Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learned in Bali - where now in Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

So i did some lessons in Bali there a few months ago. Wouldn't quiet say i learned to surf but i started. Now that i'm back home it'll be a very different experience - going from being too hot and sweating like crazy to ... well freezing bits off!!!

So now i'd like to get to a good intermediate level before i go on my travels again. I went on one trip out to a reef break in Bali but quickly learned i was very much out of my comfort zone by having a near death experience.

I read a few thread in here which recommend Bundoran and Strandhill mostly as they have surf schools very close to the beach.

Has anyone else gone from zero and learned to surf in Ireland? I'd like to hear where you went and how you got on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Got cold and very wet :D

All depends where your from and how dedicated you are

Most places have decent schools with bens surf clinic one of the best

All you need to do is keep an eye on the charts and head to the water when the conditions are right

Guessing a board and winter wetsuit, boots, gloves and hat may help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Depends on what part of the country you are in. Most people I'd know learned from scratch in Ireland. A nearby forgiving beach break with waves forming over a sandbar is ideal for beginning. After that plenty of practise, practise, practise and a good wetsuit / hood / boots / gloves combination to make your time in the water more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm in Dublin and have accepted that driving to the west coast is the best option to go surfing.

Yeah i'll see if Bens has room this weekend and wander over to see what its like. Thanks for the tip on that one.

Advertisement