Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50th anniversary of the first broadcast Star Trek

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very true. Good listen. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They really haven't capitalised on the whole 50th anniversary thing. I was expecting something at least at big as all the events surrounding the Doctor Who 50th.

I wonder why they didn't push the premier of Star Trek Beyond to bring it in-line with the actual anniversary date. I'm sure it's got to do with earning potential being higher at the start of summer rather than at the end but with the right build-up they could have had the release as the culmination of some Star Trek celebration potentially resulting in a higher grossing release, particularly since the fanbase would likely have helped bolster the advertising campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

They really haven't capitalised on the whole 50th anniversary thing. I was expecting something at least at big as all the events surrounding the Doctor Who 50th.

I wonder why they didn't push the premier of Star Trek Beyond to bring it in-line with the actual anniversary date. I'm sure it's got to do with earning potential being higher at the start of summer rather than at the end but with the right build-up they could have had the release as the culmination of some Star Trek celebration potentially resulting in a higher grossing release, particularly since the fanbase would likely have helped bolster the advertising campaign.

It has been decidedly underwhelming, not helped by there being no Star Trek on TV at the time of the anniversary, unlike Doctor Who. Even if Beyond had been used better, Star Trek's natural home has always been TV. It's a real shame.

The Doctor Who 50th special was excellent, too. Raised my hopes for Star Trek. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The film, 'For The Love of Spock' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4572820/) is a good stop gap for the anniversary..

I'm watching it right now.

Adam Nimoy specifically mentions the impetus for the creation of the film was due to 'nothing' being on the horizon, coming up to the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.

Downloaded the film courtesy of a 75% off promotion code from any Google Play Movies film. Check your Google app, you might have the same..

Advertisement