Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have very recent experience of VRT'ing a classic?

• 14-09-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

As the tittle suggests, I'm looking for any very recent experiences of VRTing a classic.. my particular problem is that I can't lay my hands on anything to prove my address apart from motor tax renewal reminders and insurance certificates ( bills are either electronic email jobs or in other halfs name)..

Question is, does anyone know if they will take these or will I have a problem.. appointment is tomo:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I vrt'd a classic a few weeks ago. You MUST have the following (list from official paperwork) -

- UK log book (or export cert)
    - Invoice / Receipt (hand written or printed..stating price and date of purchase and where purchased)
    - Proof of travel (ferry ticket, if purchased outside Irl or N.I.)
    - Photo ID (passport or driving licence)
    - Recent Utility Bill (in last 6 months) esb bill, bank statement, tv provider, gas bill, credit union statement, etc payslip with address)
    - Proof of PPS (or VAT) number. PPS Card, P60, Revenue letter, Health Card, Social Card, Wage slip, Tax cert)
    - Vehicle - driving
    - Letter of authority (if registered by a third party and their id)
    - Exemption letter (if applicable) from Revenue
    - Payment (cash up to €250, laser/debit card, bank draft/postal order made out to Applus Car Testing Service Ltd

Booking Line Number is - 01-4135975

They are strict on what they will accept as 'proof of address'. I rang to ask if they would accept an insurance cert and/or tv licence...but no, it had to be from their list of 'acceptable items' as listed above. You can phone the helpline (above) to confirm if you wish.

You may have to make a new appointment if you dont have the 'acceptable paperwork' - and pay the €23 'cancellation fee' when you attend the next appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Thanks Silvera, thought it might be the way!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just print out the electronic utility bill or bank statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You can also ask your utility provider to send out a one off bill if you need proof and they don't accept print outs. ESB will do this and didn't charge me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Say I have no ferry ticket or receipt of sale, what to do then...?

• Advertisement

They wouldn't accept the hand written receipt from the transport co to state when the car was brought in- needs to be on headed paper, with transport co VAT number and registration details apparently.. it has never been an issue before now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

oh yes they will but that's not what the OP is asking.

oh yes they will but that's not what the OP is asking.

johnty56 is the original poster

yeah this was the other day.. wouldn't accept the handwritten receipt, refused to complete the transaction and said I have to go back with invoice with transport co vat number etc etc

Yeah, I suppose the fact that the receipt was from a business, headed paper would be the norm. If it was merely a receipt from a private seller they would accept a hand-written version. Incidentially, if the transport company is a small company / have a low turnover they may not have a vat number - if all other details are on the headed paper I'm sure that will suffice.

What NCT / VRT centre are you using btw?
    I've learned that some centres are easier to deal with than others (like most things in life I suppose ..its depends on the helpfulness or otherwise of the person on the other side of the desk / counter!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Silvera wrote: »
    johnty56 is the original poster

ah so he is, your highlighting confused me.

It was Ballymun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

I just VRT'd a UK car last week.
    Driving licence, electric bill, P60, V5, hand written receipt from the seller.
    The inspection took 10 minutes.
    Then 3 days later I got a text and email advising to call Revenue.
    They gave me the amount over the phone, and I went back to pay the VRT the same day.
    Got the new car reg and numberplates made up with the receipt.
    Easy process, just boring waiting to pay.
    When I went back to pay you see, I had to wait my turn after the 4 inspections which were booked to times.
    So 4 x 10 minutes, 40 minutes wait to pay my VRT and get my reg.
    The inspector on the first day was sound, friendly and chatty. Knew nothing about cars, and I had to show him where the VIN numbers were.
    Second inspector I dealt with when I went back to pay was a ****; not to me, but to the 4 customers I observed. On a total power trip and curt with them; despite them all being sound lads, polite and friendly.
    So I will say this, it probably depends on which NCT centre you go to, and which inspector you get on the day; as to your experience.
    I had all my documents in order, but left feeling negative after dealing with the second inspector.
    With NCT testers they all seem sound enough, and do the job to the same standard, with the same attitude.
    But the VRT inspectors can be the best and worst of people to deal with. From sound to ****.
    For example, one of the 4 customers I observed was an old lad VRTing a tractor. A gentle country farmer, a more polite and decent man you couldn't find. But the inspector was curt and patronising to him, when he was struggling to find his paperwork needed.
    No need for that treatment at all. I could see the old lad getting upset with his treatment, but he kept his cool.
    So after I paid and got my reg I pulled her up on it. Manners cost nothing I said to her. I don't like the way you were speaking to him.
    It bugged me on the way home, enough for me to call the NCTS HQ in Dublin and request a complaint form; which they posted out the next day. So I filled it in, and reported the rude inspector for her bad attitude to the old lad.
    The thing is, we pay our VRT; so its fair enough we don't get treated like dogs when doing so. No one likes paying tax, but it doesn't have to be made a more unpleasant experience.
    I will also say this, when I VRT'd a car back in 2010 at the Revenue office, it was a better experience to the current NCTS system.
    The inspector didn't even look at my car. He just gave me the VRT rate and I paid there and then. All I had was the V5 and cash, I didn't even show him my driving licence back then; never mind a utility bill or P60.
    But I suppose that is progress for you? 7 years later, and it took 2 visits; and a 40 minute wait to pay the ****.
    It will be interesting to see the response from HQ to my complaint..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

No more swearing please.

Advertisement