, I was too slow" in this thread than all the other foody threads put together :). :)

And I'm as guilty as anyone :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made a pear & almond cake yesterday. I was too lazy to line the tin properly, I just shoved in a big circle of parchment and the creases caused indentations around the edges.

wbx5ky.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I made a pear & almond cake yesterday. I was too lazy to line the tin properly, I just shoved in a big circle of parchment and the creases caused indentations around the edges.

That's a thing of beauty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made Bakewell slices and chocolate Tiffin today, to take to a housewarming tomorrow.

w77k2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

I made Bakewell slices and chocolate Tiffin today, to take to a housewarming tomorrow.

w77k2.jpg

Now you're making me want something nice! What chocolate did you use for the top?

I used a mixture of Aldi's Dairyfine dark and milk chocolate, two parts dark to one part milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

sdp wrote: »
    fruit soda bread
    [IMG][/img]bf609232-4f80-4396-94eb-1657af57341b_zpsfg5caf48.jpg

Hi
    Which fruit Soda bread recipe did you use please?
    Looks utterly divine :)

Hi Lisha,
    Thank you, its one the family uses, very simple :)
    night before, or a couple of hours soak a good handful of sultanas in hot tea,with a teaspoon to sugar.
    then.
    450g plain flour,
    I teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 egg
    Buttermilk
    preheat oven to 220c
    strain off sultanas
    sieve flour, bicarb,salt into bowl
    mix sultanas in well till all coated in flour
    add egg and a small bit of buttermilk to break egg up, ( or you could mix egg with buttermilk first, but for me the less washing up the better :) )
    then add enough buttermik so you a a soft dough, turn onto floured board and shape, I use a 9inch cake tin, as like to make a couple at a time, one for freezer, but you don't need to.a baking tray dusted with flour,
    cut top, sprinkle little flour on top. into oven
    after 15 mins turn oven down to 180, bake for about another 25 mins, or untill done, :)

just making soda cake again, and forgot to put in recipe
    1 tbsp of butter or marg! mix in before adding sultanas,
    so sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What recipe did you use for the tiffin bars Dizzyblonde? They look amazing!

leahyl wrote: »
    What recipe did you use for the tiffin bars Dizzyblonde? They look amazing!

They taste great too - I prefer tiffin to rocky road.
    This recipe is for a 7in round tin but I doubled it to fill a rectangular tin that is 8in x 11in. I used 300g of Aldi Dairyfine dark chocolate melted with 150g of Dairyfine milk chocolate to give a thick covering on the double amount.

200g/8oz Digestive biscuits
    100g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    50g/2oz raisins
    Around 150-200g of melted chocolate

1. Grease a 7in sandwich tin and line with baking parchment or clingfilm. Seal biscuits in a polythene bag and bash into uneven crumbs with a rolling pin.
    2. Melt the butter and syrup, stir in the cocoa and raisins, then thoroughly stir in the biscuit crumbs. Spoon into the tin and press down firmly.
    3. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Spread over the biscuit base and chill until set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They taste great too - I prefer tiffin to rocky road.
    This recipe is for a 7in round tin but I doubled it to fill a rectangular tin that is 8in x 11in. I used 300g of Aldi Dairyfine dark chocolate melted with 150g of Dairyfine milk chocolate to give a thick covering on the double amount.

200g/8oz Digestive biscuits
    100g/4oz butter, plus extra for greasing
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    2 tbsp cocoa powder
    50g/2oz raisins
    Around 150-200g of melted chocolate

1. Grease a 7in sandwich tin and line with baking parchment or clingfilm. Seal biscuits in a polythene bag and bash into uneven crumbs with a rolling pin.
    2. Melt the butter and syrup, stir in the cocoa and raisins, then thoroughly stir in the biscuit crumbs. Spoon into the tin and press down firmly.
    3. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Spread over the biscuit base and chill until set.

Thanks a million, sounds really easy!!

Advertisement