Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a bet in a physical shop

Options
  • 18-08-2016 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi, this might sound like a stupid question but can i go into a bookies, simply write down a selection and price (that I saw on their website) and make the bet? The markets I want to bet on are never seen anywhere in the actual shop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

RyanDrive wrote: »
    Hi, this might sound like a stupid question but can i go into a bookies, simply write down a selection and price (that I saw on their website) and make the bet? The markets I want to bet on are never seen anywhere in the actual shop.

Depends where you go to bet.

I find that when I go into a Boylesports Shop and check their odds online there is no problem.

Where as if I go into a Paddy Power shop they will either direct me to their fcuking BGT machines or when I do collect they'll be on the phone checking to see if the odds are correct.

In one particular PP shop I'm not allowed to bet on obscure sporting events that are not on their tv screens and i was directed to the BGT machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Never had this sort of problem in a PP shop.

I check the odds online, fill in my slip and they take the bet, no matter what I'm betting on.

Have never had a problem getting paid either

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Never had this sort of problem in a PP shop.

I check the odds online, fill in my slip and they take the bet, no matter what I'm betting on.

Have never had a problem getting paid either

Well I've seen it happen in the same Paddy Power shop to a friend of mine who was directed to the BGT machines.

BTW there is now 4 BGT machines in that shop and another Paddy Power shop that is in my local town has 3.

If I'm popping into a different Paddy Power shop and I put a bet on an obscure soccer match usually they'll just scan the betting slip and nothing said just 'thank you'.

I find that if I bet on UK matches and write down the online odds 13/5 and when I collect I would only get paid out as 5/2 as that was their 'shop price'.

Also usually the delay in payment is less than 5 minutes, it is just to confirm the odds of the winning selection as they say "its not on their system" so they have to ring up to confirm the odds on the winning betting slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

I know that most bookmakers have different prices across different platforms so the online price you see might not be the shop price. This is pertinent if the event is soon to take place. BGT prices are such bad value from my experience with the only advantage that you can place the bet "anonymously" should you have your stakes reduced and want to get on, albeit at a smaller price.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I find that if I bet on UK matches and write down the online odds 13/5 and when I collect I would only get paid out as 5/2 as that was their 'shop price

Online and Shop prices are normally "slightly" different but depends on what league/tournament it is but BGT prices are way lower on nearly everything they have.
    I'd always check the price on the slip to see what they gave me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement